Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
89 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Vector based icon plugin - progress update
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
you could use a shared object and load it at runtime...

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@afxgroup
The less we used shared objects everythere, the faster everything will runs :) Expectually when its all about icon plugins which will be reloads those sobjes all the time (as they not really shared and so on).

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@salass00
I'm skeptical that an *optional* plugin would count as a "combined/derived works to be published as a whole". But maybe not so clear-cut...

@kas1e
I don't think SObj's need to be "slow". I never tried, but I saw there is a compilation option for the "links" in an SObj to be resolved at "on demand" (at the point they would be executed), rather than the default of at load-time. That would basically make SObjs behave like libraries, except after the first use there would be no-more dynamic look-up (so it would actually be faster).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

Not bundling as such but bundling a GPL plugin with a non-GPL program (workbench/icon.library) would be breaking the GPL license, at least according to the xvidcore developers:
http://www.xvid.org/FAQ.42.0.html

I went and asked this same question to an FSF lawyer some time ago. His answer was that it was not strictly against the GPL but it was highly frowned upon.

The primary reason the lawyer gave me was that the FSF does not want software users to be confused. Either software is "free" (as in freedom) or it is not. Therefore, the FSF don't want GPL software distributed with non-GPL software to avoid confusion.

So it really depends on how much you support the concept of "free" software. If you were a true GPL idealist, you would never use non-free software and you would always include the full source code along with any binaries without exception. Anything else would be selling out.

Personally, I like to think most users are smart enough to figure out which software is free or not and then decide for themselves sans the lawyers.

Edited by ssolie on 2012/12/6 21:09:07
ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi Salass00,

Any news about this project?

Regards,

Go to top

Register To Post