Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3)
Re: AmigaOne 500 audio is slow
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thanks Hans.

Does anyone know if the single lane PCI-E slot is useable either for an alternative sound card?

Lawrence

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans Quote:
The slight audio gaps occur only with PlayCD. Playing the CD via Tunenet works fine. The gaps still shouldn't happen, though.

My guess is that PlayCD is using a different AHI frequency to Tunenet. Perhaps only certain frequencies are supported, and all others get (badly) approximated by the closest supported frequency?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

My guess is that PlayCD is using a different AHI frequency to Tunenet. Perhaps only certain frequencies are supported, and all others get (badly) approximated by the closest supported frequency?

Since PlayCD plays CDDA data which is raw 16-bit PCM at 44.1KHz I would assume that the frequency used is 44100Hz. If the frequency in AHI audio prefs is set to something like 48000Hz this will lead to some degradation in audio quality due to resampling, the exact amount depending on what interpolation technique AHI uses.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
Does anyone know if the single lane PCI-E slot is useable either for an alternative sound card?

Lawrence

Apparently it is not available for bi-directional use. This is what I have gathered from reading here. Unfortunately. The onboard SM502 audio on my sam board is not working properly and there is no way to circumvent it. I have simply given up until a properly functioning driver has been released or the operating system has support for PCI-E.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@salass00:

The sampling frequency within AHI prefs is fixed at 48 kHz for the SM502. That may be why there are glitches in the transformation.

PlayCD reads one-second bufferloads of data from the CD into two buffers and swaps them when AHI interrupts to say the previous one is free. Since the clicks can occur more often than once per second, I imagine they are being generated within AHI or the driver.

The same PlayCD binary runs OK on a slower Sam 440, so it's not the app's fault.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
The sampling frequency within AHI prefs is fixed at 48 kHz for the SM502.

It's not a bug but it's the frequency the SM502 uses.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

graffias79 wrote:

Apparently it is not available for bi-directional use. This is what I have gathered from reading here. Unfortunately. The onboard SM502 audio on my sam board is not working properly and there is no way to circumvent it. I have simply given up until a properly functioning driver has been released or the operating system has support for PCI-E.

Darn it. I'd "happily" spend another 40quid for working sound. I would mind less if USB sound was available as I have a nice dongle around. Probably the worst of all situations, but right now my SAM460 has no speakers plugged in because I don't want to hear either crackly or slow sound.

Maybe a SAM440 would have been a better choice overall. An amiga without sound is not an amiga....

Lawrence

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
To everyone interested: I've implemented I/O access over PCI-E in the AmigaOS4.1 Sam460ex kernel some days ago, it will be available in a "next" OS update.

It will be possible to use the PCI-E 1x slot directly with supported cards (audio and SATA for example), or via a PCI-E to PCI adapter.

Max Tretene, ACube Systems Srl, Soft3
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Great! Very good news

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
This is a marvelous news !

Sam 460EX, 2Gb Ram, Radeon R7 250, AmigaOS4.1 FE
A4000 PPC604@233, Mediator
A1200 PPC603@160, Mediator
uA1 G3@800, 512 Mb [sold]
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

m3x wrote:
To everyone interested: I've implemented I/O access over PCI-E in the AmigaOS4.1 Sam460ex kernel some days ago, it will be available in a "next" OS update.

It will be possible to use the PCI-E 1x slot directly with supported cards (audio and SATA for example), or via a PCI-E to PCI adapter.

Thank you so very much!

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3)