Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »
Re: Timberwolf RC3 available
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
To me it seems Fridens have now hands full of "freetime" projects beside the "work" with Gallium and other AOS4 (SMP) tasks.

And to me it also seems that there might not be huge changes in TW untill AOS4.2 is available to offer better HW acceleration etc...

but anyway, updates to TW would be welcome.
(same for other main browsers)

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I understand that if the Friedens have not time to create a new RC, but they have a liability towards the people who payed for the bounty. I think a litte bit of information what we can expect or not for the next weeks won't be too much.

SAM 460 @ 1150 Mhz , 2GB RAM, 1TB HD +250 GB HD, 4x SATA Controller,Club 3D R7 250 + Warp3D Driver,PCIe 7.1 Soundcard,Fractal Design Define R3 artic white,AmigaOS 4.1FE, Ultra Accounts ,Mace, Dir me up, Gimp ,YAM. Turboprint 7.6
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
well I've got a good feeling about a new release close to Christmas time since most of us Amigans have been good boys this year

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

328gts wrote:
well I've got a good feeling about a new release close to Christmas time since most of us Amigans have been good boys this year

Quote:
a single drop of oil can contaminate a million drops of clean water

muhahaha

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Younghippie wrote:
I understand that if the Friedens have not time to create a new RC, but they have a liability towards the people who payed for the bounty. I think a litte bit of information what we can expect or not for the next weeks won't be too much.

Are you one of the donators? If yes, then I apologize, otherwise demanding something is a bit big, don't you agree?

Anyway, there won't be much changes in Timberwolf anymore, so much was clear. Hardware acceleration will wait until 4.2, the only thing that will still be coming is bug fixing. Thom's hospitalization has made things go slow, and in fact, he was still recovering from it up to this week.

We'll be trying to wrap this up before the end of the year. Until then, I think the current RC is pretty much usable as it is.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
It is usable. TW is the only browser I can use with my bank account

...but please, hunt this bug:

http://bugs.os4depot.net/?function=viewissue&issueid=711

Only RA OWB is able to use polish special characters. It would be great to use them on polish forums
Don't know why but it is common bug in many programs: TW, MUI OWB, Cinnamon Writer, AbiWord...
Devs, remember about other than 8859-1/15 codesets, pretty please :)))))

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

Rogue wrote:
We'll be trying to wrap this up before the end of the year. Until then, I think the current RC is pretty much usable as it is.

well, i think this depends who you ask.
i for myself would not call it "usable" on my side. i really would like to replace muiowb with timberwolf as my standard browser.
but as long as at least every second start of tw it ends in a "lock" (100% cpu usage - no more mouse/keybord input possible) and every second or third quitting ends in a grim reaper which both result in a colrd/warm reboot i simply can't do it. im sorry to say so.
afaik both is open and available in the bugtracker.
on the other hand - if it does not lock up, it feels quite good and i really enjoy using it.

on my side these two are the only two major remaining problems which need to be tracked down.

i also read from users having problems starting tw. but i really seldom see this here.

(edit)
btw:
i'm definitely willing to run some tests or send in more logs - if someone tells me exactly which ones. just contact me per mail.

regards...
michael

Edited by MichaelMerkel on 2012/11/9 19:25:14
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Hope Thomas get well soon, until then we just have to do whit what we have.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rogue

Hope he gets 100% soon.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

MichaelMerkel wrote:
Quote:

Rogue wrote:

well, i think this depends who you ask.
i for myself would not call it "usable" on my side. i really would like to replace muiowb with timberwolf as my standard browser.
but as long as at least every second start of tw it ends in a "lock" (100% cpu usage - no more mouse/keybord input possible) and every second or third quitting ends in a grim reaper which both result in a colrd/warm reboot i simply can't do it. im sorry to say so.
afaik both is open and available in the bugtracker.
on the other hand - if it does not lock up, it feels quite good and i really enjoy using it.

on my side these two are the only two major remaining problems which need to be tracked down.

i also read from users having problems starting tw. but i really seldom see this here.

(edit)
btw:
i'm definitely willing to run some tests or send in more logs - if someone tells me exactly which ones. just contact me per mail.

regards...
michael

The same problems like here
Timberwolf is not very stable and have massive problems with other internet programms like Yam and MuiOWB etc.
I get here often a CPU output from 100% I need only a few hits for this result
Before we get hardware rendering we need a very stable Timberwolf version.
Timberwolf opens here more then 20 tasks. Why?

Amiga600/Vampire2/PrismaMegaMix​/32GB CF Card/2x Rys Mk2/A604n/IndivisionECS/Gotek
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Tommysammy

Normal for the 20 tasks (or more). Rogue explained that TW is vastly multithreaded.

Regarding speed, TW is rather fast on Altivec machines (using the libcairo from RC-2).

On Sam460, unfortunately, it's rather slow. I've tested TW on X1000 and it's pretty fast.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yes it is fast but not very stable
I want have a stable Timberwolf version without locking the CPU(100%and more...)

Amiga600/Vampire2/PrismaMegaMix​/32GB CF Card/2x Rys Mk2/A604n/IndivisionECS/Gotek
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I see it the same way how Tommysammy. The 100% CPU usage can´t be fixed just with a Hardware accelleration. On our Sam440 it is very slow, but if we wait if the cpu usage Drops down from 100% (if you do nothing 10-20 seconds...) then click on a link for open another Website it is fast for a short time (till the cpu usage is 100% again), so in my opinion, if this Problem is solved it could be usable also without hardwareacceleration (perhaps fast enough till releasing it).

Hardware acceleration is very important and the only right way to boost timberwolf but perhaps there is another thing to make it usable...

@Rogue: thanks for all your work and hope that thomas get´s well soon.
Including compositing in OS4x is one of the greatest things, why it is not possible to use it in timberwolf instead/before Gallium3D (timberwolf uses shader or something compositing don´t make?)?.

Our games works well with compositing up to FullHD, yesterday we have put a 6450 with a PCI to PCI-E Bridge in the Sam440/733 and it flies with our games... Now also the Sam is ready for FullHD and 8 Layers of Parallax scolling ;)

www.amiboing.de

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Although my daily browser is MUI-OWB, the times I used Timberwolf in my Pegasos2 system didn't have these problems. Actually I don't exactly remember when was the last time TW was crashed actually. Yes, it's not extremely fast, but it's not slow as hell either. Something between probably.

Hope Thomas to recove quickly.

To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
My wishes to Thomas for a quick recovery!

As for TW, I really think language problems should be addressed before the final (special characters in polish, greek, russian writing etc), it's a very important aspect of a modern browser to be able to handle different languages correctly not only in reading but writing as well. So far, only OWB reaction has got it right.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I also suffer from Timberwolf often pausing or even permanently being unresponsive with 100% CPU usage, thus requiring a reboot. When it works, the (UNaccelerated) speed is not bad on an X1000, but the freezing makes it unusable for me. Crossing my fingers for a stability fix...

EDIT: Added missing "UN"(accelerated).

Edited by ChrisH on 2012/11/10 17:09:54
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

K-L wrote:
@Tommysammy

Normal for the 20 tasks (or more). Rogue explained that TW is vastly multithreaded.

well, tw is not always "locking" during using it. it often shows ~90% cpu load and everything is still usable. when talking about locks i don't think this has anything to do with the number of threads being executed. just that one thread is locking up at some point in time - or is waiting for any event not happening. whatever.
in one forum it was speculated that it may have smth to do with the filesystem somehow. if i see tw using 100% cpu load and stopping sometimes it helps to just start some disk activity. at least at the beginning.
but again - i thinks this all can be found somewhere in the bugtracker already.
just let's see if the last nasty problems can be fixed soon to have tw running as os4s no1 browser.

regards...
michael

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I can get TW to lock up when RAM is used up and SWAP should jump in

...but that is another story...

TW is pretty stable here, albeit not "fast" as others proclaim.

I am still using MUI-OWB because it's much more responsive, but that might be my XE with only 512MB RAM?

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Raziel wrote:
Quote:

328gts wrote:

Quote:
a single drop of oil can contaminate a million drops of clean water

muhahaha

with out hope & optimism there would be no Amiga community today.

@ Thomas

here's hoping for a full recovery soon so you can fully enjoy the holiday season

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Is there a chance someone here uses the quicknote add-on? I need it so I can save notes from a virtual keyboard in hebrew on thew web and then open them on AmiCygnix to send email. Please try and save and tell me if it works for you.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »