Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 96

mbrantley, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »
Re: Timberwolf RC2 available
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TrevorDick Quote:
So, for me at least, it works fine on a SFS partion (with the 3 RC1 files as detailed above) and on a JXFS partition (with the bookmarks proviso).

Beware that (private) Beta Tester updates may change the behaviour.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
(duplicate post)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
just thinking that most (if not all) of these RC2 glitches could have been picked up by the many beta testers running all different hardware setups for OS4.1 before release so just wondering why the bros didn't go to them first ?

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
I don't think it is possible for us to change the priority of something we reported? At least I couldn't see how to do it

Yeah the same .. we can't

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@328gts

Quote:
just thinking that most (if not all) of these RC2 glitches could have been picked up by the many beta testers running all different hardware setups for OS4.1 before release so just wondering why the bros didn't go to them first ?

Maybe because certain users are (sometimes) better than betatester ?

Well sometimes ..

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@samo79
Quote:
Maybe because certain users are (sometimes) better than betatester ?

Sometimes not. Now that we have discovered that TImberwolf RC2 will start if you use some files from RC1, I wonder how many people will make bug reports while operating RC2 in a modified way. I don't think reporting bugs using different combinations of files than the programmer is using will be at all helpful. I think we need to wait for RC3.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Well yes and no .. i mean, even if not in an ideal way this method help us to understand which library/ies was responsable of the problem, we discover an issue that depend of the filesystem, when problem specifically happen and so on .. still of course in general, sometimes can't be a correct method to test programs for sure but in this case it help.

For example using an old version of Cairo generate new problems with the mouse pointer and the links. maybe this one can be usefull as information .. just to say one

Aniway re-reading the entire thread I think we (all of us) have did an excellent betatesting, so just an help for the Friedens bros

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have gone back to Timberwolf RC1 and will wait for a future update.

My MicroA1 (µA1-C) has only 256 MB of RAM.

Timberwolf runs, but my system does not have enough RAM to use Timberwolf to its full potential.

For *me* ... it works best WITHOUT the RANDOM device.

---
redfox

Edited by redfox on 2012/7/30 5:08:11
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
Beware that (private) Beta Tester updates may change the behaviour.H

Yes, I am aware of that.

My results are with an AmigaONE X1000 with the official OS4.1 Update 5 (update 2).

However, I can also confirm similar reults with the latest betatest files.

TrevorD

AmigaOne X1000 betatester
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Update

I've performed some comparative tests of TW RC2 on various partions (on a vanilla AmigaONE X1000 installation).

FFS (RC2 Files only)
SFS (3 RC1 files subsituted to allow TW RC2 to run)
JXFS (3 RC1 files substituted as aboce)

The performance of TW RC2 running from SFS & JXFS is practically identical and almost 100% faster compared to running TW from a FFS partition, when loading complex websites (eg bbc.co.uk & stuff.co.nz). The TW startup speed is also almost 300% faster that FFS. The performance difference on regular Amiga community websites (Amigans, AmigaWorld, Amiga.org & MorphOS etc) is less noticeable.

TrevorD

Edited by TrevorDick on 2012/7/30 5:52:49
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@redfox

Have you enabled the swap partition? it should help you..

@Trevor

what do you mean with :

Quote:

My results are with an AmigaONE X1000 with the official OS4.1 Update 5 (update 2).

why update 5 (update 2)??

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@nubechecorre

Quote:
why update 5 (update 2)?

Update 2 is the second official update provided to the baseline AmigaOS4.1 Update 5 iso supplied with the AmigaONE X1000 "First Contact" systems.

In other words, the current baseline for the non-betatest A1-X1000 system.

TrevorD

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Using the new RC2 version (fresh install) I get a crash on startup every time when running it on my µA1-C. The crash is in libcairo.so.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26599983/Cras ... n_2012-07-30_13-16-02.txt

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

salass00 wrote:
Using the new RC2 version (fresh install) I get a crash on startup every time when running it on my µA1-C. The crash is in libcairo.so.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26599983/Cras ... n_2012-07-30_13-16-02.txt

Same crash I get

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

328gts wrote:
There's a potential conflict of interest if a third-party project suddenly takes a lot of resources from the beta test of the official OS. Ultimately, it boils down to: Would you like TW tested before the OS? And would Hyperion (the company, not specific persons which happen to be employed by said company while developing for that other project in their spare time).

See the conflict?

In practice, it might sometimes be possible, and sometimes not. But I do understand it if the Frieden Brothers are treading with great care. I would in their shoes.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ nbache

well yes and no because Hyperion cannot argue that a solid running Timberwolf can ultimately only benefit the overall success of AmigaOS moving forward

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

328gts wrote:

That's like betatesting a beta test version. Whether we release it to our beta testers first (which don't really have anything to do with the project) or to the general public for testing doesn't make much of a difference.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
About RC3: I'm afraid to say that RC3 is going to be delayed for like, two or three weeks. Sorry about that, there's "good" reason for it.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rogue

A bit OT, any news about a standalone SDK plugin ?
A week ago Thomas answering afxgroup said he wanted to release it along with RC2

When availible maybe afxgroup can start to compile his first plugin for Gnash, then we can test it aswell

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

samo79 wrote:
@Rogue

A bit OT, any news about a standalone SDK plugin ?
A week ago Thomas answering afxgroup said he wanted to release it along with RC2

When availible maybe afxgroup can start to compile his first plugin for Gnash, then we can test it aswell

As I said, right now, nothing is going to happen for a few days. We'll let you all know when there is something new to report.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »