Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 112

imagodespira, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Timberwolf RC2 - strange behavior on AmigaOne XE
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'm not sure if this is something unique to my AOne, but I've not seen any other postings about it yet, so here goes.

On my AOne XE G4 with OS4.1 Update 4, Timberwolf RC2 doesn't underline links or change the mouse pointer to a hand when over one, and the back/forward buttons stay greyed out (as well as context menu entries for them). Hitting the Backspace key does move me back through pages, at least.

I saw mention of problems with SFS partitions, which all of mine are, so no FFS partition I can try it from. For a quick test copied the Timberwolf folder (profile and all) to Ram: and tried it from there. It does the same thing.

Speed wise it's about the same for me as before, maybe with some slightly longer load times.

If I need to, I can format a 250 MB Zip disk to FFS and try it from there.

Anybody else seeing this?

Go to top
Re: Timberwolf RC2 - strange behavior on AmigaOne XE
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
Timberwolf RC2 doesn't underline links or change the mouse pointer to a hand when over one

Same here since i've installed the old Cairo lib from RC1 archive to RC2 so you are not the only one

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
I have the same problem, but as I mentioned on an other thread, these problems resolved when I installed timberwolf on an ffs2 partiton. Try that...

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Yup, fixed by loading to an FFS partition.

Been using SFS for ages, all my HDs in the AOne are formatted with it. RC1 worked fine from that same SFS partition, so this needs to be fixed soon as I'm not going to reformat just to use Timberwolf.....

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

samo79 wrote:
Quote:
Timberwolf RC2 doesn't underline links or change the mouse pointer to a hand when over one

Same here since i've installed the old Cairo lib from RC1 archive to RC2 so you are not the only one

I'm running RC2 on an A1XE-G3 800, with update4, from an SFS02 partition, and links are shown in blue.
When I move the pointer over them they become underlined and the mouse pointer changes to a hand.
I have other issues, bookmarks not being saved between sessions and a system freeze when trying to post replys.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Swoop : if possible, run TW RC-2 from a FFS2 partition and you won't encounter any more problem.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I m using an A1XE and the symptoms are the same as described earlier.
No hand on sfs0 or jxf4 but there is on ffs.
Speed is pretty similar on each.
Archive works fine on ffs with no alterations.
Bookmarks only work on ffs.

A1200 060/ppc Grex/Voodoo
OS 3.9

A1 G4/1Ghz born again thanks to Acube Systems.
OS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
K-L wrote:
Swoop : if possible, run TW RC-2 from a FFS2 partition and you won't encounter any more problem.

What are you calling an FFS2 partition.
I have set up a 1gb partition, set up and formatted as FastFileSystem 53.2 (DOS7). Is that what you mean?

Timberwolf runs as slow as hell, and it doesn't help that I have to re-save the timberwolf-bin evrey time I re-boot to be able to launch timberwolf.
With rc2 libcairo.so I get a program exception crash, and I have a crashlog if anyone is interested.
Without re-saving the Timberwolf-bin file before running rc2 I get an isi exception belonging to hunk/kickstart, and I also a crashlog of that if anyone is interested.
If I copy across all 3 RC1 .so libs timberwolf runs so slow I could fry an egg between pages loads.

At least on an sfs02 partition it ran at a reasonable speed, I just couldn't save bookmarks, and I had system freezes when trying to post on forums.

The time investment required for this is becoming more than the time available.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Swoop

No, it should be DOS/03. FFS 2 is the FileSystem used by AmigaOS 4, which followed FFS on AmigaOS 3.x, whith some enhancements.

See how is configured my DH2 partion in Media Toolbox : http://www.amiga-ng.org/resources/FFS2.jpg

I had a spare 1GB FFS2 partition and I followed the advice of people with AmigaOne XE/X1000 who said that TW was running ok on a FFS2 partition.

I dearchived the TW RC-2 archive on it and tried to use it. And it worked way better than on any other filesystem, and without using RC-1 files.

Warning : it won't work on AMCC 4x0 CPUs, even on an FFS2 partition, since it seems there is a conflict with tne new libcairo.

Please delete your entire TW installation. Reboot (since *.so stay in memory). Unarc the TimberWolf RC-2 archive on your FFS partition and start again.

I've been using TW RC-2 the whole day and I can tell that it is very usable on a FFS2 partition. I had no crash (I'm even typing this message with TW RC-2).

Tell us if this worked for you.

--
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

K-L wrote:
@Swoop

No, it should be DOS/03.
Why? The only difference between DOS\03 and DOS\07 is that the latter has long filename capability. For an OS4 boot partition, this is actually required, as some of the filenames are longer than DOS\03 can handle, but also for any other partition under OS4, there is no reason (that I know of) not to use DOS\07.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Copying from the other thread ...

Please note that I have a MicroA1 (µA1-C) with 750 GX CPU and 256 MB RAM. I am limited by the limitations of my system, so I may not see the same results as others who have more RAM. Timberwolf uses a very large amount of RAM on this tiny system and I do not have enough RAM to use the program to its full potential.

I installed RC2 on my small FFS2 partition.
Every launch ended in a GR.

Working better after I replaced libcairo, libpixman-1 and libsqlite3.so with the files from the RC1 release.

When I launch Timberwolf from my FFS2 partition, the main browser window opens after the expected delay, but then the program appears to freeze for about 10 more seconds while the system is loading files. After this delay, the disk activity LED blinks about once a second.

The browser seems to be usable after all the loading stops.

---
redfox
MicroA1 (µA1-C) with 750 GX CPU and 256 MB RAM
AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4

Edited by redfox on 2012/7/29 23:02:59
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have a MicroA1 (µA1-C) with 750 GX CPU and 256 MB RAM.

I copied my modified Timberwolf drawer over to one of my JXFS partitions.
This is a Modified RC2 install, relaced libcairo, libpixman-1 and libsqlite3.so with the files from the RC1 release.

For *me* Timberwolf works best WITHOUT the RANDOM: device.

---
redfox
MicroA1 (µA1-C) with 750 GX CPU and 256 MB RAM
AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4

(corrected copy/paste error regarding .so files from RC1)

Edited by redfox on 2012/7/30 1:47:06
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nbache

Well, I'm using the default values for FFS partitions. DOS/07 is also ok then

@Redfox

256MB are really too few to use TW in good conditions.

Modifying TW RC-2 using the RC-1 files is not very clean and it should be better continue using RC-1 instead of messing with different shared objects.

Indeed, when launching TW RC-2 just after having started my AmigaOne I encounter a Grim Reaper (that I can ignore) but at 2nd launch, no more trouble.

BTW, I am using RANDOM: device without any trouble.

A reminder : use only a clean install of TW RC-2 on a FFS2 partition, not a messed (or used) one.

--
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
DOS\02 is OldFileSystem, AmigaOS2.x or older.
Only use DOS\03 if you need to share partitions whit AmigaOS3.x.
DOS\07 supports long file names 127 chars long, DOS\03 only support 32 chars long names.
Some programs needs long names, generals speaking SFS is the best file system, fast file-system was okay on Floppy disks but is not efficient on hard-drives.

I'm wait for Timberwolf rc3, I'm not going to reformat my hard drive because the web browser is buggy. It does not make sense to me that file system should break this browser, rc2 worked on SFS.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2012/7/31 8:32:58
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt : RC-1 worked on SFS (not RC-2).

True indeed about the fact that you should not have to reformat in FFS any of your partition.

Fortunately I had a spare one for some tests. Otherwise I would have done like you : wait for the next release.

--
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have gone back to Timberwolf RC1 and will wait for a future update.

My MicroA1 (µA1-C) has only 256 MB of RAM.

Timberwolf runs, but my system does not have enough RAM to use Timberwolf to its full potential.

For *me* ... it works best WITHOUT the RANDOM device.

---
redfox

Edited by redfox on 2012/7/30 5:08:46
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I must be one of the lucky ones. I have only tried it on the A1 so far. I have a 1 GHz 7455 (operating at 1.066 MHz) and 512 MB of memory. I have a separate partition for Timberwolf, and I have experimented with different filesystems in that partition.

My OS is the current betatester installation. My test page is my Home page, www.abc.net.au/news. I fetch the test page by clicking in the URL and typing the address above. I run a Shell with "top" so that I can see how much CPU time the browser is using.

Using the setup just described, I have no problems starting or loading. I have not changed any libraries and each test below is with a clean install of TW into the clean, newly formatted partition.

On all filesystems tested, the CPU usage settles down to a few per cent after the start pages are loaded. As soon as I click in the URL gadget, the CPU usage jumps to > 90% and stays there until I hit Enter. If the page can't be found (due to a typo, for instance), the browser hangs with no CPU usage and the system must be rebooted.

FFS\07: Loads very slowly but works OK with test page.
SFS\00: Unusable. Loads Firefox and Timberwolf project pages OK but becomes unresponsive as soon as I type in a URL.
SFS\02: Same as SFS\00.
JXFS\04: Much faster than other FS. Works OK with test page.

The TW browser uses about the same amount of CPU time as OWB when in steady-state on the test page (RA-OWB). It's nice to see the fonts now at a normal size, but I still don't like the fact that TW, like MUI-OWB, shows all fonts as sans-serif, ignoring settings. IBrowse and RA-OWB default to serif fonts, which look so much better in a text document.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Tonyw

Yes, only a test page works ok on JXFS but bookmarks don't for example.

So we are as lucky as you since we get the exact same result. And this is on FFS2 that TW works without any trouble

--
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
K-L wrote:

Timberwolf RC2 on a Dos/03 or Dos/07 is a PITA.
So slow it is unusable, bookmarks don't work [no save bookmarks window], and page loading is so slow I could boil an egg whilst waiting.
TW is much better on an SFS2 partition.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

LiveForIt wrote:
DOS\02 is OldFileSystem, AmigaOS2.x or older.
Only use DOS\03 if you need to share partitions whit AmigaOS3.x.

If you still have the 4.0 CD there is nothing stopping you using l:fastfilesystem from that (V52.6 iirc) on a 3.x 68K system then DOS/07 is available. 4.1 Classic owners will find it on their CD too, not sure if it on the XE, PEG2, SAM or X1000 4.1 CD's probably not.

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »