Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 87

sailor, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 »
Re: New TimberWolf beta available
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris
Quote:
Bookmarks don't work here either

They still don't work on my SAM Flex either. However, I made an interresting discovery while running Snoopy to find out if something was missing when I tried to save a bookmark. TW was looking for the AmigaDOS device "RANDOM:" which isn't mounted on my system. When I mounted "RAMDOM:" TW acted very differently. Here are the differences:

WIth RANDOM: mounted>
1. The links on the "bookmarks.html" page I am using as a homepage are black instead of blue.
2. The pointer becomes the text pointer over a link instead of the link pointer that is normally used (little hand).
3. The URL string gadget at the top doesn't show the current page anymore. Instead it shows a previous URL or the text: "Go To a WEB site".
4. The bookmarks window has icons in it (file & folder icons) but saving bookmarks still doesn't work.

Without RANDOM: mounted>
1. Text links on my "bookmarks.html" homepage are blue.
2. The correct pointer images are used (little hand for links).
3. The URL for the current page is shown correctly.
4. THere are no icons in the bookmarks window and bookmark saving doesn't work.

It seems like TW keeps working with certain errors (like missing RAMDOM: device) but everything works differently. Really strange. See what happens on your system if you run TW with RANDOM: mounted and without RANDOM: mounted. I'd like to know if the differences are consistant in everyones system.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Great that pop-up menus (from right mouse button) now work

But I'm disappointed to report that it is no-longer possible to import bookmarks. I can select the HTML file using the new ASL requester, but nothing happens. I guess the ASL requester broke it... The Error Console reports (may contain typos as Copying it does not work):

uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nslPlacesImportExportService.importHTMLFromFile]" nsresult: "0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://browser/content/places/places.js :: PO_importFromFile :: line 375" data: no]

So what I had to do was transfer my old CurrentUserProfile folder to the new TimberWolf install. So new users will somehow need to get hold of the old version to import their bookmarks...

I also discovered that not-only do old TimberWolf executable/libraries remain in memory after it quits, but so do Bookmarks & Toolbars (and presumably the whole user SQL database thingy). So must reset after replacing the CurrentUserProfile folder, for the new bookmarks to be visible.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Wow, add-ons now work! e.g. NoScript, AdBlock Plus... and especially Grab'n'Drag (for which scrolling is actually pretty good on my X1000).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@xenic

Without RANDOM: mounted> ... Confirmed mine is the same.

WIth RANDOM: mounted> ... Confirmed 1,2,3 mine is the same. Did not see 4 until after you posted. I cannot duplicate 4. My system crashes next time I launch TW after running TW once with RANDOM: mounted. Then I have to power off and on to bring it back to a stable working condition.

---
redfox
MicroA1 with IBM PPC 750 GX CPU and 256MB RAM
AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
After I posted my previous post, I quit TimberWolf, relaunched TimberWolf. My homepage came up with the list of links but none of the links were blue. System froze solid as soon as I moved the mouse. Back to the drawing board. I will delete TW and reinstall again and see what happens.

Update...
Reinstalled new TimberWolf beta and seems to be working again with my homepage.

Edited by redfox on 2012/3/30 3:11:37
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Bookmarks do work now and so does import from muiOWB.

They did not until I deleted the timberwolf folder and extracted, as Trevor did, to the harddrive. On the A1-X1000 I also redid the fontconfig so had done two things to confuse the matter. I then went and installed similarly on an A1 XE without redoing the font config and the bookmarks worked as well as import.

Of course there are other things. TW appeared to freeze when I hit preview on this message. I did a soft reboot. TW reopened at the same point less one line so I could continue this message.

Noel

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Among other things:

Page setup in the file menu does not work.

If I highlight text or select all in the edit menu the highlight does not vanish with Crl-C or copy and nothing turns up on the clipboard. However I can 'save page as" so all is not lost though why a downloads window appears, forming verrry slowly, beats me.
Noel

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ hotrod

Thanks, that is quite useful. I have one Amiga here that also exhibits the problem with not being able to store bookmarks, so chances are good that I can fix that problem soon.

Clipboard support is in the making.

@ kas1e

It seems, according to the email you sent me, that the main problem is the space in the filename. I'll definitely have to fix that. It should not crash.

In the end, it will most likely not work reliably from RAM disk since the file system doesn't support everything necessary for sqlite3, but then, storing bookmarks in a ram disk will not be of much use, anyway...

The problem with file systems can be "fixed" by assigning the CURRENTUSER: to another partition with appropriate file system.

@ mr2

I can't think of any reason why fontconfig should be a responsible for the bookmarks problem. However, I remember that on the Amiga I have here that does not store bookmarks, the fontcache was also out of sync.

Hmm.... The storing of bookmarks depends on a sane database structure, and this structure is created at first startup. It might be that the reconstruction of the out-of-sync data somehow interferes with that.

Thanks, mr2, that was a good observation

@ xenic

RANDOM: has to be mounted, I would suggest to move it to the DOSdrivers.

RANDOM is used for the entropy generation, and the absence has wide-reaching consequences. Shouldn't affect link colors, though.

@ ChrisH

Please make a bug report on our bugtracker, I'll see that I get it to work again

@ noelfuller

Page setup is for printing, and that's not in yet, same applies clipboard.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Is currentuser: a OS4 default? Should I implement this in my tools and applications?
Currentuser:appname/foobar.config

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tfrieden Quote:
In the end, it will most likely not work reliably from RAM disk since the file system doesn't support everything necessary for sqlite3,

How about checking whether the filesystem supports the necessary stuff, and refuse to start (with an error message) if it doesn't?

Quote:
RANDOM: has to be mounted ... and the absence has wide-reaching consequences

How about warning the user, if it isn't available? Some people like to disable/remove everything in SYS: that isn't "necessary"...

EDIT: Bug report made about the importing HTML bookmarks issue.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Thomas
Quote:

It seems, according to the email you sent me, that the main problem is the space in the filename. I'll definitely have to fix that. It should not crash.

I make a bugreport about (just to have one in all place as usuall). As far as i can see from other bug-reports, that spaces and ":" in patches leads to about 5 bug-reports, i.e. can't save to T: , to RAM: , can't browse local files like file:///WORK:directory , can't start if parition have spaces, etc. I.e. its all seems that fixing of pathes on ":" and spaces will automatically fix bunch of bugs.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ tfriedan

thanks for responses

Noel

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:
Is currentuser: a OS4 default? Should I implement this in my tools and applications?

No. But it might come at some point.
What you can do right now is to NOT read/write directly in ENVARC: but use the DOS functions instead (GetVar, SetVar...)

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

It seems, according to the email you sent me, that the main problem is the space in the filename.

Not a problem here,at least for opening local files.

file:///RAM Disk:usb copy.log (in location)
Shows in Tab as file:///RAM...%20copy.log (truncated and 20hex=32=ASCII space)

file:///Docs:usb cy.log (in location)
Shows in Tab as file:///Docs:usb%20cy.log

A1-X1000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tfrieden
My pointer and bookmark problems don't seem to be specifically related to the RANDOM: device. After an afternoon of testing here is what I've found.

If I install Timberwolf and don't change prefs or anything else, pointers work normally and the bookmark window will show the default bookmarks.

If I change the homepage to a local html file, a text pointer is used over text links, a normal pointer is used over image links, text links are black and the bookmarks window is empty.

If I change the homepage to http://amigans.net, a text pointer is used over text links, a normal pointer is used over image links, text links are sometimes black (ones that are normally blue) and the bookmark window shows the default bookmarks.

If I change the homepare to a blank page and manually enter http://www.amigans.net after restarting TImberwolf then pointers are normal, text links are blue (the ones that are normally blue) and the bookmarks window shows the default bookmarks.

The Timberwolf behavior seems really inconsistant and I can't tell what specifically is causing the changes in behavior. I tested all afternoon to try and pin down the problem but I just can't tell what is going wrong. I can't really use TImberwolf as my main browser yet because it seems to slow down most other applications running on my system.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Just tested the new version:

Great improvements. Take less time to load and scroll an internet page. The isn't the MUI-OWB speed but the improvements on the speed can be shown by the user.

With some more beta versions, we maybe seen Timberwolf reach MUI-OWB.

Thanks!

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I did not expect an update that fast so it is very welcome and a nice surprise !

here are some bench regarding launching speed :

AOS4.1upd4
version first beta 4.0.1
launch from SFS0 34 sec

AOS4.1upd4
version second beta 4.0.1
launch from SFS0 16 sec

so the launching time is divided by 2 !

thanks for this update.

EDIT: on A1XEG4

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
Is currentuser: a OS4 default?

As has been mentioned, it's not a default, but it was an idea tossed around some time ago by the developers.

The problem is that there is no real user specific storage available. It could of course simply go to the prefs or envarc directories, but those have specific semantics attached to them. Especially with data like bookmarks, logins, cookies and the like, an isolation is desirable.

As Elwood suggested, do not use it explicitly now, but go for the GetEnv/SetEnv calls. Right now, it's Timberwolf specific.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
I did not expect an update that fast so it is very welcome and a nice surprise !

There's a new surprise waiting, then

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
yeah!

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 »