Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 112

flash, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Random news
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
This tuesday I witnessed Qt demos and examples running on a stock MicroA1 with no gfx card and only 256 MB RAM (needed to run wb in 16-bit, though). So now there is no excuse for those lo-specers who haven't tried Qt yet: Go download!

I'm working hard on the native rendering engine. As said before, it is not going to be pixel perfect, but it is going to be either the same or a lot faster than the current minigl rendering engine. Of course this is all preliminary until we get proper MESA, which should speed up gl rendering and add some interesting functionality too.

Go to top
Re: Random news
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Note that MESA is implemented on top of Gallium3D which means not every graphics card will be supported. There is a software renderer for MESA of course but that would kind of defeat the purpose of hardware acceleration.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Way to go AlfKil, you rule!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Keep up the good work alfkil.

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ssolie

How safe is it then to use CompositeTags()? Are there currently any platforms that do not support it?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ssolie

Quote:
Note that MESA is implemented on top of Gallium3D which means not every graphics card will be supported. There is a software renderer for MESA of course but that would kind of defeat the purpose of hardware acceleration.

Yep about Gallium on not supported gfx Rogue add a mention on the blog:

Quote:
The internal driver interface is designed to be usable with or without Gallium3D. Obviously, the focus of our work will be Gallium-based, but what if there is a graphics card that does not support the required level of shader support to be able to work with Gallium? For this purpose, opengl.library (the central hub of the OpenGL system on AmigaOS) is able to load and operate drivers that only provide a minimal set of internal functions plus the required entry points for OpenGL. That way, it is possible to use a Mesa based driver, or even a completely custom driver, for hardware that is not supported by Gallium3D.

http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/?p=290

So let me to understand, it means that this new opengl.library will replace completely the current MiniGL ?

And if so, how about compatibility ?
For example current Warp3D/MiniGL apps will work ?

A retro compatibility is needed, but also would be interesting to know the performance

@alfkil

Thanks for the news, i'm really looking forward to try !

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I agree, that's random

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@alkfil
Quote:

How safe is it then to use CompositeTags()? Are there currently any platforms that do not support it?

Old and new radeons for sure support it. Even if some onboard gfx chip somethere does not have support of compositetags, its then for sure didnt have minigl and will not have gallium/mesa.

I mean that compositetags are right way, and it will cover all the users. Even if they not have working 3d , they almost all the time have working compositing (like radeonhd today)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@alfkil Quote:
This tuesday I witnessed Qt demos and examples running on a stock MicroA1 with no gfx card and only 256 MB RAM (needed to run wb in 16-bit, though). So now there is no excuse for those lo-specers who haven't tried Qt yet: Go download!

But I think the MicroA1's built-in gfx chip still supported Warp3D/MiniGL right? Which means that Sam460 (and X1000) users still cannot use QT (unless they install a Radeon 92x0 PCI card).

(So it is infact the HIGHER specced Amigas which ironically cannot use QT yet!)

Quote:
I'm working hard on the native rendering engine.

But I guess that this should fix the above problem.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Who can spot the difference...??

Screenshot 1

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
The one on the left has a cursor

What's the speed difference?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Perfect!

Native fonts...does it mean we can change font styles and sizes now?

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@alfkil
Quote:

If that not jpeg-compression differences, then imho calculator at the left side, have not so "clean" font, while calculator on the right site looks a bit cleaner. But its only if check it very-very close and be in deep-deep nitpicking mode :)

Sure, there is no differences. Its all already without FreeType ? You implemnt the stuff about which Crhis say in invite list ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@alfkil

Quote:

alfkil wrote:
@ssolie

Radeon and RadeonHD cards support compositing, but some do not. IIRC, the Sam460ex's onboard graphics card doesn't, and neither do older cards such as the Voodoo series, or the Cyber... series of cards for classic machines.

There is a software fallback for rectangular compositing operations, but not when using vertex arrays.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@alfkil

Can't see difference
How about resize on that, can we able to resize the window now ?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans

Thanks for the clearup. That is too bad for sam460 users, means they cannot use the mingl or native engine... (Of course the can use parts with the native engine, since compositing is not always used. Mainly they will not be able to rotate and shear QPixmaps.)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@alfkil
Quote:

That is too bad for sam460 users, means they cannot use the mingl or native engine..

Imho all sam460 users have radeonHD in (what mean working compositing as well). Not sure if there is anyone with sam460 who use onboard graphics. I mean that sam460/x1000 users with radeons will use native-engine with no problems.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Yep Sam460 comes with a small Silicon Motion chip (SM502) however OS4 support it only in 2D and i think it will never support full 3D (hope to be wrong of course) so it can be usefull for load Workbench and do some basic things but not for hard usage ..

Aniway any Sam460 owners will add a Radeon HD on it (or in a worse case an old R100/R200 chip)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

alfkil wrote:

Screenshot 1
The one on the right has (slight) transparency?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

alfkil wrote:
@Hans

Thanks for the clearup. That is too bad for sam460 users, means they cannot use the mingl or native engine... (Of course the can use parts with the native engine, since compositing is not always used. Mainly they will not be able to rotate and shear QPixmaps.)

Like kas1e said, most (all?) Sam460ex users have a Radeon HD card, so they will be able to use the native engine. The on-board graphics card is rather slow, can only manage up to 1280x1024, and is 2D only (by which I mean that it is a 2D only GPU, not that the drivers aren't there yet). Since the Sam460ex has a PCIe 4x slot (physically 16x, so that graphics cards fit), it makes sense to ditch the on-board graphics card for a Radeon HD card.

EDIT: Do note that you can actually detect when a graphics card doesn't support compositing by setting the hardware-only flag, and checking the return code. However, don't do this when you actually want the software fallback to be used (e.g., for rectangular operations).

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »