Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 112

MickJT, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

CDDAPatch development thread
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
The idea is to redirect programs that use old and obsolete commands for playing CDDA to use cdplayer.library instead. The latest version of cdplayer.library is required for this.

CDDAPatch is implemented as a commodity and DOSDEV tooltype on icon is used to specify which drives should be patched (f.e. I have CD0: and ICD0: patched here).

The program has only so far been written and tested with the OS included PlayCD in mind but I will test with some other programs as well and if it works well enough I will eventually make a proper release of it.

Edit: Removed the DropBox link to alpha version. The program is now available at this link instead. I've also uploaded it to OS4Depot and Aminet.

Edited by salass00 on 2012/7/23 12:42:29
Edited by salass00 on 2012/7/25 10:15:48
Edited by salass00 on 2012/8/2 19:08:19
Go to top
Re: CDDAPatch WIP alpha version
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
This patch would have been really useful if released before, but i don't know now that PlayCD works fine also on Sam.

Maybe there are other software that can benefit from that ?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Added support for PLAY AUDIO (10) and PLAY AUDIO (12) commands and also some checking of the starting address before starting to play audio. Download link is the same.

@samo79

Quote:

This patch would have been really useful if released before, but i don't know now that PlayCD works fine also on Sam.

Personally I couldn't care less about PlayCD. I only use it to start with because it's a simple test case that makes use of many commands (play, pause, resume, stop, status).

The main reason for this patch is for semi-old Amiga games that use their own routines for playing CDDA tracks. F.e. with the latest version of CDDAPatch the CDDA playback in Exodus demo (Amiga Format CD 48) is working (not much else works though).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@salass00

Quote:
The main reason for this patch is for semi-old Amiga games that use their own routines for playing CDDA tracks. F.e. with the latest version of CDDAPatch the CDDA playback in Exodus demo (Amiga Format CD 48) is working (not much else works though).

Ah ok

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
**BUMP**

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@salass00
This sounds like a really great patch, and something which might mean I can finally get rid of my old IDE DVD drives (with SATA adaptors). Now I just need to find time to test it

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@salass00
I only got around to trying it recently, but I can't get it to work on my X1000. PlayCD seems to competely ignore me pressing it's Play button. Quitting the patch allows it to work again.

This is a shame, as I was hoping I could replace my aging IDE CD drive (with SATA adapter) with a modern SATA one.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I think your just using the wrong player... PlayCD or was it CDPlay check aminet.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I think it is supposed to work with PlayCD that comes with OS4.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
salass00 specifically mentions CDPlay in his opening post and later states that he is not concerned about PlayCD working. My opinion is the reverse and PlayCD works fine on my SAM Flex with the builtin SATA ports. However, I have noticed on glitch though; the music stops playing when I activate drop-down menus.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@xenic:

What version of PlayCD do you have? The original V53.6 had that problem, but it was fixed in V53.7.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw
FWIW, I have PlayCD v53.7.

Edited by ChrisH on 2012/7/24 17:23:14
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tonyw
I am using version 53.7 but further investigation revealed that I do not have "Non blocking" selected in Gui Prefs/Menus/Pull-down menus. If I select "Non blocking" then the problem disappears. The strange thing is that Pop-up menus don't have "Non blocking" selected but Pop-up menus don't cause PlayCD to stop playing while the Pop-up menus are activated.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

@salass00
I only got around to trying it recently, but I can't get it to work on my X1000. PlayCD seems to competely ignore me pressing it's Play button. Quitting the patch allows it to work again.

This is a shame, as I was hoping I could replace my aging IDE CD drive (with SATA adapter) with a modern SATA one.

Were you trying with diskimage.device? If so there was a bug in READ TOC in newer versions when the TIME bit was set in the command (like with SYS:Utilities/PlayCD f.e.). This bug is fixed in the 52.78 version that I just uploaded. AFAIK only the device itself has changed so if you have 52.77 installed from before you only need to update the diskimage.device file in DEVS: and then reboot.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:

I think your just using the wrong player... PlayCD or was it CDPlay check aminet.

I was referring to SYS:Utilities/PlayCD of course . AFAIK there is no CDPlay included with any version of AmigaOS 4.x...

Anyway I'm only using PlayCD as a test case because from what I've heard the latest PlayCD beta has a "USEAHI" option to play CDDA over AHI and therefore doesn't need any patching to work with newer drives.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
With CDDAPatch and latest cdplayer.library/diskimage.device CDDA playback seems to be working in TSotTM . Biggest problem with this game ATM seems to be that the playback doesn't stop when you quit it. I'll have to look into why this is...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
hope you fix this as well, thx man :)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xenic

Quote:

The strange thing is that Pop-up menus don't have "Non blocking" selected but Pop-up menus don't cause PlayCD to stop playing while the Pop-up menus are activated.

I don't think anyone has bothered to make a blocking pop-up menu implementation. The main reason why intuition menus used to be blocking (and still are depending on your GUI settings) is that intuition has to lock the screen so that it can render the menus directly to the screen bitmap avoiding layers entirely which is also why they are pretty fast even on a slow classic Amiga.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

With CDDAPatch and latest cdplayer.library/diskimage.device CDDA playback seems to be working in TSotTM . Biggest problem with this game ATM seems to be that the playback doesn't stop when you quit it. I'll have to look into why this is...

I've fixed the problem with the playback not stopping. The first "official" release version of CDDAPatch can now be downloaded from here:
http://www.a500.org/downloads/audio/cddapatch_7z.readme

I've also uploaded this new version to OS4Depot and Aminet.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Version 52.2 is now out which supports reading and changing the channel volumes.

Go to top

Register To Post