Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

sailor, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 4 (5)
Re: Whats next?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@CrhisH
You are fast with answers :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e
And your reply was very short

Sorry for slow replies, but fast replies can seem a bit aggressive & encourage fast unthinking replies. Plus I have other things to do, and I also dislike these kinds of arguments (the only reason I bother at all is the hope it might help in the long run).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:

it used custom gui layout done in the CW itself. Thats why you not have reaction based menus

Strictly speaking, ReAction does not provide menus. They're the last remaining GUI area that is not covered by the object-oriented framework (BOOPSI/ReAction). ReAction's window.class uses a kludge that attaches menus to the window but the menus are created and handled through GadTools, not ReAction itself. There's nothing like menu.class, yet. Unfortunately.

I'm in the process of writing an article for OS4coding.net that will, hopefully, clear up much of the mess that surrounds the GUI programming API under AmigaOS.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Trixie
Quote:

ReAction's window.class uses a kludge that attaches menus to the window but the menus are created and handled through GadTools, not ReAction itself. There's nothing like menu.class, yet. Unfortunately.

In other words, menus on os4 = gadtools (still) ?

Quote:

I'm in the process of writing an article for OS4coding.net that will, hopefully, clear up much of the mess that surrounds the GUI programming API under AmigaOS.

Thats good ! I like your and Rigo articles (hope someday we can merge good articles to good book).

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
KOffice is a possibility. I might suggest it as a bounty.

First I need to sort out a few things, though: KOffice seems to have branched into KOffixe and Calligra. Calligra has not made a stable release yet, but on the other hand it seems that development of KOffice is dying out. So which one to choose??
Should I go for Calligra and try and make it possible to merge updates with the code? Or go for KOffice for a more tested and stable approach?

Anyhow, before I get so far, I need to port KDE, and I have no clue how difficult this is going to be.

Comments well received!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Maybe 2 phases of bounty:

Phase 1: KDE Port

Phase 2: KOffice port (latest and stable version)

--
Sinan Gürkan
AmigaOS4 Beta-Tester
*Sam460ex + 2GB RAM + RadeonHD PCI-Express 4650 1GB 128bit + Sil3512 PCI
SATA Card + Corsair Force 40GB SSD + Sata DVD*
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
In other words, menus on os4 = gadtools (still) ?

Yes! Unbelievable, isn't it? It's real stone age.

Quote:

(hope someday we can merge good articles to good book)

Sure, that's the plan. Time permitting, of course

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

Anyhow, before I get so far, I need to port KDE, and I have no clue how difficult this is going to be.

Hm... will you find out ? How hard is it to find out ? Is it harder then Qt ? So, we are not any further until we know that. But if it is possible in a reasonable time frame this would be a mega milestone... just a few things I suggest:

It has to be fast and usable also on SAM's. As I guess this implies updating of AmigaOS 4.x, you definitely have to make sure you get every support you want from Hyperion. They need to inform you exactly on what they are working and what the priority is... (e.g. Priority on Mesa/Gallium, PrinterSupport...). If KDEOffice/Calligra happens and will be usable for everyday work this could be more then vital for Amiga Platform, so I guess Hyperion should support this Project.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
and one comment from me...

it sounds a little like a "OS4-only" project. There is a lot of interest from all camps so when it is opensource and not using exclusiv technologies (that is portable with reasonable efforts) like Reaction that it could attract more people to donate. I would and I think a lot of others would too.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 4 (5)