Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
48 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 48

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »
Re: OS4 netbook!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Awesome, I hope to get this!!!

AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 on Sam440ep-flex, 800Mhz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 Resized Image
A1200/040, 2+4MB, external 3.5''HDD / A1200 (spare) / A500+ (sold) / C128 (sold)
http://m4rko.com/AMIGA
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Lets say that the netbook would cost 350 with 400Mhz
and 450 with maxed 800Mhz processor, witch would you guys rather have?
I would gladly pay 100 more for dubbel the speed!

So lets hope that hyperion think about this, but I will bye the netbook even if it is
400Mhz

Considering they didn't revile the processor speed its probably 400Mhz

AmigaOne 500 with AmigaOS 4.1
Mac mini with MorphOS 3.1
AspireOne ZG5 with Icaros Desktop
Amiga 1200 / Blizzard 1220/4@28Mhz,500Mb HD WB 3.1
Amiga 500 with 20mb HD and 3mb ram
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

tjsooley wrote:
I LOVE THE AMIGA SYSTEM.
I have been Trying to find a system in the USA here for some time now.
If this Netbook/Notebook will run classic games and sellable in the USA I will be getting one.

Hi! I see its your first post - welcome to the Amiga Community. I don't see why it won't be available for sale in the USA. - I'm certain it will be.

Mikey C

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

Joeled wrote:

@Metalmac

I think you guys are missing the point. We are already Amiga users, and we would happily pay more for better performance, but that isn't the priority right now. The priority should be to bring an entry level system in to the Market in order to bring in new users to the platform. The more expensive the less will buy. Let's not start putting people off from joining the Amiga community. I'd rather it was as cheap as possible.

Mikey C

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mikey

800mhz would bring more users then 400mhz. Its a laptop, it will probably sell more then if it would a desktop. 800mhz maybe even me would be interested. How would owb/timberwolf work with 400mhz for example. Not so good :)

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Can't have the bread buttered both sides.

Mikey C

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Kicko wrote:
@Mikey

800mhz would bring more users then 400mhz. Its a laptop, it will probably sell more then if it would a desktop. 800mhz maybe even me would be interested. How would owb/timberwolf work with 400mhz for example. Not so good :)

I tend to agree. The computer world is a numbers game. At present, people who are not part of the Amiga world would classify a 800Mhz netbook as a resonable spec yet many would classify a 400Mhz netbook as being to under powered and potentially a bit of a useless toy.

You have to remember that even ex-Amiga users have been living in mainstream computer land for some time now and will be influenced by its mainy biases.

Just because you get exciting about a netbook and plan to get one regardless of the speed (I know there is a good chance I will get one if the price stays on target) doesn't mean the slower speed and a chance of saving maybe $100 is the better choice over the faster slightly more expensive version. If you ask me, double the speed for a fraction of the over all cost extra is the better deal.

This is all supposition on all our behalves since we can only guess at what will be and doubly so since from the limited announcement we currently have access to, the specs are still in the air to some degree. I guess we will find out what the reality of the situation will turn out to be next year.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'm all for this, whatever the spec.
The price point is going to make it possible for a lot more people to get involved.

400Mhz, 800Mhz in numbers terms still sound slow. Most of the mainstream netbooks that normal people have been exposed to will have an Atom 1.66Ghz cpu. SO whatever we get will look slow in comparison.

Amiga OS is lean and efficient though so it should make decent use of whatever Mhz there are available.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Kicko wrote:
How would owb/timberwolf work with 400mhz for example. Not so good :)

We don't really know. If it is the one being guessed at, it
does have 2 co-processors, audio and video, so should be
OK for most tasks.

I'll take one.

A1-X1000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tjsooley

welcome to the site! there are a few amiga users in the tri-state area, and depending on what you're looking for (classic vs NG, etc.), i might be able to put you in contact with folks who can answer questions.

by the way, i'm in waterbury, conn., and work in poughkeepsie, NY -- so i'm 'relatively' close to you. i tend to go into monsey or brooklyn every month or so for shopping, so if you'd like we can meet up and i'll bring my SAM for you to try out.

as for purchasing, there are three ways to go: the used market via amiBAY, eBay, or board classifieds here and on AWN; the retail scene, usually via established dealers like amigakit; or the direct route by purchasing from the manufacturers such as acube. i got my SAM used, and have been very happy, and with the X1000 shipping in just a couple of months, you'll start to see a bunch of machines listed for sale as folks raise money for the new hotness.

good luck, have fun, and let me know if i can help!

-- eliyahu

Edited by eliyahu on 2011/10/25 20:49:46
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Those news are surprisingly positive (^.-), although I'll wait for final specs/price press release or something before I'll even start considering it seriously.

400 MHz CPU doesn't sound too appealing for Internet browsing with today's websites. (noone said it is such processor but knowing it's an existing OEM hardware and thinking about existing PPC netbooks - it's likely...). And it's a netbook so comfortable web browsing is a priority here.

"I would gladly pay 100 more for dubbel the speed!"
I wouldn't. I see no reason for it to cost 100 more when the 800MHz e300 costs barely 20$ more. And if they're not hardware-compatible(I guess they're not?) it would cost more than 100$ unless the OEM has a different board ready to produce.. But it's all pure speculation since we don't know what kind of CPU actually sits in there.. =)

Hello everyone, by the way =)

Show must go on! :D
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Hi MaW

Welcome to the Site.

Mikey C

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
320 quid for a netbook that runs OS4 ? priceless !
That would go to work with me !
Now if we can just get drivers for 3G dongles...

Avatar: Avro Vulcan - XH558 needs YOU !!
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I rather want the 800mhz version of a fraction of the money...

AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 on Sam440ep-flex, 800Mhz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 Resized Image
A1200/040, 2+4MB, external 3.5''HDD / A1200 (spare) / A500+ (sold) / C128 (sold)
http://m4rko.com/AMIGA
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Resized Image

Image copied from this AW.net entry.

It would seem that only one version of the chip has an integrated SoC graphics processor.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Ahh.. so it sounds kinda decided. If it has this CPU on board they can't really put in the 800MHz MPC8xxx even if they wanted to since it's not compatible on hardware level... (redesigning the board = boosting the price up to somewhat around SAM prices, I reckon?)

But on the other hand, knowing the OS price and hoping the price will be below 400$, we can say that the hardware alone is about hmm.. 250$? Still not quite bad - but it will need a very well optimized browser.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I found these clips on youtube showing the Efika running MorphOS 2.
It seems okej, and the netbook is gona be more powerful than the Efika

So if hyperion dose a god job with the drivers and optimasation it would be a nice litle netbook I think, no problem listen to musik, surf the web, watching movies and some other more lightweight stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izCLp5juGm8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YELHeNO33xE

OWB on efika:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TUA7DupOeI

AmigaOne 500 with AmigaOS 4.1
Mac mini with MorphOS 3.1
AspireOne ZG5 with Icaros Desktop
Amiga 1200 / Blizzard 1220/4@28Mhz,500Mb HD WB 3.1
Amiga 500 with 20mb HD and 3mb ram
Go to top
Re: OS4 netbook?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
How long roughly, before a decision is made on price and specs?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
*Everyone replies in Unison*

"Two more weeks...!"

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »