Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: New update
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@CrhisH
Quote:

I now await someone to say first release of TW should be based on FF 7.0, instead of the current FF 4.0.1 :(

Haha , i thinking about the same lateley :) Expectually when i read that now TW if based on 4.0.1 sources, i thinking about write a "maybe better to finish 4.0.0 at the first, and release, to give users something usable already", but .. but maybe it was not that hard to apply new changees. After all its shouldn't be hard to apply changes beetwe 4.0.0 and 4.0.1 version of any software (should be no radical changes).

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Yep altrough "radical changes" was not implemented even during the development of the 4.0 to --> 8.0, but of course they are surely bigger than the simple switch from 4.0 to 4.0.1

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@tfrieden

Firstly, thanks for the update.

Quote:
However, the menus need to confirm to certain standards, like being able to show custom images and nesting depth. The former is possible with Amiga Menus, but I'm not sure about the latter (it's been ages since I've last written more complex intuition code).

Yes, images in menus are perfectly possible - however I can't get them to work. If you get some working code can you post an example? I've tried everything (even resorting to poking old style struct Image* into the Intuition menu structure) and can't get images to work (you can read more here... but ostensibly they must do as the checkmark, Amiga key logos etc are technically images.

Nesting depth, menus are limited to one submenu, however the Intuition menu structure doesn't preclude having more levels, so a suitable update to Intuition to make them display should resolve this one And probably an update to GadTools so NewMenu structures can be used to create them!

I can see menu length being a problem; at the moment when the menu is too long for the screen there is no way of getting to items that have fallen off the bottom of the screen. Firefox puts a scrolly arrow on the bottom, it would be good to see this in Intuition too.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Thanks for all the info on the browser and compare to owb as this is what i use and the speed is good on my a1. So firefox will to be usefull hopefully :) Looking forward to try it out. Keep up the good work :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Yes, this is great news indeed. Looking forward to test this beauty.

Oh,the video on the grab does work?

X5000
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:
i take it there may be a version running at amiwest this weekend?

That is my plan yes. I am bringing along my X1000 system and it will be available to try at the Hyperion table. Timberwolf is already loaded up on it.

I hope you can make it this year. Should be a fun time!

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quick question for 'The Brothers', will this Alpha-release of TW come with command line/OpenURL support?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

I think you know this, but there is Firefox for MacPPC :
it's named "TenFourFox"

www.tenfourfox.com

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
I don't know why people are demanding loads of extra features for the first (proper) TW release. Do they actually want to see TW this year, or would they like to wait another year?!?

Yes I also find this sad. Stuff like Amiga menus and icons here and there are not important at all. But the problem is that non-developers don't get the amount of time it takes to do programming in general, especially not free-time programming when you have a day job and possibly also a family.

Stuff like inline HTML5 video is much more important than native menus and seeing it already basically works makes me happy. Otherwise I would not have demanded it because of the potentially huge amount of work to get it working.

Btw. I tried TenFourFox on my MacMini G4 with youtube and HTML5 video and it was pretty damn jerky (in 320p). And TenFourFox still has a lot of Altivec acceleration.

I think collaborating with the TenFourFox ppl and use their PPC accelerated code for various stuff would be a very good idea! Their JS-engine is among the fastest apparently.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris Quote:
however the Intuition menu structure doesn't preclude having more levels, so a suitable update to Intuition to make them display should resolve this one

There are several restrictions which prevent multiple levels. I posted about it once here (in reply to you I think). Mainly the way menu events are encoded, but IIRC that scheme is also used by a member of a particular data structure. So it is not as easy as it appears :(

EDIT: Found it, so you can see what I thought the problems would be.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

From a quick check, here are some places that MenuNumber occurs:
MenuItem->NextSelect (is a UWORD)
IntuiMessage->Code (is a UWORD)
ItemAddress(..., UWORD MenuNumber)

MenuItem structure could be extended to add a new better way to point to the next item selected (Flags field could f.e. be used to differentiate extended menu item from normal one).

The IAddress field of IDCMP_MENUPICK message is not defined ATM (according RKRM: Libraries at least) so it could f.e. be used to point to the first selected menu item or to a structure containing additional data.

ItemAddress() can be made obsolete and a new replacement function can be introduced if necessary.

Old programs will still have the same old menu limits but that isn't much of a problem IMHO.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Regarding the video replay: Yes, it's slow. We'll see what we can do. I wouldn't expect miracles, though, since I have a 2 GHz Intel notebook that also can't play anything but 360p decently.

I'm watching TenFourFox but right now, I'm not willing to embark on JS optimization yet. First, I want to finish the browser, then see about adding features and optimizing it. Stable code basis, then branch out. Anything else will lead to nightmare testing and hard to track bugs.

As such, there will most likely not OpenURL support in it at the beginning, although that is sufficiently easy to add.

TenFourFox did not make the JS engine, they fixed the JIT for PPC, afaik.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
BTW, I post this from Timberwolf on the AmigaOne X1000 ;)

Why you lucky bastard!!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Deniil

Quote:

Btw. I tried TenFourFox on my MacMini G4 with youtube and HTML5 video and it was pretty damn jerky (in 320p). And TenFourFox still has a lot of Altivec acceleration.

I wonder how they achieved so poor results then.

On a MacMini G4, H264/WebM 360p playback in WebKit/OWB takes about 80% cpu in plain cairo image surface mode (most of the time being spent in cairo), and 20% when using overlay mode. And FireFox/TenFourFox on OSX surely has some kind of HW acceleration for Cairo, so there's really no excuse...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Fab
Seems weird to me too, judging from their website "they brought PPC users all kinds of Altivec acceleration" and they also say that video would be slow on CPUs slower than 1250Mhz, aren't Mac minis faster than that?

I also noticed this however:

"TenFourFox comes in tuned builds for specific processor families. Choosing the wrong one could make the application crash, or run poorly."
Could it be that Deniil downloaded the wrong version?

SamFlex Complete System + AmigaOS4.1 Update 4
Amiga 2000 GVP GForce-040 Picasso II AmigaOS3.9 BB2
Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
For those wanting to see TW in action, check the frontpage

Go to top
Anonymous
Good. Hope it goes beta this year, on everyone`s joy.
Well deserved bounty

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)