Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmiCygnix slow booting
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I was upgrading Gimp a couple days ago, but I was rudely informed that my partition was full, and then for some reason the installation ceased.

I moved the whole of AmiCygnix to a spare, but huge, partition I had lying around on my disk, and then successfully upgraded. Then I made the necessary Assign changes in User-Startup and modified the AmiCygnix starter in my dock.

But now although the AmiCygnix screen comes up quickly enough, it is empty except for the title bar (no close or depth gadgets) and the standard cloudy sky background. It takes two-and-a-half minutes for the application icons to make their appearance on that screen. (Once they do, Sylpheed seems to launch and quit more quickly, but that's not a good trade-off.)

What have I forgotten to do?

Go to top
Re: AmiCygnix slow booting
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kilaueabart
My AmiCygnix has acted that way for a long time. I thought it was supposed to be that slow to finish starting. If you find out what went wrong, maybe I can fix my installation too. The slow startup is one reason I have never used AmiCygnix, even though I have it installed and try to keep the installation up-to-date with latest program releases.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Different buffer settings? different filesystem?

1 Don't use FFS if you are. I'm using JXFS.

2. For a 60GB partition I think I.use 60000 buffers. It's easy to check, open shell and.type "addbuffers partitionname: 60000 if you got a 60GB partition. Then try to launch amicygnix and see.if it loads.faster. If it does, make the.buffer setting permanent in mediatoolbox.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kilaueabart

I guess you have to rebuild the cache files. Please launch the script

"Cygnix:S/Utilities/Refresh-ALL-Caches.bat"

Afterwards AmiCygnix should work again.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

cygnusEd wrote:
@kilaueabart

I guess you have to rebuild the cache files. Please launch the script

"Cygnix:S/Utilities/Refresh-ALL-Caches.bat"

Thanks. That did the trick.

But a strange thing: I had to rewrite Refresh-ALL-Caches.bat, adding "Cygnix:S/Utilities/" to the front of each address, to avoid getting

EXECUTE: Can't open "Refresh-Font-Caches.bat".

etc. I wonder why? Something else wrong with my set-up?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kilaueabart

No, there is nothing wrong.
The best way to execute the script is to launch it with it's icon on the workbench! Or you change the current directory to "Cygnix:S/Utilities" before launching the script.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@cygnusEd
Quote:

I'll say it works again! Thanks. I can't believe my Cygnix has been operating in slow motion for almost a year and the cure is that simple. I thought it happened because I installed too many programs at some point.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@xenic

The best things in life are the simple things

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

Lucky for you I'm kind of stupid. If I hadn't forgotten about Refresh_ALL_caches.bat and had to ask again, your AmiCygnix would still be slow.

Glad to have been of service.

Go to top

Register To Post