Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
66 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 66

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Videos of UAE on Sam460 with sound
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi there,

As someone asked me, I did some small videos of UAE running on Sam460 with sound. The alpha version of the audio driver is used here. It runs in PIO mode.

The goal was to show that it's really playable on a Sam460. Of course having JIT will give us extra speed. So do not forget to support Rachy. Visit the Amigabounty page dedicated to the UAE JIT bounty.

Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge
Lotus Turbo Challenge 2
R.typeII
Odyssey

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Re: Videos of UAE on Sam460 with sound
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Very nice :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Good videos

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Nice video. But i hope the driver is out of alpha now?

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I 've watched your video of Lotus II, a rather demanding ECS game and fast paced as hell. It looked really slick (ingame). It must achieve 100% of the original speed (A500). Unfortunately the scrambled audio in the beginning ruins much of the experience for the time being. IMHO, when the audio driver will be released, you should make a video of Superfrog (the game that pushed to the max ECS according to T17). What about currently performance of AGA games (say Super Stardust)? Also, is there a way to show fps under uae/os4, like winuae does?

EDIT: I read some comments on other videos and it looks like that without JIT we can't achieve frameskip 0 for AGA games in 460.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Of course if you ask for more: AGA + big games with a lot of effects, you'll not be able to have a fast emulation.
I think the result so far is not a bad one.

We'll have more speed when time comes...

I did a video of Super Stardust (without audio) here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGURwIqr8aA

Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Elwood
For R-Type 2, it looked like enemy bullet were not hitting your ship. I guess the emulated "collision level" was set too low (if you used RunInUAE then this is easily increased using the menu... but it could reduce emulation speed).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
No, I activated the trainer
I knew I couldn't go far enough to show the game. I'll say it on the video description, thanks.

Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Definitively a mix of hi-res (E-UAE running at 640x480) + alpha sound drivers (no DMA) is causing the audio problems in Lotus 2.
On my Sam Flex running at 800Mhz + native screen mode (picasso96 320x256@150Hz) the music during the intro and loading sequence play just as good as on my A2000 sitting right below it.

I'm sure that when the final DMA drivers will be ready (and when used with a native mode) also R-Type 2 should be fine on the 460EX.

SamFlex Complete System + AmigaOS4.1 Update 4
Amiga 2000 GVP GForce-040 Picasso II AmigaOS3.9 BB2
Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@DAX

Yes, if I use 320x2nn, the screen is very small. It looks like a square in the middle of the monitor. That's why I use 640x480

Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@elwood
Quote:
Yes, if I use 320x2nn, the screen is very small. It looks like a square in the middle of the monitor.

Do you have a 320x240 (and 320x256) screenmode set-up in Sys:Prefs/ScreenMode > Monitors?

RunInUAE's installer should create one automatically, unless either (a) you told it not to, or (b) your have DDC enabled (aka Detect settings automatically).

NOTE: Originally RunInUAE did not care about DDC, but manually adding screenmodes can f**k-*p user's OS4 machine (making it unusable), due to an (imho!) flaw in how OS4 allocates screenmode IDs for DDC. So I had to stop it doing this. Would be *great* if OS4 actually fixed this (IMHO serious) flaw...

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Oh that's it then.

No 320 screenmode, I use DDC and the first resolution is 640x480.
I tried to revert to "without DDC" but I can't remember how it worked without. I have no Monitor with DDCMODE enabled but I still can't add other modes.... :-/

Quote:
Would be *great* if OS4 actually fixed this (IMHO serious) flaw

Well if you can give me more information, a test case or even a small program that shows the problem, I'll fill a bug report.

Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I'll cut and paste part of my guide that talk about this subject:

Open the screen-modes utility and click on the second tab (the one that says "Monitors"):

Resized Image
To disable DCC untick the "Detect settings automatically".
In order to get low res modes to work specify larger scan-ranges you can do this below on the right, where it says Refresh Rates (also just above the "Save Monitor" button) place your cursor in the scan ranges text boxes, and specify the following ample ranges (just to make sure):

Minimum VSync: 50 (that's 50hz)
Minimum HSync: 28000 (That's 28Khz)

Maximum Vsync: 160
Maximum HSync: 96000

Modern CRT monitors won't go bust if you try frequencies they don't support, they will automatically go in "stand-by" mode instead (with some others displaying a warning message such as "Out of Scan-range") so don't worry. With these ample ranges you will make sure that the new resolutions will be accepted and added to the "Radeon Monitor" resolutions list.
NOTE that all my screen modes have a tick beside them, if yours don't (after you deactivate "detect settings automatically") tick them all! Otherwise when you re-boot workbench won't find any active mode (it happened to a guy once).

Now press the add resolution button and create a 320x256@60 screen mode (this will be a double scanned screen mode that should be easily usable on a LCD) click on "Save Monitor" button and close the window, you will be informed that the new changes will be available only at the next (re)boot, and asked if you want to re-boot now.
Re-Boot. After you get back to WB go to the resolution list to see if the new res was added and test it.

P.S
This won't solve the lack of DMA in the sound driver but at least the low res screen mode will be as big as it gets.
As usual for perfect look and scrolling smoothness I suggest anyone to grab a cheap CRT monitor and connect it to the second video out of the graphic card (using a picasso96 non-doublescanned screen mode). This way the games will look "native A500" and perform in the absolute best possible way.

SamFlex Complete System + AmigaOS4.1 Update 4
Amiga 2000 GVP GForce-040 Picasso II AmigaOS3.9 BB2
Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
Open the screen-modes utility and click on the second tab (the one that says "Monitors")

That's the problem. I can't select it, it is disabled. I have to find why....

Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hmm, demo the sound in a game without selecting any of that excellent music that's in that game??!? Wierd.... There should be a law agains playing Lotus without music!

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
And playing a car game without listening to the car sound?

Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
Go to top

Register To Post