Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3)
Re: Public screen closing bug in OS4.1
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@chrisH
@m3x

I can only partially confirm it using SimpleMail and Calculator:

0) Run SimpleMail and change it's config to open on a new SM-screen newly defined in MUI-Database.
1) SAVE, QUIT and re-Run SimpleMail (it opens on SM-Screen)
2) Set Calculator's ToolTypes to open on SimpleMails Public Screen
3) Run Calculator (it opens in SimpleMail's screen)
4) Quit SimpleMail (screen remains opened because of Calculator)
5) Quit Calculator -> screen remains open
6) Running SimpleMail again, and it goes to its correct Screen
7) Quit SimpleMail closes the SM-Screen

But doing the same with a screen defined in ScreenPrefs works properly,
the screen closes when quitting Calculator.

So maybe the bug is in MUI?

AmigaOS 4.1u2 on A1-XE

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Amigo1

is autoclose option slected in the MUI Screen prefs?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues
Auto-Close was NOT ticked in MUI prefs. To be honest I didn't know it even existed (it is easily overlooked), and IMHO auto-close should be the default behaviour.

With Auto-Close ticked, SimpleMail's screen does close correctly when CygnusEd's "visitor window" quits after SimpleMail quits.

I did not test the worse problem (screen unusable) with Ringhio, since that is a separate problem which is supposed to be fixed.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@broadblues
Auto-Close was NOT ticked in MUI prefs. To be honest I didn't know it even existed (it is easily overlooked), and IMHO auto-close should be the default behaviour.

I'd not noticed it either. As far as I can tell, testing with the latest MUI, the default now is to have autoclose ticked.
Quote:

With Auto-Close ticked, SimpleMail's screen does close correctly when CygnusEd's "visitor window" quits after SimpleMail quits.

That's cool, problem solved then

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues Quote:
As far as I can tell, testing with the latest MUI, the default now is to have autoclose ticked.

Great! That means that both of my complaints will be solved by the next OS4 update

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

broadblues wrote:
@Amigo1

is autoclose option slected in the MUI Screen prefs?

sorry for the late answer; no, silly me, autoclose was not selected.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

xenic wrote:
The whole public screen mechanism and "Screens" created public screens work fine on my system. I don't like Ringhio and don't use it. It opens small notification messages that don't look or act like standard Amiga Windows. They are just small colored blocks with text that appear on the screen background. I think the Ringio notifications look like they belong in some other OS. There are clearly defined mechanisms for visitor windows and requesters on public screens but Ringhio messages don't act like normal windows or requesters and don't appear to be well integrated into Intuition. The problem is with Ringhio and not Intuition or Screens preferences and I think that patching CloseScreen() is a misguided attempt to compensate for a Ringhio problem. Without Ringhio, my public screens (whether program created or Screen prefs created) all work as they should. I think Ringhio should use system compliant requesters instead of the current method.

The OS has to evolve and new things has to be added. Having Ringhio open some old stubborn requester taking focus and require action would just be hacky. We can't be stuck in 1985 forever "just because".

The fact that ringhio happen to look like something on some other OS is just a confirmation that this might be the best and neatest way of doing it.

I have also problems with screens not closing if I happen to close the app just when ringhio pops up something. For me I have a problem with PicShow. If I hit escape just after ringhio has opened it will get stuck. Very annoying.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Re: Public screen closing bug in OS4.1 (FIXED)
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
This bug still appears to be present in Update 3. Having just removed BetterCloseScreen from user-startup, I've had to reinstate it as Ringhio notifications are still causing closing screens to get "stuck".

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris
No problems here.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
This bug still appears to be present in Update 3. Having just removed BetterCloseScreen from user-startup, I've had to reinstate it as Ringhio notifications are still causing closing screens to get "stuck".

That comes in my mind right after installation of Update3 and find then your answer. I will leave BetterCloseScreen then in WBStartup.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3)