Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
85 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 85

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

RDesktop
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I used RDesktop mainly to get tot a lexmark S305 net printer via my wife's Windows XP laptop. This one had been replaced with a Windows 7 Home premium machine. Remote sesktop server is however not available for it. I intend to download the free "Windows XP Mode" package allowing to run XP software and try to run the Windows XP remoteDesktop server under it. Has anybody tried this before?

Go to top
Re: RDesktop
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Yes XPMode is a very useful feature of the Professional and Ultimate versions of Windows 7 and and supports RDesktop, but you cant install it as you only have the home version of Windows 7.

As such you have to options pay for an Anytime Windows upgrade from "Windows 7 home Premium" to Windows 7 Professional which gets you both direct support for RDesktop under Windows 7 and "Windows XP Mode"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Win ... TF8&qid=1302385672&sr=8-1

or

Use another slower solution such as VNC which is slower but does work.

Its not cheap to upgrade but at least too me XPMode and RDesktop are worth the additional money.

Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1 + Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
WinUae 2.3.2, OS 3.9, BB2, Catweasel MkIV
Amiga 1200, BlizzardPPC 060/200 with SCSI, mediatorSX, Voodoo3, pci lan
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I've been caught out in a similar way with my wife's new laptop. Her XP Pro machine used to be able to see my Samba shares on my AmigaOne, but the new Win 7 Home Premium machine cannot. I have seen mentions of this also being solvable with Win 7 Professional or Ultimate.

Can you (or anybody) confirm this? And how is the upgrade to e.g. Professional with an Anytime upgrade handled, i.e. can Windows be upgraded "in situ", or is it necessary to do a complete reinstall, including a backup and restore/reinstall of data and third party programs?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I filed a complaint about this situation with the Belgian Economic Inspection. Given all the free lessons organised by different authorities & administrations on Windows SW, given that my XP computer was becoming unusable because my HD was getting fuller & fuller with automatic updates, and given that MS announced it would stop support for XP, i was forced in buying a new PC that could run Windows 7
Having to pay a surplus price for something that came free before, is unacceptable. Hope you guys do thje same with your national authorities

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

JosDuchIt wrote:
I filed a complaint about this situation with the Belgian Economic Inspection. Given all the free lessons organised by different authorities & administrations on Windows SW, given that my XP computer was becoming unusable because my HD was getting fuller & fuller with automatic updates, and given that MS announced it would stop support for XP, i was forced in buying a new PC that could run Windows 7
Having to pay a surplus price for something that came free before, is unacceptable. Hope you guys do thje same with your national authorities

You must of had Windows XP Professional installed before as the home version does not support rdesktop either.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

If you read the feature list this is clearly marked and if you chose to upgrade to a cheaper Home user version (without network features designed for business users) of Windows 7 that does not have the same features as the Professional versions that is not Microsoft's fault on this occasion.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

nbache wrote:
Can you (or anybody) confirm this? And how is the upgrade to e.g. Professional with an Anytime upgrade handled, i.e. can Windows be upgraded "in situ", or is it necessary to do a complete reinstall, including a backup and restore/reinstall of data and third party programs?

I don't know if you need an upgrade to the professional version to fix your problems with samba and I don't have the home user version installed on any of my home computers, it may be possible to fix the backward compatibility with Windows 2000/samba by changing some security settings.

I can confirm that you can upgrade between versions of Windows 7 with without needing a reinstall and have done so for a number of customers that were moving a network domain environment for the first time. The hole process take about 20 minutes including reactivation over the internet after the upgrade.

The only real limitation is that you can not upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit without a reinstall.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I managed to get RDP working on... either Windows 2000 Home, or if it was XP, can't remember. The fix was rather simple, it involved changing something in the registry, and then download the archive containing RDP from MS's site.

Google for Windows XP Home RDP or something.

Maintainer and developer for Jamiga2 - Java for Amiga
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information

@Dwyloc
I do not agree that this comparison is that clear.
RDesktop is not mentioned.
There are lots of other MS pages that do confuse you. Especially the ones that announce downloadable SW. If you did not check the download link before buying the Windows 7 version you think is appropriate for your needs, you are not aware that either the downloads only apply for the upper versions or that you have to buy an upgrade key first. Why would you try to download something when you don't have Windows 7 yet?
The normal way of doing busyness is present downloads only when they are free, and use some "add to basket, price info" when you have to buy them.
MS is the cause of the confusion, it is not the customers being that stupid.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

Dwyloc wrote:

I don't know if you need an upgrade to the professional version to fix your problems with samba and I don't have the home user version installed on any of my home computers, it may be possible to fix the backward compatibility with Windows 2000/samba by changing some security settings.

Yes, well, as I have understood what I read in various places I googled about it, you don't have access to changing those settings under Home Premium. It might be possible to install the necessary tool (security center or something?) if you can find it and it will accept being installed in Home. But I'd probably prefer going the more "correct" way, just to make sure.

Quote:
I can confirm that you can upgrade between versions of Windows 7 with without needing a reinstall and have done so for a number of customers that were moving a network domain environment for the first time. The hole process take about 20 minutes including reactivation over the internet after the upgrade.

Great to know, thanks!

Quote:
The only real limitation is that you can not upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit without a reinstall.

I understand. No problem, we do have the 64 bit Home Premium already.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

JosDuchIt wrote:
I do not agree that this comparison is that clear.
RDesktop is not mentioned.

If you click on feature comparison "Remote desktop" is clearly listed as only being a features of the Professional and Ultimate versions of Windows.

Go to top

Register To Post