Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 »
Sans-Labs closed ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
As you may know the original OWB development was freezed since May/June 2010, the Sand-Labs's site and the bugtracker had remained online for a lot of time, sadly now also the main site are closed (or down) as well ...

www.sand-labs.org/

This isn't a catastrophic news because OWB can be updated directly from the WebKit's day by day merge, for example see this link to follow the ongoing development:

http://trac.webkit.org/

(This is off course what Fab do with his latest versions)

But aniway the main issue is that the OS4 source code it's (probably) not availible anymore via SVN, so maybe we need a new repository or almost a link where downloading the latest OWB/OS4 specific and not specific codes before it will be lost somewhere ...

It seems that Joerg decide to not continue his development (i use "it seems" because for what i can understand it isn't confirmed yet), so this is an appeal for the release of all related sources to the community

Joerg if you read, please enlight us ...

Go to top
Re: Sans-Labs closed ?
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@samo79
Why not email joerg directly and ask for the sources?

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ssolie

Yep, but we can use this thread for an eventual new maintainer/s when source will be released

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@samo79

I have tracked complete owb svn with git. If needed I can push it to some public git hosting site.

ciao

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@samo79
A very good way to kill a software project is with bad communication. This one is not off to a good start if you hope somebody will communicate with you when you have their direct email address handy.

http://www.it-cortex.com/Stat_Failure_Cause.html
http://www.projectperfect.com.au/info_it_projects_fail.php
http://www.slideshare.net/bstaud/six- ... ject-failure-presentation
http://www.networkcomputing.com/data- ... to-it-project-failure.php

and on and on.

Next time, just email the guy.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ssolie

Quote:

ssolie wrote:
@samo79
A very good way to kill a software project is with bad communication.

How about this link and its discussion of mailing lists?

http://apcmag.com/interview_with_con_ ... rmance_on_the_desktop.htm

PJS

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
If anyone wants to put the sources into a svn I can set up a project on OpenAmiga.org for it.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

Yep, SVN are nice. Download manager can be at last integrated :)

@mausle

Did the latest "complete owb svn" have the latest Joerg changes ?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@thread

TW will be here by December, January at the latest is OWB really worth updating any further?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki

It's only because we not know when stable TW will be out (for sure it can take much longer way, not like you expect for now), and when it will , we not know how fast or slow it will be in compare with OWB. And what minor/major bugs it will have. OWB are light of course, but very stable already, and its already here and used by us every day.

All in all more the better as usual.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@djrikki

Quote:
TW will be here by December

Huh? I missed that announcement. :-/

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
Yep, SVN are nice. Download manager can be at last integrated :)

And not only download manager ...

Quote:
Did the latest "complete owb svn" have the latest Joerg changes ?

Not yet, this is another reason to ask, the main OS4 code are on the SVN but i'm quite sure that latest sources code are only into Joerg's HD

@djrikki

Quote:
is OWB really worth updating any further?

And why not ??
Some people may prefer OWB over Firefox, also I have many doubts regarding the usabiility of Firefox, almost for December ..

@ssolie

Quote:
A very good way to kill a software project is with bad communication. This one is not off to a good start if you hope somebody will communicate with you when you have their direct email address handy.

Ehm
Received, but hey in this thread some interesting discussions is born

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki Quote:
TW will be here by December, January at the latest

I don't believe this: I never heard anything to that effect from any official source. Who & where did you hear this from, and if possible please supply a quote or link?

My understanding is that TimberWolf is a low-priority project, compared to X1000, Sam460, etc (although maybe that changed since OWB dev was abandoned?). Additionally, Firefox v4 alpha/beta keeps changing, making it difficult for them to keep it up-to-date AND working.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

December/January = 'Late 2010' right?

A-Eon wouldn't dare ship X1000 without TW; you wait and see.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@djrikki

Not so sure, when only the first alpha version of Timberwolf is currently available and we're halfway through October now.

I hope OWB development continues as I prefer the 'feel' of WebKit based browsers. A port of OWB from MorphOS would be great if no one picked up the baton from Joerg.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Daniel

Agree, having this source or not, porting the MUI version would be the best solution, actually the Fab's version it's the best Amiga browser out there

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@samo79

I think this thread is a very bad way to have a new version of OWB made by whoever you want.

If someone wants to take on the development of OWB, he sould contact directly Joerg (and Andrea), not posting like this on a forum. It's only a question of respect (and I think this kind of thread/behaviour was one of the reason Joerg quitted the development).

@Djrikki

As I gladly respect the enthusiasm you put since you have (re)discovered the Amiga, I respectfully suggest you not to talk on behalf of those who are using the system daily as their main system.

OWB is one of the best browser for AmigaOS 4.x and even if TW gets out (and I doubt Frieden brothers have had enough time to complete it, even before december), having the choice of using any of the available browsers (OWB, TW or Netsurf, even Ibrowse for some) must remain.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki Quote:
December/January = 'Late 2010' right?

Did they ever mention "Late 2010" for TimberWolf?? Or was this someone else's wishful thinking? A simple link (or *complete* quote) would clear-up any possible confusion.

I'd like to keep official statements separate from what *someone else* claims/thinks, or else people will start expecting things that are really only rumours, and then get very disappointed when these (never actually promised) things fail to appear. (Or worse, it will be used to bash Hyperion/A-Eon.)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@djrikki

I think it is a mistake to claim that TW will be available soon. We already know that there are many vultures waiting for failures or no shows in our little piece of the NG Amiga market place. I think it is better to wait for the official announcement "when it's done".

Meanwhile we have several choices for OS4 ...
AWeb APL Lite 3.5.09 for OS4.0 PPC
IBrowse 2.4 OEM-Version
NetSurf 2.5
NetSurf 3.0 (Development)
OWB 3.30
Timberwolf Alpha 1 release

I have all of the above installed on my system, but I use OWB and NetSurf the most these days. Timberwolf needs some work. That is why it is officially classified as an alpha release.

---
redfox

Edited by redfox on 2010/10/21 1:25:35
Edited by redfox on 2010/10/21 1:29:13
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I hope Joerg continues to develop OWB. Silence is not necessarily a bad thing.

---
redfox

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 »