Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Timberwolf and μΑ1 with OS4.1.2 problem
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I downloaded the Timberwolf zip from OS4 depot and decided to give it a try today but alas, it won't work. I did the installation using the script that comes with it but after that and a reboot, whenever i click on the Timberwolf icon my μΑ1 just sits there doing nothing. I read that when run for the first time, Timberwolf might run with a slight delay. In fact i waited enough for it to run with no results whatsoever. Any ideas/suggestions are welcome. Anyone that had the same problem?

Go to top
Re: Timberwolf and μΑ1 with OS4.1.2 problem
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@portarinos

what file system are you using? FFS2? SFS? if its FFS2 it will take a looooong time ( almost 30 mins iirc)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@derfs

FFS i suppose. It isn't clear though in the "manual" that this should be a problem. Anyway, what filesystem is suggested? Would this really be the solution?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@portarinos

FFS2 is slow, SFS is fast, thats all it is.

If you leave it long enough timberwolf will start, and it only takes that long on the first go. Using SFS it would take max 5 minutes iirc.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@portarinos

Back when I first installed Timberwolf, I was using a small FFS2 partition (approx 2 GB). It took about 10 min. A larger partition will take longer. Apparently, if you have a whole bunch of extra fonts it will also take longer.

I have since "updated" my system partition to SFS\00.

---
redfox

Go to top
Re: Timberwolf and ??1 with OS4.1.2 problem
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@redfox

Timberwolf with SFS partition take maybe 12 seconds to open and some more for fridens HQ. Verry quick for a first port IMHO.

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all
thanks for your responses. Obviously i know that SFS is faster but i didn't know that Timberwolf has to do with it! Anyway, this delay happens only for the first time you use it or every time?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@portarinos

First time only. But if you have system partition as FFS, and work partition as FFS too, then it always will be not so fast. For example my system partition is still FFS, but working partition (where is TF) are JFS, and running take about 7-8 seconds. I think if system partition will be SFS, and working are JFS, then running will take about 4-5 secs.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Since it's been a long time from when i installed 4.1 i didn't remember if i had FFS or SFS. Finally, it's SFS, as i checked it an hour ago. In the meantime i have tried to open TW twice but i'm still waiting. I made myself a nice cup of coffee and i'm waiting . Anyway, in my case the filesystem isn't to blame. Any other suggestion please?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@portarinos

For the make TF works, you need aos4.1 update 2 (expectually update2, which was released mostly for this purposes, to fix bugs which preven TF to work). (With SFS all should be ok)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

But it's all there as the thread's title implies. Update 1 freshly installed and Update 2 when it became available for public use. I haven't tweaked anything special in the System Partition. I don't know what to say. Maybe it's my bad luck but that's something that won't justify that TW doesn't work only for me, does it?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@portarinos

Pretty possible that you do not have some library or .sobj which are need it (or , you have, but bad/wrong/buggy). I can make for you list of all my sobjs and libs , but will be cool if you can use "snoopy" (analog of snoopdos) and trace what happens. But that all annoing, yes.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

i think i'll use snoopy. I had forgotten it. I'll let you know if it shows anything wrong. Btw, thanks for your offer. I may need it.

Go to top

Register To Post