Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 93

AmigaSociety, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Tunenet + copy big files when SFS almost not have free space => music stops
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Have a nasty problem: Have running tunenet in backgorund, with all the settings to maximum:

General/TaskPriorities/GUI : 1
General/TaskPriorities/Player: 20

Then, while on my SFS2 partition only 50mb are free: i copy (in dopus4) file of 23mb of size to the same parition, just to other place. And at some stage, tunenet stop plays music on a while (a little, but still).

Tunenet, and dopus4 and all the files (mp3 and file for coping) are on the same partiion, which are SFS2 with block size 1, 024 bytes. Free space on partition as i say before 50mb only. I also noticed that when there is not so much space, copy and write start to be a bit slower if compare when partition have a lot of free space.

Can i somehow setup something which will allow tunenet plays always and never stops ? Even if there is only 2mb of free space on SFS2 ? I.e. setup somehow the high priority for all the time.

If everything the same, but i copy that big file from that SFS partition (where also tunenet and mp3s for plaing): all is fine (even if i copy to FFS).

Right now i also trying to delete many files from that parition (where is all mp3) - music stops too from time to time while deleting is happenes. Not so offten, but still. And while there is more and more free space, tunenet stop "jerkys".

After all when i have 150mb of free space, copy of big files on the same partiion going fine, without tunenet jerkenes.

Looks like when there is almost no free space on SFS2, it start to do something heavy with partition.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: Tunenet + copy big files when SFS almost not have free space => music stops
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Just a thought: *After* TuneNet started playing music again, I would look into the debug buffer (with "dumpdebugbuffer"). Maybe something's going nasty in the background...

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cha05e90

Cheked: all is fine.

I think there is just SFS2 limitation/problems, because when there is about 150mb of free space : everythinkg fine. But when there is 80-50 or less, then SFS2 start to works slower.

I noticed it also when i do some "compiling" work. When there is 50mb only of free space, writing to end file on linking stage are pretty slow from time to time (not all the time), but when there is 100-200 mb of free space, everything fast always.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Tested now with JFS:

Copy tunenet, mp3 and the "big file" to JFS - free space are only 2mb. And then, trying to copy the same "big file" from one place, to another (while tunent plays mp3 from the same JFS partition) : and all is fine, tunenet not stops. What is mean that its indeed SFS2 limitation, as with JFS there is no such "slowdowns" when no free space.

Looks like its time for me to leave SFS2 for system partition only, and all the works partition convert to JFS.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
And one more interesting test:

Trying to notice what happenes with CPU loading when i play mp3 from parition and copy files on that partition at the same time:

JFS: cpu load jump to about 50%, and almost all the time here while coping is happenes. and no any stops of music or kind.

SFS2: cpu load jump to 30-40%, then dropdown to 1-0%, music stops on a while (1-2 seconds), and coping of files also stops on that time, and then, start to works again, and cpu speed loading again jump to 30-40%. I expect that it at some stage are "100%", but its 0-1% for the moment while everything stops.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

This is most likely because when SFS runs out of space it has to clean up the .recycled directory to make room. What happens is that the disk is actually completely full, it just hides the .recycled files from the free space. Because the disk is full it is also probably quite fragmented.

Since SFS (like PFS and JXFS I presume) are single-threaded and cannot accept a new command until the previous has been completely finished the read command from TuneNet gets put in queue (and TuneNet is halted) until the copy (including the .recycled cleanup on the fragmented disk) has finished.

Only way to fix this is to increase the play buffer size in TuneNet if possible so it can play a little longer without disk access. Or of course get a new disk :)

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Sorry for interrupting. Sometimes tunenet will lock my whole system. Only wookiechat works when the system freezes and i can also access my partiions from wb icons. However amidock, OWB etc is freezed.

This problem happens only when i try to open the playlist window sometimes while music is playing. What happens is it freezes but the music is still streaming. But the gui is dead :) Cant quit it.

I had this problem more with previous versions but still have it sometimes with the latest. I run v0.92.58. In prefs i use task priority GUI 0, Player 5

Plugins:
AIFF v1.7
MP3CAST v1.20
MP3_ENCODE v1.4
OGG v1.3
PT v1.2
WAVE v1.2

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Kicko

Its not only one problem :) For example when i iconify latest tunenet to icon, and then swith it back from icon, it almost all the time lockup and give a crash.

I write to Bean message about yesterday, but for now no answer.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e
Bean is very busy with Real Life, but maybe you get a reply sometime if you are lucky! Hopefully he can also get back to coding Tunenet sometime...

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top

Register To Post