Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

What was the name of THAT painting program?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi Everyone.

I'm a professional video game artist, and had developed my skills on an Amiga using delux paint and then Brilliance.

For a short while I owned a painting program with a very cool and unique feature that would let the artist use the copper to manually change the first 16 color indexes per scanline!

Does anyone remember which program that was?
I really have need for it now.

thanks

Go to top
Re: What was the name of THAT painting program?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Holymonkey
Photon paint, Brilliance and Deluxe paint IV all had this feature. Photon paint was quite unique, maybe this is what you remember?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c5/HAM6example.png

Regards
Gnu

-"I've been thinking too linearly. Deductive. Restrictive. I must expand my thinking... ...this is not a job for the purple blotter. The right tool for this job... is Tinker Toys!"
-"Now... Let's go synthesize some LSD!"
Walter Bishop - Fringe
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Gnu

Hi Gnu,

thanks, but I don't think this is what I'm after. I mean working in indexed color mode, NOT HAM, and theres a special feature that alows the artist to designate a horizontal line which represents a copper palette changem then set the palette for that vertical portion of the screen. (below that line.)

I think the programns you're talking about just all support ham varients but do it all automatically...(not allowing for manual palette changes per scanline)

Am I mistaken?

thanks

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Holymonkey

Yes. I believe you are right. I don't recall having direct control of the pallete per scanline... You have me curious.

Regards
Gnu

-"I've been thinking too linearly. Deductive. Restrictive. I must expand my thinking... ...this is not a job for the purple blotter. The right tool for this job... is Tinker Toys!"
Walter Bishop - Fringe
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I forgot about Digipaint III. That definately fits your description better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJwenGW8eoU

Regrds
Gnu

Walter Bishop - Fringe
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Gnu

that only works in ham mode too, doesnt it?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Holymonkey
Yes I believe you're right. I'm just throwing out ideas ;)
Here's some more. Adpro or perhaps ImageFX?
I don't think Personal Paint or TVpaint had that feature. I guess we'll eliminate those two from the list

Regards
Gnu

Walter Bishop - Fringe
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Gnu

There were far too many back then, weren't there? Express Paint, Butcher, Aegis Image, to add to the list of possibilities.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@trixie

Thanks guys. I'm still looking and will report back if I find it... It seems like I'm going to have to download and try every painting program that ever existed for the Amiga. :( a VERY big list indeed.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Holymonkey wrote:
@trixie

Thanks guys. I'm still looking and will report back if I find it... It seems like I'm going to have to download and try every painting program that ever existed for the Amiga. :( a VERY big list indeed.

lucky guy..sounds like alot of fun to me ..(of course the older we get..time is our enemy)

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Thread

Just to bring this thread up to par with the one on Amiga.org, the screenmode was called SHAM (Sliced HAM). It was a conventional bitmap with a copper list stored alongside the bitplanes.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Holymonkey

Remember to check out Graphics Studio. That was an excellent prog. If remember correctly it did 4096 colours in 640x 480 on an a2000 without a graphics card. I now it at least displayed copper grphics and you may have been able to draw them too. But it's a few years ago and when I put a graphics card in the a2000 the program wouldn't work any more. Got the program free on a cover disk from a magazine.
I may have a copy on cd around here somewhere.

renoir

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Renoir

That sounds like what HolyMonkey is looking for! 640x400 doesn't work in regular HAM mode on an A2000 so it must be a copper-list with the graphics.

I'll make sure he checks up on this thread in a timely fashion as well.

-edit-
Update. There was a review of it in AUI in May of 1988 according to Amiga Magazine Rack. They don't have scans of the review though.

Edited by Samurai_Crow on 2010/10/4 17:53:40
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Renoir

Hi Renoir,

Thanks so much for posting... unfortunately the only version of Graphics studio I can find online is version 1.0 with no instructions or manual.

I've played with it a lot and can't find ANY features for getting more than 32 colors.

I'd be forever grateful if you could find the program you're talking about to help verify what its called and what it's features are for copper.

thanks again.

And that you too Samurai_Crow

Go to top

Register To Post