Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

[SOLVED] Roadshow refuse to reboot
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Edit:

the problem is solved. Due because other program use the socket.library during the reset.

here the program is rnetmon.

Hello,

Usually, this feayture work but I sudenly, I have seen recently that this feature doesn't work anymore.

for example, open prefs/internet and change something inside (for example use static option).

After you use the save button on internet program.

A shell show: waiting the connection reset (translated to french).

and now here this window rest forever on the workbench and impossible to quit the internet program. The connection work allways fine and not be resetted.

I don't know why this problem exist now (have seen that 2 weeks ago).

Help appreciated..

with:

Nouvelle t?che Shell 5
5.WORKBENCH:> C/NetShutdown
En attente de l'arr?t du r?seau...

and wait forever.... Impossible to quit the shell window....

Edited by Mrodfr on 2010/8/24 17:48:14
Edited by Mrodfr on 2010/8/24 18:08:22
Edited by Mrodfr on 2010/9/29 6:36:08
A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Re: Roadshow refuse to reboot
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mrodfr

Quote:

Mrodfr wrote:
Hello,

Usually, this feayture work but I sudenly, I have seen recently that this feature doesn't work anymore.

for example, open prefs/internet and change something inside (for example use static option).

After you use the save button on internet program.

A shell show: waiting the connection reset (translated to french).

and now here this window rest forever on the workbench and impossible to quit the internet program. The connection work allways fine and not be resetted.

ususlly this happens, if another program currentlys is "using" the network. i had this for example with yam. if i quit yam then readshow continues to reset.
check if another program is using the betwork at that time. maybe ranger can give a hint here.

regards...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MichaelMerkel

Quote:

MichaelMerkel wrote:
@Mrodfr

ususlly this happens, if another program currentlys is "using" the network. i had this for example with yam. if i quit yam then readshow continues to reset.
check if another program is using the betwork at that time. maybe ranger can give a hint here.

regards...

no,no the problem actually arrive with nothing accessing the internet.

Some time ago, when working fine, netshutdown arrive to reset the internet with Ibrowse receiving datas at the same time (of course, Ibrowse stop during the reset).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mrodfr
I always had this problem (even with nothing using internet). Only way to get it working was to reset

Maybe should be reported as a bug...

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mrodfr

Confirmed. Unfortunately a TCP/IP stack seems to be an enormous piece of software.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mrodfr

Quote:

no,no the problem actually arrive with nothing accessing the internet.

Some time ago, when working fine, netshutdown arrive to reset the internet with Ibrowse receiving datas at the same time (of course, Ibrowse stop during the reset).

you're (almost) right.
i tried it with a clean os4.1upd2 installation and there it works fine. netshutdown does shut it down.
but this does not work with my normal work setup

one more thing which works with a clean partition and not with my real one. the other thing still is grim reaper not being able at all to end applications

regards...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mrodfr

please deactivate amiupdate in your startup prefs, reboot and try it again.
does it work then?
here it helps.

amiupdate seems to block something here.

regards...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MichaelMerkel

Quote:

MichaelMerkel wrote:
@Mrodfr

please deactivate amiupdate in your startup prefs, reboot and try it again.does it work then? here it helps. regards...

I haven't amiupdate on my startup prefs.

Don't know why amiupdate and startup prefs ???.. If we talk about the amiupdate program, I use it manually.

As Elwood said confirmed said It's a new problems with last update of AOS4.1U2 ???

The Netshutdown not reboot give me a problem because I would like to report a verry old DSI I have found lots of months ago with AOS4.

- prefs/internet
- change something and ready to use the save button on the prefs program
- load Ibrowse and locate a verry heavy internet (with lots of picture, for example)
- load the site.
- jump rapidly to internet program and use the save button.

- Netshutdown restart the connection but as Ibrowse has not finished to receive all the datas:

DSI with roadshow inside all the time. Need to be confirmed by another people

bye.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mrodfr

Quote:

Mrodfr wrote:
@MichaelMerkel

Quote:

MichaelMerkel wrote:
@Mrodfr

please deactivate amiupdate in your startup prefs, reboot and try it again.does it work then? here it helps. regards...

I haven't amiupdate on my startup prefs.

Don't know why amiupdate and startup prefs ???.. If we talk about the amiupdate program, I use it manually.

hmmm... what sense makes it to use amiupdate and not having it started automatically at startup?!

anyway - here on my side the netshutdown is NOT working if amiupdate is running in the background. if i do not start it before it sorks fine.
on the other hand i have not tested any other internet connection... i'll do that now.

regards...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MichaelMerkel

ok. did test it.
- deactivated amiupdate in startup
- reboot
- netshutdown works fine
- started owb and surfed some sites
- quit owb
- netshutdown still works fine

so at least on my side amiupdate seems to be causing some problem with the netshutdown command. even if i start and quit it.
only not starting it at all cures this?!

rigo? are you reading?

regards...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
This is annoying when it happens.

When shutting down the network, then bsdsocket.library needs to be removed and to do this all programs need to close it. It is normally a good practice that Internet programs should not keep bsdsocket.library open unless they are actually using the network.

A good example is AmiUpdate which should not keep bsdsocket.library open at all times, but instead only open it when it does the actual check and update.

However, NetShutDown sends Ctrl-C to all tasks having bsdsocket.library open hoping that they will quit. This has variying success with different programs. Normally GUI programs on the Amiga does not listen to the Ctrl-C signal unless the compiler (gcc) has silently sneaket this functionality in without the programmer knowing about it. This usually results in disaster, crashes or orphaned resources, and bsdsocket.library will not be closed.

Therefore, it is always a good idea to try to find and quit (or atleast disconnect) all internet programs before trying to shut down the net.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top

Register To Post