Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 118

FlynnTheAvatar, salass00, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Using SFS/00 on system partition after many years of FFS with long filenames
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

I have used FastFileSystem with Long filenames (DOS/07) for my system partition for my entire time with AmigaOS4, all the way from OS4.0 Pre-release Update 1 up to OS4.1 Update 2.

Today, I reformatted my system partition using SFS/00 and installed AmigaOS 4.1 Update 1 and Update 2. I'm letting my system "soak" for a few days before I add my other stuff and prefs.

I have already noticed a difference in launch time for TimberWolf and OWB, even though both of these programs actually reside on one of my JXFS partitions.

Thanks,
redfox

Go to top
Re: Using SFS/00 on system partition after many years of FFS with long filenames
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@redfox

Imho differences for timberwolf should be pretty huge, because it uses pretty heavy sys partition with all that fonts stuff. I still have sys partition as FFS, and for me timberwolf starts not very fast. I think it takes 5-7 seconds for.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: Using SFS/00 on system partition after many years of FFS with long filenames
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Actually, the difference is huge for TimberWolf. I was forgetting about the fonts.

---
redfox

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@redfox

I have SFS/02 for all my partitions under OS4.1u2 and Timberwolf loads up very fast

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
After os4.1.2, I did some backup speed tests to both FFS2 & SFS partitions.

SYS partition is 245Mb with 741 directories & 8533 files on a SFS partition.

Copy all to a FFS2 partition took 9 min (540 sec), same files to a SFS directory took 39 sec, almost 14 times faster.

I'll take my chances with SFS. PartitionWizard will tell you if a SFS partition is corrupt, but I've found I just need to copy everything to a blank partition, re-format, & copy back without loosing any files. Doesn't happen enough to worry about if you make regular backups.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@redfox

Make sure you are using the correct 512 byte block size and around 1,000 buffers not the defaults set by MTB.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Severin

I already knew about the 512 byte block size. I have now bumped up buffers from 600 to 1000.

Thanks,
redfox

Go to top

Register To Post