Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
151 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 150

skynet, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 33 »
Re: New Games possible?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@afxgroup

Even for X1000 ?

I am aware that Sam, A1 even Peg-II is too slow for 3d racing games..

But let's hope somebody ports them when X1000 is available.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
All NG PowerPC Amigas are powerfull enough for a lot of good 3D games, especially if there's good settings to reduce 3D details.

(for example every xbox1 game should run ok on almost every PPC Amiga http://games.teamxbox.com/index/general/by-genre/10/ Lack of power is not the problem. Lack of money is.)

Games like Need for speed series and coling mac rae rally have a lot of versions that ran very well even on a 600Mhz Duron & Voodoo3.

I would buy even F! GP2 fr AMiga if it came available, even though it's very old (but it has very good physics simulation)

Update ... years ago I had fun with playing Porche Unleached: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia ... NFS_Porsche_Unleashed.jpg

(IMHO: nice enough graphics to distract one from driving at some times)

Also... our niche has very limited variation of supported NGPPC HW, it will make optimizing simpler than on the x86.

Edited by KimmoK on 2010/6/9 10:28:33
- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@KimmoK

Exactly.

Its just a case of people porting to Amiga, X1000 hardware looks like being up there with the best.

As far as I am concerned hardware has been at a point now for several years where the average user just doesn't need any more RAM or CPU.

Everything that is imaginable can be done nowadays on the hardware we (computing as a whole) currently have available.

The computer age (both hardware and software) has ran its course.

In the words of Karl Pilkington: "We've invented most of the stuff that we need and now we're just messing about."

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I don't want to release Lugaru just yet. I'd like a couple of testers, you can share it, spread it, I don't care. I just don't want to upload to OS4Depot right now before it's been tested by other people.

Check link a couple of posts below to test it. If there's no testers, it'll get uploaded whether there's problems or not!

Edited by MickJT on 2010/6/9 12:11:33
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MickJT
Maybe you can just upload it sometthere, put link here, ppls will test (i am and others) and if everything ok - then os4depot.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MickJT

I have downloaded the PC version today. I can test Amiga port on my MicroA1 if you want..

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@kas1e

nah.. the files are loaded correctly. The problem is elsewhere.. is hard tyo track down those kind of problems. Actually i have a DSI on a lua call and the stacktrace is huge.. i've also raised the stack to 20MB.. but is the same.
I'm trying to understand where is the problem..

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Sinan

Quote:

Sinan wrote:
@afxgroup

Even for X1000 ?

I am aware that Sam, A1 even Peg-II is too slow for 3d racing games..

But let's hope somebody ports them when X1000 is available.

Do you have an X1000?
Don't assume that X1000 will resolve any problem. Actully on my DualG5 with 6GB of RAM and a GT6800 Ultra, World of Warcraft doesn't break the 32-35 fps barrier with all optimizationts turned OFF.. and MacOSX is "a little bit" optimized than OS4...
So forget X1000 now.. The problem is not the CPU speed but the low speed of our drivers

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Edit: Game is now released on OS4Depot, check page 4.

@kas1e

I even commented out the IsFocused code so it will not freeze up when the game is not in focus anymore.

@all

I'm aware the game isn't really playable in windowed mode with nomousegrab, since the mouse leaves the window too much! If I figure out a way to toggle it with an FKey or something, I will try that, but as I don't know C, it's going to be a copy/paste job and guesswork :)

Please report back different system configurations (gfx card type/memory, CPU mhz) and percieved FPS speed.

It was reported to me by someone earlier that the ground seems "transparent". At first I didn't understand but I see it now. Unfortunately I don't know how to fix this. kas1e!? :)

This also hasn't been tested with the full version of the game.

Edited by MickJT on 2010/6/9 12:12:23
Edited by MickJT on 2010/6/9 12:55:11
Edited by MickJT on 2010/6/9 19:00:47
Edited by MickJT on 2010/6/10 9:45:10
Edited by MickJT on 2010/6/10 9:45:48
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@KimmoK

look at this game

http://www.viewizard.com/astromenace/index_linux.php

and look at requirements..
I've ported it (writing also X86->PPC reading routines)... do you want to try?
On my A1 933MHZ 1GB of RAM it makes 4fps.. and it should be usable on a Pentium with 128MB of RAM..
and i have a lot of other games in the same sad situation..

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@afxgroup

It may sound stupid, but I think all ported games should be released to public although it is slow on current hardware.

I think it is the only way to improve the drivers and change people's will to upgrade their Amiga systems.

Anyway these ports are very good start after long silence.

In May I was able to test 2 new ported games (Homeworld and Freespace2) on my MicroA1. With MickJT and your ports it will be 4 new games in 1 month which is a good thing :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hmm.. I think it's fog effects making the ground transparent. If you enable debug mode (config.txt), then press ~ and type "skybox" you will see.

Then if you type "viewdistance 0" then "skybox" again you will see just the skybox backgrounds.

Unfortunately it turns the character into a wireframe, and none of the commands like "funnyrabbit" work for me.

There's code for transparency in Terrain.cpp. I may fiddle with that. No OS4Depot release tonight :)

Edit: Actually windowed mode without "nomousegrab" isn't too bad. You can free the mouse by using amiga+m to go to another screen and then reclaim the mouse back on the workbench screen.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I have to agree with AfxGroup about bad realisation of our drivers and opengl support. Its slow. Maybe someone can say that is better than nothing, but when you have on 2-3 times slower app on amiga, if compared with almost the same config (or worse) with PC, then its pretty sad.

Still i really cant understand, why Hyperion not put in Todo list high priority for the making Mesa + new drivers. All new games for aos4 used OpenGL. Many demos and alt uses OpenGL. Its very big and important part of AOS4 support for end users and for bringing it on the boat, so for me it looks pretty unlogical, while they make x1000 and alt, but not do anything related to OpenGL.

Even speedup of Warp3D (which 100% possible), will speed up automatically our OpenGl realisation in twice.

If Hyperion have no time, and want to stop Warp3d support at all, then, why not make it opensource like MiniGL and SDL, so, we all can speed up it yourself. And we will do it faster that Hyperion (not 2 more years) for sure. But that is only "why" :)

Edited by kas1e on 2010/6/9 13:27:44
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@kas1e

i think we need something to host those sources and maybe a dev forum (related to thoose games)... i have a space to hos the game but i need to write also a forum..
Maybe we can use something ready to use..

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MickJT

Ok first quick report, I have the same transparent issue on my Flex 800 ...

What about the speed ?

Well is playable but only at 640*480 (detail: low) [Full screen]

... altrought is good as speed, it isn't perfect when you fight

Sound also is a bit corrupted but i'm not sure if it is Lugaru related as I have also some minor issue out there

Just to try, I put resolution at 1024*768 (with full details) but the game takes several minutes only to load somethings :-/

I have this config:

Sam Flex 800
1 GB Ram
Radeon 9250

Well before say, I think that we need a totally new driver set apart the game that off course, needs again some fix and improvements ...

Good work aniway

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@afxgroup

Maybe google code ? (like aos4 sdl) ? I have also in stock about 5 games, some of them buggy, some of them slow, will be cool to have ability for uplaoding all that sources for everyone in one place .. But we need gygabates of space (i think google.code are limited by that ?)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@afxgroup

Quote:
The problem is not the CPU speed but the low speed of our drivers

I'm afraid that the CPU speed is the factor that still counts the most ? of course within the current state of the 3D acceleration layer in AmigaOS4.
There's been an interview with Hans de Ruiter recently (BlitterWolf, issue 11) and he stated that "Warp3D does not support hardware based transformation, clipping, and lighting". I understand it, that AmigaOS4 hardware 3D acceleration meets the standards of the year 1997 and still (too) much work is done via CPU...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Radov
Yes. And because of it we need new drives and new opengl. Then it will speedup all apps on the same CPUs in 2-3 times. Of course CPU make sense for Math and alt, but for now, our problem its bad realisation of OpenGL (through that rare Warp3d).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Ok. To whom should I send my 50e to have new 3D drivers made soon?:)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Radov

Mmmm Friedens boyz ... ?

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 33 »