Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

Magic, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

few noob questions for AmiCygnix
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
few questions for AmiCygnix:

1- how do I save my current dekstop photo? keeps going back to default one?
2- how to change date/time at bottom screen bar?

Go to top
Re: few noob questions for AmiCygnix
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@328gts

Quote:

328gts wrote:
few questions for AmiCygnix:

1- how do I save my current dekstop photo? keeps going back to default one?

Please use "myX11Setup" for this. Run the program, choose the path of your background image and push "Save" (You must restart AmiCygnix afterwards).

Quote:

2- how to change date/time at bottom screen bar?

You can't change the time. The panel (and other programs) are using the systems time recalculated with the unix timezone data included in AmiCygnix.

This timzone data is currently not up to date! I guess, this is your problem. I already have an updated timezone package here, which should be included in the next AmiCygnix update. If you like, you can test this package to see, if it solves your problem.

You should also check your environment variable "Cygnix/TZ", if it contains the right timezone.

CygnusEd

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cygnusEd

thanks..I'll give it a try..btw, my time is right in OS4.1 so I would'nt mind trying that update

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @cygnusEd
myX11Setup is a very nice Config. manager. I recently put KenLester's "Holiday" in the backdrops drawer.The setting for Background Pic is:
Cygnix:CygnixPPC/share/pixmaps/backgrounds

I installed OS4 SDK v53 and AmiCygnix SDK Lite this weekend. Wow, impressive! I do a lot of reading and playing with the "ACE of Penguins". Thanks for the great works! Merry Christmas to you and family.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@328gts

Quote:

btw, my time is right in OS4.1 so I would'nt mind trying that update

Uuh - as english is not my mother language - does it mean, that you want to try it?

@Snuffy
Quote:

I installed OS4 SDK v53 and AmiCygnix SDK Lite this weekend. Wow, impressive! I do a lot of reading and playing with the "ACE of Penguins". Thanks for the great works! Merry Christmas to you and family

Good to hear! And now go for your first GTK2 program
Merry Christmas!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cygnusEd

yes I would like to try that update when it's available

btw, for some reason my x11setup screen won't let me view other pics in the background folder where the other Amicygnix backdrops are?? tried converting jps to png and still no luck

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@328gts

Quote:

yes I would like to try that update when it's available

You got a PM.

Quote:

btw, for some reason my x11setup screen won't let me view other pics in the background folder where the other Amicygnix backdrops are?? tried converting jps to png and still no luck

Yes, myX11Setup says, that the picture must be located in the AmiCygnix path tree. But this is not correct. The picture can be located everywhere.
If you want to store the picture somewhere else, you have to initialize it by hand. The path is stored in the environment variable "Cygnix/CYGNIX_DESKTOP_BACKGROUND" and must be in unix style.
Sorry for this.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cygnusEd

ah ok ..thanks for clearing that up Ed

also got the pm and will try out the update soon,
thanks for your work on AmiCygnix/ OS4.1 and Happy holidays to you and yours

UPDATE:

Ed, downloaded the time zone manager and installed as per you instructions but don't notice any difference?..is there something else I have to do once I install the update??

also, I still can't figure out how to get a picture of mine as the workbench backdrop??where exactly can I find the environment variables??

Edited by 328gts on 2009/12/20 4:44:13
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

Quote:

Snuffy wrote:
Hi @cygnusEd
myX11Setup is a very nice Config. manager.

How do you use it? I tried clicking on the icon, but all it get is "Unable to open your tool 'myX11Setup'."

I've looked for ways to run it from inside the AmiCygnix screen, but so far, no luck.

I don't know that I need to run it, but while I was setting the base up yesterday it came to a browser setting, with "/Sys/Utilities/IBrowse/IBrowse" and suggested I go with the default. I did, but that was probably dumb, because there is no such program on my machine.

I guess I could just hand edit Envarc/Cygnix/GOFFICE_BROWSER to where IBrowse is. Or why not to Netsurf?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @kilaueabart

I've looked for ways to run it from inside the AmiCygnix screen, but so far, no luck
It's used from OS4 desktop in the AmiCygnix drawer. Click it as normal icon and a GUI allows you to setup the X11 environment the way you want to run it. If AmiCygnIX was installed OK, it should work fine. =:o

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kilaueabart

How do you use it? I tried clicking on the icon, but all it get is "Unable to open your tool 'myX11Setup'."
Is the "E" flag set in the icon?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11367727@N07/page1/
Photo #2 shows what the GUI looks like. Anyway, Merry Christmas there in Hawaii ! Ho, ho, ho.... =:o

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

(Why won't Netsurf let me use the "Quote" buuton?)

It turns out "Execute" was not checked. I wonder why?

Anyway, checking it made X11Setup work. Thanks for that.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cygnusEd

re-installed the base Ami-Cygnix package after I installed the Update and now the date and time is fine

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@328gts

re-installed the base Ami-Cygnix package after I installed the Update and now the date and time is fine

Good idea...I think it's time I did the same thing. I've bumped into some update niggles myself!

@Snuffy
Seems to be o.k. But does "Cygnix:Start_AmiCygnix.bat" exist?

@cygnusEd
Nope, doesn't exist anywhere on the drive! When I first installed AmiCygnix (OS4.1 release) and filled out the config file and got the error, but when I used the AmiCygnix Icon and the system worked perfectly from the config file, I used that ever since until this OS Update1. I'm going do what '328gts' suggested this weekend and see what happens.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @cygnusEd

In AmigaOS4 Update 1, Intuition was updated:
"Reduced video memory consumption due to improved screen handling."
From your view, how does X11 behaving to this? Since I use SDLBasic a lot, there's a very noticeable slow down in SDL. Recycling screen memory routines doing this or is it SDL architecture? Just some curious 'nose/knows poking!'

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Snuffy

Quote:
In AmigaOS4 Update 1, Intuition was updated:
"Reduced video memory consumption due to improved screen handling."
From your view, how does X11 behaving to this?

The X server writes the gfx data directly into the video memory - he doesn't use any OS render routines. Intuition is only used for message handling (mouse, keyboard, ...) and for opening the window / screen.

Quote:
Since I use SDLBasic a lot, there's a very noticeable slow down in SDL. Recycling screen memory routines doing this or is it SDL architecture? Just some curious 'nose/knows poking!'

I really don't know - I don't know much about the SDL code.

Go to top

Register To Post