Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

Georg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »
Re: OS4.1 Update 1 problems & solutions
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel & Bean

Quote:

I experienced the same, but it's not TuneNet's fault i'm afraid

1) Play an MP3 through TuneNet and adjust the sound to what you find appropriate in Mixer (i.e. -20db)
2) Now play a .wav file through TuneNet and the Mixer prefs will get changed (dunno why), the sound itself will be too loud as if the settings has been changed on-the-fly back to the original settings, although the sliders in Mixer stay the same
3) Play an MP3 again and it will be too loud

The strange thing is, i need to move the Mixer's slider down or up and the volume level "jumps" down to my volume originally set, you will hear it especially if you set the volume down very low

Seems to be either a problem of the OS4 sound handling or Mixer has a bug yet to determine?

edit: Some more information

from Mixer README:

- When starting audio programs like AmigaAmp, these programs can change the volumes too and this change won't be seen in the Mixer.

Another program is not started while playback of sound files, but maybe the plugins use foreign code that could be checked against?

Of course, i could also be on the completely wrong track

I just did a few tests and I can confirm that it's like you say. But, unlike I said in my previous post, it's the playback PCM volume that is affected, not the master. IIRC, this used to happen in the past, but at some point it got fixed. Now it's back.
IMHO no program should be allowed to override the Mixer settings.
By the way, personally, I wish that the Mixer and AHI preferences merge sometime.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@saimo

Well, if you look at the History in Mixer readme, you can see
Quote:

History
-------
** 24 Dec 2009 - Davy Wentzler
** 1.24 - SB128 volume control was messed up in previous version. Fixed.
** 14 Aug 2009 - Davy Wentzler
** 1.23 - It was possible that slider settings did not correspond to the actual
** volumes. For example, setting the slider to 0dB (shown in the Mixer's
** display) could result in a volume of +1.5 dB. Fixed.
** - The slider values often didn't correspond to actual values. For example,
** a value of -2.7 dB is not possible on AC'97 chips. The Mixer is now
** displaying actual possible values.
** - Unmute on Revo 5.1 didn't work. Fixed.
** 04 Jul 2009 - Davy Wentzler
** 1.22 - Added ARexx support for the CS4281
** - When Mixer was run without Mixer.prefs in ENV: or ENVARC:, default values were
** wrong. This could result in all sliders being at 0dB.

How easy could there be a regression/reintroduction of a known bug with all thoser changes?

@DaveAE

Could you, if your time allows, comment on this, please?

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:
How easy could there be a regression/reintroduction of a known bug with all thoser changes?

The problem is not with Mixer (Mixer has not changed with Update1) and maybe it isn't even a bug - to me, it just seems that applications can override Mixer's settings.

More information: I've just tested the old version I was using (0.8652 - IIRC if was followed by at least another version which I discarded for some reason I can't remember) and the problem does happen! However, I'm pretty sure I didn't have it before Update1. So, if it isn't Mixer's nor TuneNet's fault, maybe it's something in the audio (AHI?) drivers?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@saimo

Probably it's the same thing that happens when recording on ?A1, the audio driver overrides whatever volume setting is set in Mixer.

An old thread I created about this issue:
Mixer and mute settings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@salass00

Quote:
Probably it's the same thing that happens when recording on ?A1, the audio driver overrides whatever volume setting is set in Mixer.

So it seems. What's strange is that before Update1 I didn't happen, and Mixer and TuneNet don't seem to be directly involved.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
This is a recurring subject it seems. It's my opinion that applications shouldn't use AHIC_OutputVolume for changing volumes. I've talked to the Tunenet author some time ago, and he said Tunenet wasn't using this at all. So I don't really know what can cause this.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I found that Turbocalc has no menus because I had 'english Euro' language selected in Locale prefs !
You need to select 'english' without the Euro sign !!!

That explains why other languages DO work, Its the Englisch with Euro sign that screws up TurboCalc.

Bloody Euro

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@RacerX
I didn't see anything about changing the icon sizes.
Does the Sys:Prefs/Workbench -> tab work?

@#20
Dragster
I've installed this great update it on my Peg II..
I'm totally jealous!

@ unimon
Well, first I formatted the sys partition and try to boot de CD... but nothing worked...
You not using bootup CD correctly-----------
To bootup from InstallCD:
1.Esc to Uboot on startup of machine
2.Bootup Options
3.MutltiBoot Options
4.Boot 1.device=CD (You must overide the HD)
5.Esc key
6.Esc key
7. Menu="Use for this session Only"
8.(Enter key)

@Bean
Nice one! I had to set AHI to use SB128 settings on all Music Units to avoid installing a mixer. Works nice!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@iano

I had the same problem. The lha archive is corrupted if downloaded by IBrowse.
I downloaded it with OWB.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

Quote:

Snuffy wrote:
@RacerX
I didn't see anything about changing the icon sizes.
Does the Sys:Prefs/Workbench -> tab work?

That changes the rest of the icons, but not the ones in the AmiDock.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Now that I've got update1 installed I've been working on getting everything else set up and working. I can't get PageStream running because of USB printer problems. Even with OS 4.1 (no update) I had to have the printer turned on to change the driver to "usbprinter.device" in Printer Prefs but everything worked fine once I got the device set and adjusted settings. With update1, starting PageStream caused multiple requesters informing me that the device can't be accessed and little white background messages about USB are written to the screen. It's crazy. A little white block is written on the PageStream screen, then the WorkBench screen pops to the front with a Requester. When I cancel the requester, the PageStream screen pops to the front with another little white block containing a USB message. That process repeats about a half dozen times and then PageStream is loaded but doesn't work. If I reboot, the system boots to a frozen WorkBench screen and I have to do a hard system reset.
I only print about once a week and shouldn't have to keep the printer turned on all the time just to get programs working. Is there a solution for this problem??
UPDATE: Printer problem resolved by reverting to previous usbprinter.device from OS4.1 (no update).

P.S. I'm getting lots of system freezes as I struggle to get different apps working.
UPDATE: Most of the freeze problems stemed from my booting back and forth between an OS4.1 partition and an OS4.1u1. Booting with the wrong kickstart files is a bad idea. I don't know what I was thinking, duh.

Edited by xenic on 2010/1/24 4:57:24
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I finally have my Screens settings for IBrowse to start on it's own screen. It's set up the same as on OS 4.1 (no update) but it now frequently crashes when I start it. Is the IBrowse on the update CD still an OEM version and does it work better than a registered IBrowse?
EDIT: I disabled JIT (petunia.library) and IBrowse is stable again.

Edited by xenic on 2010/1/24 4:59:48
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

Jack wrote:
Just installed the update, and found this:

Quote:
Ringhio is a system-wide notification server for AmigaOS 4.1 NOLINE
NOLINE: Unknown command
NOLINE failed returncode 10
NOTIFICATIONS is a preference editor for the Ringhio server NOLINE
No description available NOLINE

Bumping it: does anyone knows what might produce the following after boot?

Edit:
And this again: here slb (from update CD) doesn't support booting from jxfs partitions. Is it by desing or something wrong in my setup?

TIA,
Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
here slb (from update CD) doesn't support booting from jxfs partitions. Is it by desing or something wrong in my setup?

Nothing wrong on your system. I tested it and SLB can't find JXFS partitions (SLB 1.19 26.11.2008 in update1).

Btw. Popup menus have Version string option now. Getting version of SLB that way gives me Quote:
slb_v2 1.19 (26.11.08) Compile options: CD booting, HD booting, SFS support, Linux on RDB booting, TFTP boot support.

(Popup menu option gives better version string than information window.)

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

TSK wrote:
@Jack

Btw. Popup menus have Version string option now. Getting version of SLB that way gives me Quote:
slb_v2 1.19 (26.11.08) Compile options: CD booting, HD booting, SFS support, Linux on RDB booting, TFTP boot support.

(Popup menu option gives better version string than information window.)

9.aos4.1:> version l:slb_v2 full
slb_v2 1.19 (26/11/08)
Compile options: CD booting, HD booting, SFS support, Linux on RDB booting, TFTP boot support.

(banging meself on the forehead, should have tried the version to get the definite answer....)

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
version l:slb_v2 full

Doh. I forgot the shell command.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Another couple of problems, both regarding the Assign-Mount functionality:
* unchecking the "Enable Assign-Mount" option in DOS Preferences has no effect;
* the title of Assign-Mount requesters looks like this:"AmigaDOS Process: <number> "<name>" - since those requesters are usually very narrow, often nothing besides <number> can be seen.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@saimo

Looks like none of the beta testers ever turn
the Assign-Mount switch off.

Title bar now fixed for a later update.....

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@colinw

Quote:
Looks like none of the beta testers ever turn
the Assign-Mount switch off.

Yeah, I suspected that was the case. In fact, I discovered the problem only because to test this I tried to disabled Assign-Mount temporarily.

Quote:
Title bar now fixed for a later update.....

Nice, thanks

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I've noticed that the pop-up menu in Workbench with the right mouse button reacts to what the mouse pointer is over, not what's highlighted. For example if you single click an icon to select it then move the mouse pointer off the icon to the Workbench (without unselecting the icon) and hold down the right button, you get the menu for Workbench and not the icon.

Is this a feature or a bug?

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »