Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 93

skynet, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »
Re: Firefox coming to OS4.1 !!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Hans wrote:
Yeah, I'm glad that the Friedens decided to focus on OS 4.1, and use the best features available rather than reducing to the lowest common features that the various OSes have.
Hans

+ 1,000,000 (to the power of infinity)

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
now question is: When?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@seiyas

When it's done ?:))

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@seiyas

Have patience.

Maybe late next year maybe??? Who knows. But i'm excited.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Am I the only one who thinks this is bullcrap?

AmigaOS3 NetSurf VS Firefox 68k

Ah hes changed the title at last! I dont like liers!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@magic
I think he was supposed to title it as:
68K Netsurf vs (RDP) Firefox on OS4.1

yeah... that would be much better...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mrodfr

Quote:
Plugins from firefox/Timberwolf will work also ????

Some Firefox addons will require certain OS versions. The generic ones though should work.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Alpyre

Quote:

Alpyre wrote:
I hope this doesnot mean we will never see Firefox on OS3.x

See, this is one of the things that irks me. Why oh why do people think that because we don't do it, it will never happen? Why do people (especially over at aw.net) behave like we're actively hindering the work on other OSes? The source code for Firefox has been out for YEARS, and yet nobody could get his act together and port it. Why does the fact that we are doing it now change ANYTHING for the other "camps"?

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@seiyas

Quote:
seiyas wrote:
now question is: When?

Right now it's "When it's Done". I'll try to qualify this a bit.

What we are working on right now is 'widget'. That is the part of Mozilla/Gecko that copes with mapping to the native window system. Gecko assumes a hierarchical system where you have windows and child windows, which we don't have on AmigaOS so we need to simulate this. This has repercussions in the way that e.g. input events are handled (they need to go the "child" window).

Widget is really the biggest chunk in getting the Browser to work on AmigaOS. Once that is done, most of the browser should work. Most of the browser actually DOES work already, however, it will freeze after a second or two trying to display something.

We'd also like to adapt as many Amiga-specific features as possible. For example, I hope we can make the menus work like AmigaOS menus. This will mostly depend on the requirements for menus, and how much needs to be changed within the system to get this to work. Early versions might work without such features and go for the plain stuff.

All in all, we hope to have an alpha version by the end of the year. HOPE because for one thing we cannot really predict the amount of work left and what kind of problems are still there, and also because the MAP ("most ambitious project") is taking up a lot of time, and will do so even more in the coming weeks, meaning Timberwolf will be going down in terms of time spend on it.

Hope this answers it a bit. As it is now, we cannot give any firm commitment to a date, since all of this is a hobby project, and I have ArmA II installed on my PC as well

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rogue

Don't run, we have waited so long for a modern browser, so waiting a little bit more will not surely kill us

In the meanwhile we have OWB

Good Work !

P.S.: hope to see OS 4.1 update as soon as possible

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rogue

Quote:
Why do people (especially over at aw.net) behave like we're actively hindering the work on other OSes? The source code for Firefox has been out for YEARS, and yet nobody could get his act together and port it. Why does the fact that we are doing it now change ANYTHING for the other "camps"?

Maybe others developpers feel to not have the knowledge and time to do a port of Firefox untill now...

As you have seen, you have announced that you port Firefox that nobody think you don't arrive to do that but better all know you will success and immediately give money to the bounty Thats great finally

I think now maybe other developpers (like with owb or netsurf) would like to port to another platform with the work you will done on the port (and partly paid by the bounty) and they are sure you will refuse the cooperation (they maybe not tried to ask you and think you will refuse) ????

Maybe just a few programmers could port something big like firefox to the amiga, and It's not a speedy port, but with the amiga code inside, but there are maybe more candidate to port to other platforms.

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rogue

I think you're doing a great job. On aw there are certain people ONLY whining. Glad i'm not you,i would have "clicked" in my head a 1000 times allready. I'm really looking forward to this port. As a coincidense this weekend i tested my dads laptop. And he had isntalled firefox. I don't really understand why everyone is critising it for being crap. Worked like a charm on his vista machine. Kust like any other browsers.

Keep up the good work.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Is it only me, or ...? I am totally overwhelmed by the reactions to this announcement. Two brothers do a port of some software in their spare time - and the forums seem to explode. Panic, hysterical reactions, hatred, everything someone can imagine. Wow.

I did not have that extreme close-up look to the "community" until last year, 'cos I used my OS3.9 setups and where not interested in Amiga NG stuff, be it MorphOS or AmigaOS 4.x. I was not interested in UAE stuff. I was not interested in AROS stuff. Only my two OS3.9 Amigas. I'm a littlebit autistic in these topics

Now I own a SAM and OS4.1, NOW I'm interested in OS4-related stuff and tried to learn a littlebit about the history since the last OS update (3.9). A I learned about the whole struggle between ... o.k., I won't repeat it here. But in the end of the day a lot of things are YEARS behind us! And STILL there's so much emotion in the forums. Incredible (for me, at least).

(P.S.: I'm still not interested in AROS. And still not interested in UAE. And I loose interest in my OS3.9 setups. I can't concentrate on too much things parallel... )

(P.S.II:
@Rogue: I hope you and your brother have a positive kind of autism - to go on with your work!)

[edit: ps']

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@cha05e90

Dunno, it seems pretty calm here on amigans ;)

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Ok... NOW you have my attention.

Awesome News.

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rogue Quote:
Why do people (especially over at aw.net) behave like we're actively hindering the work on other OSes?

You really shouldn't take a few vocal idiots seriously, and assume most think like that. I think most realise it's not your job to write OS3/etc software, and that Amizilla's failure is not your problem.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cha05e90 Quote:
Panic, hysterical reactions, hatred, everything someone can imagine. Wow

Really? I thought the overall reaction was very positive. Mainly only bernd_afa decided to exploded in an orgy of incoherant unintelligible anger about it & spam AW.net.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

I find it amazing that the MODS let him.
Clearly it was forseeable that he will keep on mugging already in his very first posts.

I pity that poor guy, he knows he's on a skinking boat but is too afraid (or too old?) to leave it.

@Frieden Bros.

Would you like my shrine of yours with candles or daylight?

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:
@Frieden Bros.

Would you like my shrine of yours with candles or daylight?

I've already sacrificed two goats here, and you haven't even got the candles sorted?

Chris

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel Quote:
I find it amazing that the MODS let him.

If you want to provide moral support (no need to name names or threads, as this was simply the straw that broke the camels back), I started a thread here that could be relevant:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... ?topic_id=29665&forum=7&0

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »