Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: AOS4 graphics update is slower now
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

ikir wrote:
Have you tweaked tooltypes of your monitor?

IMHO it is not a matter of monitor settings, but of blitting and/or data transfer to video memory. Maybe the latest changes in the video drivers (HAM support, overlay, etc.) have caused this side effect. It would be nice to hear directly from the developers... can anybody enlighten us, please?

saimo

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Ikr

I set up only the monitor options, from the manual's monitor i adjust : "VSYNCMIN
VSYNCMAX
HSYNCMIN
HSYNCMAX"

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Would someone who has a working "fast" Update4 installation AND a working "slow" Final installation do this for me:

1) Boot the Update4 installation, run Prefs/ScreenMode and write down the Mode Properties (Visible size, Maximum colours, Horizontal and Vertical freequencies).
2) Boot the Final installation and write down the same numbers.

See if there is any difference between the two installations and report back here.

[edit]
I've tried Update4, current beta system and Final release and I can't see any difference between them as long as the GUI settings are the same in each one.
Of course, if you have window drag-with-contents set in Final but not in Update4, then it will be slower.
[/edit]

Edited by tonyw on 2006/12/27 0:13:58
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw

Quote:

Would someone who has a working "fast" Update4 installation AND a working "slow" Final installation do this for me:

1) Boot the Update4 installation, run Prefs/ScreenMode and write down the Mode Properties (Visible size, Maximum colours, Horizontal and Vertical freequencies).
2) Boot the Final installation and write down the same numbers.

See if there is any difference between the two installations and report back here.

Just to be clear, in my case I have kepy my custom Picasso96 settings.

Quote:
[edit]
I've tried Update4, current beta system and Final release and I can't see any difference between them as long as the GUI settings are the same in each one.
Of course, if you have window drag-with-contents set in Final but not in Update4, then it will be slower.
[/edit]

You can't notice the difference probably because there is not much of a difference between the latest beta system and the final. You should compare the public update 4.
I will re-install it, do a few tests and report the results soonish.

saimo

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Then I noticed that mouse acceleration where on, where slow mouse movement.
I did not notice any slowdown when moving windows.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

I tried, but unfortunately U4 Kickstart won't boot anymore (I guess it's because of compatibility issues with the new SFS). So, no U4 tests from me.
A test I did anyway was using the new method (monitor tooltypes) for defining screenmodes instead of the old one (Picasso96Prefs): as expected, no change in speed whatsoever.

saimo

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
what about this line?

(CHIPTYPE=ATIRadeon.chip)

try removing the '(' and ')' symbols

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:
what about this line?

(CHIPTYPE=ATIRadeon.chip)

try removing the '(' and ')' symbols

That module is in the Kickstart and already loaded. I don't think it would make any difference (but I will do the test just for you ).
The point is that it's graphics *drawing* to be slower - monitor settings are OK.

edit: test done: no change.

saimo

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

saimo wrote:
Quote:

I tried, but unfortunately U4 Kickstart won't boot anymore (I guess it's because of compatibility issues with the new SFS). So, no U4 tests from me.

You can't boot the AmigaOS4 final Workbench partition with the Update4 kickstart modules, it's not SFS but a lot of programs and libraries requiring the newer exec, newlib, intuition, etc., with the Update4 kickstart modules you have to boot an Update4 Workbench partition.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
You can't boot the AmigaOS4 final Workbench partition with the Update4 kickstart modules, it's not SFS but a lot of programs and libraries requiring the newer exec, newlib, intuition, etc., with the Update4 kickstart modules you have to boot an Update4 Workbench partition.

I've been too concise, sorry
I did put UF aside and re-install the previous, full U4 to the same partition (because I had no spare partitions). The only change with respect to my pre-UF setup was thus the new SFS installed on the disk: since I did not deem it safe to re-install the previous one, I gave up and restored the UF setup.

saimo

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

saimo wrote:
@joerg

I've been too concise, sorry
I did put UF aside and re-install the previous, full U4 to the same partition (because I had no spare partitions). The only change with respect to my pre-UF setup was thus the new SFS installed on the disk: since I did not deem it safe to re-install the previous one, I gave up and restored the UF setup.

saimo

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean with new SFS installed on the disk. Did you use the Update4 kickstart modules except for SmartFileSystem and used the one included in the final version instead? That should have worked.
Unless you replaced the diskcache.library.kmod as well, the one included in the final version doesn't work on Update4.

Or did you install a m68k version of SFS which is newer than the PPC native one included in Update4 in the RDB of the HD?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean with new SFS installed on the disk.

I mean the (raw?) data stored on the disk that can be written only with MediaToolbox - i.e. not the file in Kickstart.

Quote:
Did you use the Update4 kickstart modules except for SmartFileSystem and used the one included in the final version instead? That should have worked.

I thought that could be a possible test, but I did not want to risk.
What I did was removing *all* the UF files and restoring *all* the U4 files to the boot partition.

edit: by "*all*" I mean also the preferences, utilities, and whatever additional files I may have added/modified - in practice, I restored the latest full backup of my U4 setup.

Don't worry, SFS seems to be working perfectly

saimo

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

saimo wrote:

I mean the (raw?) data stored on the disk that can be written only with MediaToolbox - i.e. not the file in Kickstart.

Did you use the Update4 version of MediaToolBox to install the PPC native SmartFileSystem into the RDB? The current version finally shouldn't allow that anymore ...

Anyway, the only reason that doesn't fail with AmigaOS4 final is that the same version of SFS was loaded as kickstart module already, file systems are only loaded from the RDB if there is none with the same dos type already, or the one which is there already has a smaller version.revisions - which is the case with Update4 => you can't boot.

PPC native file systems must not be stored into the RDB with MediaToolBox, that's not supported and never will be, only m68k file system can be stored in the RDB!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
Did you use the Update4 version of MediaToolBox to install the PPC native SmartFileSystem into the RDB?

So it must be, given that I was updating from U4 manually...

Quote:
Anyway, the only reason that doesn't fail with AmigaOS4 final is that the same version of SFS was loaded as kickstart module already, file systems are only loaded from the RDB if there is none with the same dos type already, or the one which is there already has a smaller version.revisions - which is the case with Update4 => you can't boot.

Perfect explanation. Thank you!

Quote:
PPC native file systems must not be stored into the RDB with MediaToolBox, that's not supported and never will be, only m68k file system can be stored in the RDB!

Ouch
I had forgotten this bit!!! I'll install the M68k version ASAP.
Thanks again, your help is much appreciated

saimo

edit: fixed quote and emoticon

Edited by saimo on 2006/12/28 14:23:44
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@saimo

Quote:
Quote:

Ouch
I had forgotten this bit!!! I'll install the M68k version ASAP-
Thanks again, your help is much appreciated :thanks:

Why would you want to do that?

He said that the PPC version of SFS can?t be installed in the
RDB, that doesn?t mean that you can?t use it...it?s used by
simply loading the SFS through Kickstart, no need for it in
the RDB anymore

You got there something confused

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
Why would you want to do that?

Precisely because of what joerg himself explained: if for some reason the filesystem is/can not be loaded as a Kickstart module, still there is a way to boot the OS.

saimo

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)