Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Wordworth 7
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have install wordworth 7 on my AmigaOS 4.0 PPC and I only have one font is this normal or have I missed something out?

Go to top
Re: Wordworth 7
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Ant

You need to add FONTS:_TrueType to Wordworth's font paths. I think the program to do it is Tools/InstallFonts.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Ant

Hopefully Chris has helped out with the Problem there.

As a matter of my interest, I recently picked up this program and revision in the last auction I purchased. What are your thoughts on this program?

Pros, Cons?

Thanks

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Slayer

I like it, I actually have the Wordworth 7 manual too, it has a lot of surprisingly good features hidden away too.

If I could, I'd get it scanned and pdf it somewhere, but there's all this worry about Copyright which belongs to LH Publishing.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Slayer

Pros, Cons? My "Con" -viction...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_451

Seriously, it's old. It's going on twenty year old bugs! Give me the date the company (Digita International) last updated this product? I wouldn't buy it ever! Same goes for PageStream; same goes for any old Amiga software. Hey, if I can't buy my software locally, then maybe it ain't "worth" it!

Wordworth 7 CD-ROM: $ 89.95
Since its launch in 1991, Wordworth has grown to become the most successful and most popular word processor ever developed for the Amiga.

I think this available from SoftHut.com, but I wouldn't never touch it if was $9.95.
If I need to seriously need a WP, Abiword works fine, thanks to Edgar Schwan. And, then there's the public library and MS Word.

I noticed some Amigans have 'romance' problems with old Amiga software. Grow-up and move on!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mikey_C

Hmm, but surely anyone who bought a copy has the manual anyway, so there be no need to do that....

It's a really good word processor, does what it says on the tin, and works under OS4 with only the very smallest of quibbles. (Some of which it had under 3.5 IIRC)

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Snuffy

Have you actually ever used Wordworth? It's a damn good WP which does all the usual word processing tasks very quickly (on OS4), and has some basic "document processing" functionality. I much prefer it to MS Word and AbiWord, and if the basic document processing isn't enough then IIRC Pagestream can import Wordworth files.

Pagestream is still in development, you can read about the developer's issues elsewhere which have effectively stalled the Amiga version for the moment.

Digita gave the Amiga a great WP and other productivity software. Wordworth is well worth the asking price (although after ten years I would question $90 as being a bit steep - 1991 was when the first version was released btw, not WW7 which was closer to 1998), as is Pagestream.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I love WordWorth 7 on my A1200 060! Its great!

But I usually am forced to use the lesser Final Writer because Final Writer #? has a Thesaurus and Word Word does not :(

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@All

thanks for all your feedback peeps! very much appreciated!

btw, I didn't buy it as per say, it came with the cpu auction bits and pieces.

@ChaosLord

Quote:

But I usually am forced to use the lesser Final Writer because Final Writer #? has a Thesaurus and Word Word does not :(

Amigas can Multitask

ie I wouldn't think you'd need the functions of a Thesaurus that readily that it needs to be present all the time, surely?

Otherwise we will have to start improving your oncall vocabulary instead

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

If you want to buy a word type program, feel free to look at vesalia or alinea computer, and get amiga writer 2.2, and it was released around the 2000 mark, not 1991.

Cheers.

P.S. If you want to support current developers and their gear, two spring to mind immediately in recent times.

Hollywood 4 and hollywood designer

BOH the game.

HOpefully Discreet fx are telling the truth, and we get to buy Aladdin 4D version 6, due to be released sometime this year (apparently)

Cheers Again.

Courtesy of SAM440Flex & Amiga OS4.1 only
Flex is 800mhz
A1000 with Classic 520 Amiga OS3.2.1
AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChaosLord

Quote:

WW7 has a Thesaurus...

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ZeroG

So does WW6...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Ant

Maybe the path to the fonts is missing.

Envarc:Wordworth/WWFonts needs to have the path as its value.

eg: "Work:Wordworth7/WwFonts"

Without that I think it will just find a default font only.

Bill.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Snuffy

What do you mean by "buying software locally?" Like in "buying it in your local computer store"? I don't know how things go in other countries but here in the Czech Republic street shops with computers have almost disappeared, and if you bump into one, they usually do not stock software. And certainly not _Amiga_ software

Yes Wordworth is old (yet still functional). It you want to support the development of a more modern, OS4-native word processor, please consider donating to the Cinnamon Writer project at www.desler.be .

You're, however, wrong with PageStream. Version 5 is still being developed, it's only been on hold for a year or so because the Windows and Linux versions had a higher priority. Now the author has confirmed resuming work on the Amiga version, and an update is due soon(ish).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I did not transfer my WW7 installation from my OS3.9 Amiga to my OS4.1 sam yet, but i will

I really *worked* with WW3 to WW7 - of course it's not Word or AbiWord but it was (with some minor workarounds) indeed capable of doing real stuff like writing a diploma and a Ph.D. thesis with all bells and whistles - i.e. tables, incredible amounts of vector graphics, page numbering left/right side, indeces and so on...resulting in a somewhat around 400 page monster...

The only thing that really hurted were my rather slow 040/OS3.9-Amiga while printing all that stuff...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@cha05e90

Yeah, back at the uni I wrote all of my seminar papers plus the final thesis in Wordworth 5. I really enjoyed the program, and it worked for me well.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@cha05e90

This is good to know! a strong endorsement here

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Slayer

I too wrote my thesis using Ww7, and still have it installed on OS 4, however it it showing its age a little in the area of tables etc., which lack the flexibility Word offers in that area. Coupled with the fact that I can't print from it now means it gets very little use :(

Incidentally, I had Word 2007 crash on me in work the other day when I tried to resize a table! Ho hum...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Daedalus et al.

I use Wordworth all the time and have been doing so since v2 and now use v7. I prepare all my PDFs with it, use it for letter writing - which basically is what a WP is for, printing out documents and not sending as files along with emails !

I much prefer using it to Word, mainly because I know WW backwards. I am often asked at work to prepare some document but decline the offer and let others do it, I say at home I could do it in two minutes with WW7 but using Word it would take me a lot longer to figure out M$ way of doing things. What seems so easy in Wordworth seems so unnecessarily difficult in Word ! And it is slow and sluggish compared to WW on an A1.

It is a real pity you cannot buy WW anymore and it is no longer being updated, yet it still does what I need and far more that I do not use. Just because it is old does not mean it no longer works

Bill.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Snuffy

Quote:

Seriously, it's old. It's going on twenty year old bugs! Give me the date the company (Digita International) last updated this product?

Far too long and it is a pity it is no loner updated. That does not mean it has ceased to work though does it ! It still works well, I use it frequently and far prefer using it over that Microsoft monstrosity I occasionally have to use at work.

Quote:

I wouldn't buy it ever!

I imagine Digita would be quaking in their boots

You can't buy it now even if you wanted to. It is only those that still have it that are able to make use of this excellent piece of software. It had a few issues with the very earlier versions of OS4 but now works perfectly.

Quote:
Hey, if I can't buy my software locally, then maybe it ain't "worth" it!
!

Come on get real. When at any time in the last 10 to 15 years have you been able to buy any Amiga software at any shop never mind one that is even local to anyone. If you think you are going to go down to PC World and find anyone that even knows what an Amiga is you will be doing very well. Heck even meeting anyone locally that knows what an Amiga is would be a small miracle. Apart from online people on lists like this have you ever met another Amiga user in real life - apart from maybe times when having travelled to an Amiga show !

Bill.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »