Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

BSzili, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Translators Wanted
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

One of the weaknesses of the series 1.x of Digital Universe is that is in English only. Many have asked will it ever be localised and the answer is it will be from version 2.x.

There are certainly too many text strings to have localisation in the next version, 1.7. But work is in hand to localise for v2 onwards.

I am practising localising skills with a much simpler GUI application that is a related product, 3D Stars. That is pretty much localised already.

So anyone who wants these applications in their own language and is able to help with catalog files please contact me.

So far I have translators helping for:

French
Danish
Greek
German
Spanish
Hungarian

I will of course update this list as I hear from anyone wanting to do such translations.

Anyone wanting to release a third party catalog file is also welcome to do so and I will provide the necessary .cd files to them at any time without having to wait for an official update of DU or 3DS to be released.

Edited by BillE on 2009/4/23 20:30:21
Edited by BillE on 2009/4/24 11:47:47
Go to top
Re: Translators Wanted
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
What an astounding response.

It makes me wonder why I bother.

Maybe I should just forget localisiation

Bill.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@BillE

no, surely ATO-FR will make the job. Just wondering If I'm able to translate in french your program (I don't know this domain).

Maybe another ATO-FR member on this forum will comment more this thread.... You have just given one day for answers.....

BTW, you should precise the ammount of work (ko of the catalog(s).

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BillE

You could always use the method I use. Just put the .cd files in the archive with the program and then users who are able to can translate the program for you and if they want the catalog(s) to be included with your program then they can e-mail you the .ct and/or .catalog files.

Works for me at least .

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BillE

If myou want send my via PM .cd files and will trasnalte it to spanish in my spare time.

BYE & THX

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mrodfr

If you reread Bill's post you'll notice he already have translator for french... And it's me (or to be more precise : us at ATO-fr , I think your help will not be unnecessary given the importance of the project), I told about my contact with Bill on our ML (or was it on the french OS4 ML?) some weeks ago.

@Bill

It's now some days I did not heard about you, is your "simpler GUI" going on well ?

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@abalaban

Maybe don't understand if the main program or the simplier GUI. (Read internet with too much speed at work

EDIT: yes, I have made mistakes when reading the first post.

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@BillE

and the Italian?? :)

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@BillE

I would volunteer on the german localisation, but as others have already mentioned, i would need to know the amount of work involved and if there would be a deadline as i don't have that much time/possibilities on my hand.

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@salass00

Quote:

salass00 wrote:
@BillE

You could always use the method I use. Just put the .cd files in the archive with the program and then users who are able... .

Good idea, that is something I could do.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Thanks for the response, I was rather disappointed this morning to have no emails, no PMs and not even any comments on the thread.

To clarify the amount of work etc.

3D Stars is small, the .cd file is small and not likely to change too much. I already have both French & Danish translations but would like a few more before finishing and releasing it.

As has been suggested if the .cd file is included in the archive people can then do a translation if they want at any time.

As for Digital Universe the next version (1.7) will not be localised. I am looking more long term (v2.x)and am interested in getting contacts.

The GUI is huge but I intend to split up the work and make a start soon on parts of the program I have made .cd files for. The workload will in total be quite a lot but I intend to use several .cd files so that each section can be done slowly. Eventually I will combine all the .ct files to make one large catalog or would using several catalog files be better ? I am rather new to the entire concept of localisation.

Another thing I would want to discuss with translators is whether or not large sections of code would actually need translating.

In "English" the constellation names (official ones not common names for asterisms like The Plough) are not English at all but Latin. So would the Latin be international or do different countries use their own names for such things. Likewise many of the star names are Arabic, so maybe should remain as they are. Other star identifications are in the form of Greek letters followed by the Latin genitive, again this would probably not get translated - or would it ?

The localisation is planned only for the GUI and application itself, I believe this is now normal practice. I do not expect anyone to take on the task of translating all the accompanying Guide files which would be a few decades of work in itself ! Though anyone foolhardy/brave enough is welcome to try

The Guide files do need a lot of updating in English so any translation would be a moving target and not something to realistically aim for at the moment.

I tend to collect email frequently and only check websites now and again so it is better to contact me by email or use the Contact Us form on the Digital Universe web site rather than PM.

http://www.digitaluniverse.org.uk/contact.html

bill at digitaluniverse dot org dot uk

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@afxgroup

> and the Italian?? :)

Are you volunteering ?

If so, yes please.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

Thanks, I have your email address already - you were my first real DU customer

I will send you details.

Bill.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BillE

Quote:

BillE wrote:

In "English" the constellation names (official ones not common names for asterisms like The Plough) are not English at all but Latin. So would the Latin be international or do different countries use their own names for such things. Likewise many of the star names are Arabic, so maybe should remain as they are. Other star identifications are in the form of Greek letters followed by the Latin genitive, again this would probably not get translated - or would it ?

I'd say you should allow for translation of star names and constellation names. I believe it varies a lot from language to language whether the Latin or a native name is used. In Danish, what you know as the Big Dipper is called Karlsvognen - the Chariot of Charles . And many other constellations have the name you also use, but translated to Danish; e.g. Cygnus is Svanen - The Swan. Stars more often use the Latin (or Arabic etc.) name, but we still have some with native names as well, e.g. Stella Polaris, which we call Nordstjernen - The North Star (which I believe is also used in English sometimes?).

As for the ones you mention with Greek letters and a Latin genitive, I think they would all use the same names in Danish, but normally the Greek letter would be replaced by its name in Latin letters, e.g. Alpha Centauri, not α Centauri.

In short, although I know this will come back on my own head , you'd better let the lot of them be localized.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nbache

Quote:

nbache wrote:
@BillE

I'd say you should allow for translation of star names and constellation names. I believe it varies a lot from language to language whether the Latin or a native name is used.

It is safest to add all the strings to a .cd file then, even if maybe some will not be translated, but at least there will be the option to do so if appropriate.

Quote:

In Danish, what you know as the Big Dipper is called Karlsvognen - the Chariot of Charles .

I did mention "The Plough" as being a common name and not one of the official ones that DU would use. BTW It is only the Americans that call it The Big Dipper, in 'English' English it is The Plough and we even called it Charles' Wagon in the distant past. I had forgotten that name until you mentioned the Danish equivalent. In French it is le "Chariot". I do expect these local names to change with country but was not sure about the official Latin ones that DU uses.

Quote:

And many other constellations have the name you also use, but translated to Danish; e.g. Cygnus is Svanen - The Swan.

I did think that some may be used like that, using a local rather than Latin name. How does the Latin genetive work in your language as used in a star name such as Alpha Orionis ?

Quote:

Stars more often use the Latin (or Arabic etc.) name, but we still have some with native names as well, e.g. Stella Polaris, which we call Nordstjernen - The North Star (which I believe is also used in English sometimes?).

So the star names would not translate then if the Arabic is still used, but I wonder if that is the same for all languages ?

Things like The Pole Star / North Star are common names not used by DU but Polaris would still be Polaris.

Quote:

As for the ones you mention with Greek letters and a Latin genitive, I think they would all use the same names in Danish, but normally the Greek letter would be replaced by its name in Latin letters, e.g. Alpha Centauri, not ? Centauri.

On screen the characters are shown, DU uses a custom font as things like ? were not available when originally written. However that would stay the same but in lists and windows the Greek letters are spelled out in Lain characters, it is these occurences I was wondering about. Though I guess Alpha is the same in most languages ?

Quote:

In short, although I know this will come back on my own head , you'd better let the lot of them be localized.

Yes I can provide all the strings and whether they get translated or not is up to the translator.

Best regards,

Bill.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BillE

Quote:

Though I guess Alpha is the same in most languages ?

In Swedish and Finnish that would be "Alfa" if I'm not mistaken. Maybe you can add these to the .cd file as well? IIRC there are not that many letters in the Greek alphabet.

[edit:]
Wikipedia has names of all the Greek letters:
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa

Go to top
Greek Characters - Re: Translators Wanted
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@salass00

> In Swedish and Finnish that would be "Alfa" if I'm not
> mistaken. Maybe you can add these to the .cd file as
> well?

It looks as if I should, there do seem to be a few differences though not many.

That brings me to another issue I only just thought of.

DU uses a custom font which allows the use of Greek characters. I have pasted below the original information from Dan Charrois who originated DU.

I already found one probl;em that character 160 is used for a ? these days and NList did not show it - but the class was altered by the maintainers to allow the use of such characters. So that has been fixed.

/*
I thought I'd document the ASCII codes for DU.font/9. Basically, it consists of the ECMA-94 Latin character set, with the following replacements:
160 - A0 - a - alpha
161 - A1 - ? - beta
162 - A2 - ? - gamma
163 - A3 - ? - delta
164 - A4 - ? - epsilon
165 - A5 - ? - zeta
166 - A6 - ? - eta
167 - A7 - ? - theta
168 - A8 - ? - iota
169 - A9 - ? - kappa
170 - AA - ? - lambda
171 - AB - ? - mu
172 - AC - ? - nu
173 - AD - ? - xi
174 - AE - ? - omicron
175 - AF - ? - pi
176 - B0 - ? - rho
177 - B1 - ? - sigma
178 - B2 - ? - tau
179 - B3 - ? - upsilon
180 - B4 - ? - phi
181 - B5 - ? - chi
182 - B6 - ? - psi
183 - B7 - ? - omega
184 - B8 - ? - superscript 1
185 - B9 - ? - superscript 2
186 - BA - ? - superscript 3
187 - BB - ? - superscript 4
188 - BC - ? - superscript 5
189 - BD - ? - superscript 6
190 - BE - ? - superscript 7
191 - BF - ? - superscript 8
215 - D7 - ? - superscript 9
222 - DE - ? - Capital Delta
247 - F7 - ? - Degree symbol
254 - FE - ? - Bullet
*/

Would the use of characters 160 to 254 affect any special characters used when translating to some languages that have fancy accents etc. ?

Go to top
Polish - Re: Translators Wanted
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
When looking at the statistics for the DU website a while back I noticed a lot of visits from Poland, any translators there ?

Bill.

Go to top
Re: Greek Characters - Re: Translators Wanted
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@BillE

Quote:

BillE wrote:
@salass00

That brings me to another issue I only just thought of.

DU uses a custom font which allows the use of Greek characters. I have pasted below the original information from Dan Charrois who originated DU.

I already found one probl;em that character 160 is used for a ? these days and NList did not show it - but the class was altered by the maintainers to allow the use of such characters. So that has been fixed.

/*
I thought I'd document the ASCII codes for DU.font/9. Basically, it consists of the ECMA-94 Latin character set, with the following replacements:
160 - A0 - a - alpha
161 - A1 - ? - beta
162 - A2 - ? - gamma
163 - A3 - ? - delta
164 - A4 - ? - epsilon
165 - A5 - ? - zeta
166 - A6 - ? - eta
167 - A7 - ? - theta
168 - A8 - ? - iota
169 - A9 - ? - kappa
170 - AA - ? - lambda
171 - AB - ? - mu
172 - AC - ? - nu
173 - AD - ? - xi
174 - AE - ? - omicron
175 - AF - ? - pi
176 - B0 - ? - rho
177 - B1 - ? - sigma
178 - B2 - ? - tau
179 - B3 - ? - upsilon
180 - B4 - ? - phi
181 - B5 - ? - chi
182 - B6 - ? - psi
183 - B7 - ? - omega
184 - B8 - ? - superscript 1
185 - B9 - ? - superscript 2
186 - BA - ? - superscript 3
187 - BB - ? - superscript 4
188 - BC - ? - superscript 5
189 - BD - ? - superscript 6
190 - BE - ? - superscript 7
191 - BF - ? - superscript 8
215 - D7 - ? - superscript 9
222 - DE - ? - Capital Delta
247 - F7 - ? - Degree symbol
254 - FE - ? - Bullet
*/

Would the use of characters 160 to 254 affect any special characters used when translating to some languages that have fancy accents etc. ?

? and ? are the official correct french quotation marks for example.

As a general remark doing such things (replacing meaning of the character codes) you will inevitably face problems with languages using non Latin-1 character sets. If you do not intend to port to any other Amiga OS flavor, maybe you could look at the AOS 4.x features enabling usage of UTF subsets in applications, I never used them, neither do I have idea how that works, but it seems to me I read some time (years?) ago TetiSoft writing something about that. Maybe some AOS4 dev can help you here ?

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Re: Greek Characters - Re: Translators Wanted
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@abalaban

AFAIK It is the only way to get Greek characters, unless I suppose you have a Greek language set up. There are certainly no Greek characters in English without doing such a thing.

If there is a better way of doing things if someone could let me know, and then I may be able to do something else for v2.

This is why DU has a custom font which these days can be a bit small, so if there is a way to get these characters without designing another slightly larger custom font I would be quite happy.

Bill.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »