Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
usb 16go key copy problem on SAM and AOS4.1 U1 (now)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
hello,

new OCZ 16go rally usb key, since one week. Copy for the third time with. first copy was some ko, second copy was some mo, last copy was the entire AOS4 software (for save) around 1GO. SAM+aos4.1 system used.

the copy has been made with dopus4 PPC (last version translated in french).The copy was pratically finished (around the GO copied) but suddenly, on the amicygnix part, impossible to create lots of drawer located on amicygnix.

NOTE:I remember the place of the drawers on amicygnix.

I stop the copy with dopus4 and impossible to make another copy.

the key show his name with poseidon/classic but impossible to create a copy on. linux debian unable to recognize/mount the key. Same with vista.

this morning, at job, the key has been recognized by XP and possible to format (normal and quick) the key with XP, and actually trying to full the key with datas. NOTE: 4go copied without problems.

content of the corrupted key (from a grab before formating the key with XP):

t-firm ..if 1673886 ko
p $&.\".cov 1661659 ko
p&.bp1&..pg 1824969 ko
nt-abstr.act 1624963 ko
ov@print.-da file folder
ov@print.-ti file folder

impossible to copy or delete. fortunately, format fat32 work with XP. (Of course, the original files are AOS4 OS and AOS4 programs, no files with around 1.6 go each).

the fault: AOS4.1 - dopus4 PPC - this new key (actually filled with XP) ????? don't know really....

If you have advices...

1. all files look like are 8+3 files.
2. key was FAT32 formated on factory.

Edited by Mrodfr on 2009/3/9 8:54:42
Edited by Mrodfr on 2010/1/28 18:24:41
A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Re: usb 16go key copy problem on SAM
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mrodfr

i had a similar problem and i found that it has to do with some files in amicygnix and SDK
which are soft links to other ''real'' files.
i don't know more about what exactly means that, someone could explain about it,
and if there's any way for a backup without problems.

A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.2.2 | A1260BPPC AmigaOS 3.2.2/4.0
Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.FE | PegasosII/G3 AmigaOS 4.1.FE/MorphOS 3.17
MacMini1.5 MorphOS 3.17

Long Live Amiga
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
To get around this kind of thing when I used to back up my OS3.x installion of GeekGadgets was tar the entire directory with is it -h option? Which cause softlinks etc to be turned into the solid representation. I can't remember if once you untar it it created the softlinks for you or actually install the real files each time it was required.

Maybe you should see if there is a copy switch or alternative program that does support this kind of transfer.

Sounds like a good project for someone, perhaps an author of an existing copy program alternative that could implement it in there code.

As an alternative back up the pref files only and have the Amicynix or others archived in original binary distribution.

That's what is so great about the AmigaOS there are many ways of doing something. You probably just want something to work though and I understand that but hey, you have to improvise occassionally

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

I have made another same test yesterday.

Amicygnix problems:

-dopus4 PPC give a requester who said: impossible to copy ROX. I choose continue but rox is finally copied.

-Dopus4 PPC give a requester who said: impossible to copy .dummy file 1 bytes (allready exist).

As amicygnix have 4 or 5 .dummy files copied on the amicygnix drawer, the size of amicygnix copied on the key is 5 bytes less.

Maybe Dopus4 PPC have problems with .dummy files with 1 bytes or crossdosfilesystem ????

During the copy, I have encountered the glmatrix blanker freezed. AOS4 freezed and just jump to wb screen during the dopus4 rox and .dummy errors.

At the end of the copy, DSI from Dopus4 PPC: dopus:hotkeez on the requester but the pointer was freezed. Impossible to save the output.

Finally, the copy was fine and all on the USB key but:

- Dopus4 PPC problems or crossdosfilesystem problems or USB driver problems ???

Maybe I will test again soon the same test with filemaster AOS4 to see if also problems.

Maybe finally I have found dopus4 PPC problems (I use the last version with 64 bit copy enabled).

Edited by Mrodfr on 2009/3/10 8:04:02

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mrodfr

i made an .lha file all the system partition through latest dopus
and it did'n stop anyware during the proccess and then i copy the system41.lha file in a usb.

A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.2.2 | A1260BPPC AmigaOS 3.2.2/4.0
Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.FE | PegasosII/G3 AmigaOS 4.1.FE/MorphOS 3.17
MacMini1.5 MorphOS 3.17

Long Live Amiga
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

investigate more the AOS4 copy of my key. 9 bytes are lost between the original on the SAM and the copy on the USB key.

-amicygnix/./cygnixPPC/share/icons/amigaos4/48x48/stock/net

dopus4 PPC: size 0. missing .dummy file (1 byte). copy the file from the original. OK. but size 0 again. move the key on the classic/poseidon/spider2 and size =0 and really no file inside.

-amicygnix/./cygnixPPC/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/stock/net/

same as the previous examples.

- dopus4 PPC copy the file but zero if size but file real when seing inside the drawer.

- dopus4 68k really zero inside and no file inside.

lots of .dummy with 1 bytes inside on amicygnix but sometime dopus4 ppc sometime failed to copy some .dummy files.

Tested to copy alone rox file over the one on the USB key and no problems.

Look like a problem with dopus4 PPC. Not said that dopus4PPC crash my first copy of the system on the key. at least, sometime, error when copying small files from amicygnix drawer.

maybe someone else could confirm by copying this part of amicygnix on an usb key.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mrodfr

I am ultimately a tad confused here.

When I copy from hd to key, it has always worked for me in OS4.1, yes, on my sam.

SO

Why not use OS4.1 to topy your amicygnix files, instead of loading AMiCygnix to copy files??

That just sounds like the long way around to doing something simple?

Sorry If I am mistaken here.

Courtesy of SAM440Flex & Amiga OS4.1 only
Flex is 800mhz
A1000 with Classic 520 Amiga OS3.2.1
AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amije

Quote:

amije wrote:
@Mrodfr

i made an .lha file all the system partition through latest dopus
and it did'n stop anyware during the proccess and then i copy the system41.lha file in a usb.

I'm not 100% sure but this could simply mean that either lha ignores softlinks or what I suspect treats them like empty directories. You'd have to unarc the lha archive and investigate

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

the test is copying my whole DHx: (with amicygnix a part of) with dopus4 PPC last version (64 bit copy enabled) on a OCZ USB key 16go.

- first time, key crashed. 8+3 caracters ????

- second time, work but 11 bytes mising from 11 .dummy files with 1 bytes of size each (see places on my previous post).

- amicygnix/rox hard to copy (error message on dopus4ppc but copy is done finally).

NOTE: have seen the matrix blanker freeze BTW.

I'm just searching to discover if dopus4PPC have a bug when copying .dummy files from amicygnix. for sure, the other method to make a .lha for all the system work better.

please try to reproduce this problem by copying amicygnix drawer on one of your USB key (empty).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

the problem is finally the same also when copying with dirmaster2 ppc.

Maybe softlink is the problem but amicygnix was just been installed from the archive ???

How can I verify if a softlink is used here with the 11 .dummy files ???

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

again the same problem

same 16 go usb key with some go of datas inside, formatted with FAT32, from a PC.

Test a program that cause a DSI error. I save the error on the ram: and after think better to make a copy on the usb key.

Using dopus4PPC last version and just copy this only 1 file (20ko) from ram to usb key and key become unreadable

name: Crashlog_Project1-08mai2009-2.exe_2009-05-09_09-05-20.txt (NOTE: 2 (.) on the name of the file).

Size: 21,088 ko

Protected flag: missing the (E) exe flag.

Tool: dopus4PPC last version.

Problem ???: USB, AOS, dopus4, (E) flag, FAT32, 2 point on the name of the file or name of the file too long for dopus4 PPC,......

Resized Image

Resized Image

when seing the pictures, you could see:

right: the file copied to the USB key

left : the damaged result.

and when I read the pictures, all the names of the files finally look like the content of the crashlog !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, confirmed. searching some 8 caracters (left of each 8+3 filename on the grab) and found the result inside the crashlog file (make 5 search and found 5 result on the crashlog file).

thats a verry dangerous problem !!!

Also seing pictures and my 16 GO key contain 276,3 GO !!!

Edited by Mrodfr on 2009/5/9 19:59:11
Edited by Mrodfr on 2009/5/9 20:03:34
Edited by Mrodfr on 2009/5/10 8:02:35
Edited by Mrodfr on 2009/5/10 8:03:07

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mrodfr

Looks like the filesystem has become coruputed and it treating your file as a directory.

You need to reformat the key. I always format USB drives with Linux, as I've not had satifactoey results under AmigaOS4. Depending on the drives I had problems copying large >20Mb files onto a drive, (but never reading them back).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

yes, the 20 ko crashlog file (.txt) content recover all the name of the files previously on the fat32 USB key.

of course the size of the file are wrong also on the key.

- I really would like to contact an experienced person on the AOS4 team for having technical explanation or try to resolve this problem ????

NOTE: BTW, strange thing because dopus4PPC show on the left or right list, the icons with rw_d and if I click on the icons, rawbinfo show me as rwEd. Maybe the problem is on dopus4 PPC ????

Broadblues, I'm verry interested to know how format the key on linux as FAT32 as I have also linux on the SAM !!!

Could you explain that to me ???

Edited by Mrodfr on 2009/5/10 8:01:21

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mrodfr

Quote:

Broadblues, I'm verry interested to know how format the key on linux as FAT32 as I have also linux on the SAM !!!

Could you explain that to me ???

Okay. Follow these instructions with care. They assume your stick has just one partition.

First read do

man mkfs.vfat

and read the manual for the mkfs.vfat program

Then insert your usb key and workout out which device it appears as in /dev

If you have no other scsi or usb devices it will most likely be /dev/sda1
It's probably best to list /dev before and after inserting to see which is the new device

eg

ls -l /dev/sd*

insert key

ls -l /dev/sd*

see whats added

Then to format as FAT32 do

su -c "mkfs.vfat -F FAT32 /dev/sda1"

That should be all you need.

I don't have my key here to test on to make sure that is the only options required, but I think it is right.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

Crashed=SAM - PC=PC at job

Key problem checking (on the PC at job):

1. Name (PC): ___LINK. Name (SAM): RALLY2

2. Size (SAM): 276.3 go ???
Size (PC): 1,76go used. 13,1go free all: 14,9go. Size seemed correct on the PC.

3. kind of file (PC): .fab .NG .XBR .0X5. The kind of files on the PC are also corrupted by the content of the crashlog, IMHO.

7. Datestamp (first creation and last modification) (PC):
Lots of 2040-2033-2017-... The datestamp of files on the PC are also corrupted by the content of the crashlog, IMHO.

8. Files (PC): all files and drawers are 0 bytes of size. Even if on the PC, explorer show big size files.

9. A drawer of the Key (PC) have no name. open this drawer and the complete content of the key also on this drawer. another empty drawer. open this drawer and the complete content of the key also on this drawer. and again and again an again.......

Have made a normal FAT32 format with the PC at job and all is fine again.

- First time crashed has been when copied aos4.1 on the FAT32 key with dopus4PPC.

- Second time crashed has been when copied a 20ko crashlog (.txt) on the FAT32 key with dopus4PPC.

Common points:

-FAT 32. (first crash factory formated - second onewith a PC).
-DOPUS4 PPC last beta version.
-I have copied between files from a real PC on the key.

Hope the explanation will help to found the problem (or asking me to do another tests

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

Hum. same thing (same key, same FAT32 filesystem,.......) and same problem.

this time, just copy with filer a file on SYS: called:
Crashlog_Project1-08mai2009-2.exe_2009-05-09_09-05-20.txt (20ko of crashlog .txt).

on the FAT32 key, formated with a PC some days ago and filled with maybe 100mo datas on differents drawers, from a PC.

Resized Image

8+3 Drawers and files have been created with the content of the 20 ko crashlog. It's not caused by the filemanager.

1. Maybe the cause is a file with xxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.txt (2 points on the name) ?????
2. Maybe caused by a file with a too long name or a too long path ?????

Nobody have a key and some minuts for testing because I need to go next monday at job for formating the key again No PC at home.

ADDED 12h44:
the name of the key is: Crash_log_f (_ = space) and the previous name was DATA

Edited by Mrodfr on 2009/5/21 13:01:14

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mrodfr

You can format it with OS4, connect it to your sam and then press CTRL-ALT-M.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ZeroG

I think that an update could solve a lot of problems..

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ZeroG

Thanks for the keyboard shortcut .

Don't know this point (in fact not seen all about aos4.1 because just 3 months old user).

AOS4 format the key actually. I could make test more often with this keyboard shortcut.

ZeroG:

This problem is known by the aos4 programmers and will be resolved in the next update ???

Do you know something about the problem (informations) ??? Just for me for not beginning mad each time th eproblem came).

@nubechecorre

Yes, I hope also this problem will be resolved soon... but I can't explain actually what happened (FAT32, long file name or strange file name,...)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mrodfr

I think that i dont know more than you.

Go to top

Register To Post