Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 117

DiscreetFX, smf, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Timeline, Please?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
As someone who has been away from the community for quite a while, one of the more confusing things to me upon coming here is seeing people talking about the "coming release of OS4.x". I thought that OS4.x was already out on the A1.

If someone "kinda sorta in the know" could give us a timeline?fairly detailed?say, from the initial release of the A1 until today, it would probably be helpful. I know it would be to me.

For those who are brave enough to want to know me better, visit
my Home Page, my Storefront, and blogsey
Go to top
Re: Timeline, Please?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Only the pre-release of Os4 is available to owners of A1-XE/SE and ?A1 boards.

there are ruminations of a xmas release.

Edit: Comment removed /Orgin

Hope springs eternal that it will be soon.

Edited by orgin on 2006/12/5 13:51:23
Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Billsey

"When it's done" (tm)

Or look at Paul's response which is a good sumarize...

Jerry

Defender of my A1XE-G4 / AOS4 Final Update !
Looking for a new toy ? Then try a GP2X...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Billsey

Well, the best thing you can do is to browse the news-items
on the Hyperion site, there you will see all the different
updates with dates and also the going gold of the Pre-Release.

Hyperion-Entertainment

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi Billsey, long time no read.

The owners of AmigaOne machines have been entitled to download what was called a "developer pre-release" of OS4 for testing/writing software/etc.

Because the release of OS4 has been delayed for so long (mainly because of the lack of suitable hardware), several updates to the original pre-release have been made. Thus we have "Pre-1", "Pre-2" or "Update2", "Update3" and "Update4", which was released early this year.

Hyperion have announced that they hope to make a final release "around the end of this year". Twelve months ago the release was "delayed until new hardware arrives", so we are crossing our fingers that some new hardware becomes available some time this month (December).

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Billsey
The story is long and the end result is we don't have any new Amiga computers to sell you. That is the sad truth.

While we have been waiting for new hardware products to be developed, AmigaOS 4.0 itself has been progressing. As a beta tester I know updates have been continuously appearing since the last update (#4) was released way back at the start of the year.

I also know of several hardware projects on the go. There have been some public OS4 hardware projects announced and being worked on by ACK Software Controls, Troika NG and Trio. To the best of my knowledge, none of these projects have demonstrated OS4 running on their respective hardware to the general public to date so it is very difficult for the public to judge how far along any of them actually are. Needless to say, the armchair critics are having a field day.

In the mean time, I'm using my Eyetech supplied Amiga computers (AmigaOne-XE, MicroA1-C) to keep busy. I haven't fired up my Amiga 3000 in a very long time now.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
This page has dates for all of the pre-release updates of OS4:

http://www.gregdonner.org/workbench/wb_40.html

As others have mentioned the non-availability of hardware is the only factor preventing release.

If I remember rightly Hyperion stated around the time of Update 4 that if hardware was available this would have been the final release.

Since then they have fixed more bugs and added more features, judging by some of the reports available from beta testers and shows, so the final release will include stuff not currently available to users of Update 4.

Hyperion at one point said that they hoped to have a final version ready for release by the end of the year, although there have been no public hardware developments that would make this possible. (It is, of course, impossible to rule out any non-public developments that we aren't aware of)

More recently developers from Hyperion have hinted at some kind of announcement happening this month, so there may be further news soon.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The releasing of AOS4.0 IS a milestone in the history of computing.

Essentially, a 21 year old computer operating system (with complimentary HW, ALSO ahead of it's time) that was ahead of it's time and was abandoned, and left for dead has come back, not AS GOOD AS any currently availble OS, but BETTER, because it's sleek and flexible, and offers features that todays OSs DO NOT HAVE out of the box!

We are waiting for the superior OS's return!

Be among the few, the proud, there to witness it!!!

All behind AOS4.x and anyone that is coding applications for it should be honored to be a part of this!!! They are standing on the shoulders of other very, very great people*.

Quick, I need bananas!!

* Again, those programmers of the past in addition to the ones that programmed AOS0.x through 3.9.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Atheist wrote:

Quick, I need bananas!!

Careful, I have it on reliable authority that "you are what you eat..."

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
well for us lucky ppl who do have A1's OS4 is a major treat indeed
looking forwards to the final release i hope new hardware is avail soon so all you other amigans can enjoy OS4 like am

Amiga is the heart and soul of computing nothing else comes close
Go to top

Register To Post