Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
NTFSFileSystem and FATFileSystem on OS4 ?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Did someone managed to use the 68k versions of the NTFSFIlesystem and FATFleSystem from Aminet on AmigaOS4 ?

All I get is an error message then a reaper

If it's impossible, how can I read back datas from a PC HD (no hooking it to a PC is not an option : I don't have any PC, I borrow this HD at my work since it was my old HD that was lying under dust, but still contains many data I would like to get back...) ?

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Re: NTFSFileSystem and FATFileSystem on OS4 ?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Crossdos will allow you to use fat32 formatted disks and usb drives.
There is an OS4 native version of crossdos which is used by the usb subsystem on OS4.

I have formatted USB drive om my A1, and it was recognised correctly under windows XP.
There is a problem with Win 98se, to do with associating long filename but that is specific to 98.
On XP everything is ok.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Oops!!! I forgot.

NTFS is not implemented on OS4, as far as I know.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Has somebody asked to author if he could do a OS4 version?
Or if he would give the sourcecode to a OS4 developer to do a port?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
Did someone managed to use the 68k versions of the NTFSFIlesystem and FATFleSystem from Aminet on AmigaOS4 ?

There are no versions for AmigaOS, only weird m68k MorphOS binaries which can't work on AmigaOS (not only OS4, they can't work on AmigaOS 2.x and 3.x either - except for HDs smaller than 4 GB, or on larger HDs if the partition you want to access is completely inside the 1st 4 GB of the HD).

You can access a HD with MBR and FAT partition(s) using CrossDOSFileSystem which is included in AmigaOS4, you have to create one or more (depending how much partitions there are on the HD) mountlist(s) manually, something like
Device = sii0680ide.device /* change to the device you are using */
Unit = 1 /* chamge to the unit of the PC HD */
Flags = 0
Surfaces = 1
BlocksPerTrack = 1
LowCyl = 0
HighCyl = 99999
Reserved = 1
FileSystem = L:CrossDOSFileSystem
Stacksize = 16384
Priority = 5
GlobVec = -1
DosType = 0x4D534800
Buffers = 500
BufMemType = 0
Activate = 1
save it for example as SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers/FATC and use "Mount FATC:" in a shell (or add an icon and double click it). The last char of the name is important and the same as on MS-DOS: 'C' = 1st partition, 'D' = 2nd partition, 'E' = 3rd partition, etc.
There are 2 DOSTypes in CrossDOSFileSystem and I'm not sure if the above one is the correct one for HDs with MBR, if it doesn't work try DOSType = 0x4D534400 instead.

NTFS isn't supported by CrossDOSFileSystem, and AFAIK there is no NTFS implementation at all for AmigaOS, if the partitions are NTFS you could try to read them with Linux.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@abalaban

There is a nice pice of h/w trhat might be handy in this case:

ide to usb adapter. You should find the one that supports usb1.1 (the only one I've seen is 2.0 only, won't work with an internal usb of A1 afaiu). An option that's worth checking. It has an ide connectors (44+40 pin) on one side and usb plug on the other side. And adaptor for HD power (3.5' drive). They should be dirt cheap.

Linux as it, you mentioned, has HTFS support, the kernel should be appropriately set up and compiled. Write capability is limited though.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I would recommend buying a USB cradle putting the HD in it and if it is fat32 it will appear on OS4

If its NTFS and If you have access to a PC at work plug th e cradle in to the work computer copy all your files off then format to fat32 then copy your files back on then connect to the amiga as a removeable HD.

NTFS is microsoft only linux users have the ability to read from NTFS but not write to.

you could dual boot into linux if you had it but you would have to find out how to access the NTFS drive from Linux.

Ado

PS a cradle would be about 30-40 pounds and does work I use one myself

Bloodmoon Games has released its RPG game content for free for personal use visit http://bloodmoongames.com today, or my blogg on http://bloodmoongames.blogspot.com

Wii number is : 4394 2248 4262 8983
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Thank you for all your answers.

- Yes the HD is NTFS,
- I want to be able to *read* back the data on it,
- connecting via USB won't work because CrossDos only support FAT

So seems this NTFileSystem 68k does not even work under OS3 so there is no chance I can make it works under OS4... Too bad would be really cool to have the ability to at last read those partitions

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I gather there is a better NTFS filesystem sorta thing in the works for Linux, one that will read and write NTFS partitions reliably, but it is still very much in the testing stage... :-|

Linux still can't really write to NTFS reliably, that's why most of the time Linux boxes treat NTFS partitions as read-only by default.

Incidentally, speaking of copying stuff on a peecee from an NTFS drive to a FAT32 drive... it happens that really, really large files (say, one that's a coupla gigs or bigger) can't be moved to a FAT32 partition, even if you've got oodlie gobs of space there, due to the way the FAT32 filesystem works...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi Joerg,

Nice technical answer!

NTFS isn't supported by CrossDOSFileSystem, and AFAIK there is no NTFS implementation at all for AmigaOS, ....

I'm curious! What would I need NTFS for? I thought that belonged to Window's NT system. I see a FAT convertor for FAT disks to NTFS at MS. Any good?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Snuffy wrote:
I'm curious! What would I need NTFS for? I thought that belonged to Window's NT system. I see a FAT convertor for FAT disks to NTFS at MS. Any good?

Hijacking the answer:
The problem is with inability to read NTFS, so FaT->NTFS not good here. NTFS is availbale in WIN2k+WINXP. AFAIR, WINXP-sp2 offers it to be a default...

So far the only option according to the status of AOS-related ntfs support support (besides using a PC running Winblows NT/2K/XP) on A1 is to compile NTFS kernel module and try it. It works on x86 linux, didn't try it on PPC linux.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

joerg wrote:
Quote:

There are no versions for AmigaOS, only weird m68k MorphOS binaries which can't work on AmigaOS (not only OS4, they can't work on AmigaOS 2.x and 3.x either - except for HDs smaller than 4 GB, or on larger HDs if the partition you want to access is completely inside the 1st 4 GB of the HD).

AFAIK these aren't m68k MorphOS specific binaries, not that it would make any sense to have those, what seems to happen is that they rely on TD64 which is not present on OS4. As long as this package is installed on 3.*, or if nsdpatch is disabled in >3.1 it will run.

Edited by ssolie on 2006/12/10 4:36:17
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
All

From personal experiences, I have had both a FAT32 USB harddrive working in read/write mode in my A1, and a NTFS only 160GB USB disk working in read-only mode using what is available on Aminet. I believe you have to use the older version that is found on currently on Aminet as i couldn't get the newer one working....

The one made by Marek...i just checked my L: assign and i have been using 0.2 with success...

edit: atheist: seems your post about my avatar was deleted, moderation sure is strict ;)
But better now with my avatar, here's the "special" x-mas edition that i made last december while waiting for os4-final back then ;)

still applies...

Edited by haymigga on 2006/12/9 23:11:01
Edited by haymigga on 2006/12/9 23:11:59
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@hayamiga

On aminet there is no more pre 0.6 version, I got to Author's website and found a 0.2 version that did not work either with the same error
We agree we are speaking about A1/OS4 and NTFS ?
If yes can you send me your version and mount file to see if it works for me ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I think XP uses NTFS by default these days. Certainly when I upgraded my wife's PC from W9 to XP, it expected to reformat the HD with NTFS.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@pixie:
Quote:

...what seems to happen is that they rely on TD64 which is not present on OS4.

All the disk drivers support 64-bit addressing, but I can't speak for CrossDOS.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
abalaban :

I just sent you an e-mail with my 68020 version (I believe i picked this up on AmiNet around august when there was multiple versions online there together with 0.5 version (also in mail))....

Yep, I talk about using a 150GB IDE disk that has NTFS only...but i've only managed to get NTFS 0.2 by Marcek to work when i hook up with USB first. If i connect directly, I haven't been able to set up right mountfile...

letme know if it works for ya...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all
I finally got Samba up and running last night, I can ping my 2 x PC, is there anyway to access the drives some NTFS and others FAT32 or does Samba still need to "mount" the drives.

ace

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello. I use SMBFS from Aminet to access both my g/f's and my hard drives over the LAN, both are NTFS, and work fine on my os3.9 miggy. I guess samba works by converting the filesytem into its own standard b4 broadcasting it over the network. The funny thing is I can access my c: drive faster with smbfs and my 1200 than I can with windows! (time to run Spybot/ad-aware...) Funnier thing, shortly after I got the 1200 set up to do this, I customized the icons it threw up on my desktop, and copied icons for some more commonly accessed folders on my girlfriends machine, only to hear "What the #%&*@!! is disk.info!?!?!?" coming from the other room about 5 minutes later. )

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
I think XP uses NTFS by default these days. Certainly when I upgraded my wife's PC from W9 to XP, it expected to reformat the HD with NTFS.

XP also limits formatting a Fat32 partition to 32gb, even though no such limit exists in Fat32 itself.
Partition magic will quite happily format in Fat32, partitions greater than 32gb.

It's just Microsoft trying to force you to use NTFS by default.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »