Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 104

flash, AndreasM, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Will we have to pay?
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
Hello to all!
I'd like to ask you something. When OS4 Final will be released, anyone of us who has the prereleases will have to pay for a copy, or are we gonna download an iso image from Hyperion's server.

I'm not asking because I do not intent to buy it, because I will, but will they make us to buy it?

Thanks for your time!!!

Go to top
Re: Will we have to pay?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
AFAIK we will only get an iso to download without buying it again - but only time will tell.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@walkero
i asumed it would be an iso download or for original cd would have to pay :)

Amiga is the heart and soul of computing nothing else comes close
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I would like it to be an .lha file as a sort of update.

Or i would gladly pay for a new CD like i did from
cd1 to cd2 that was released for the micro's.

A1G3-SE + OS4.1 u1 iso (x2)
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I would gladly pay for an original CD, but will still download the ISO if and when it is available.

TrevorDick

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Oh, a proper cd release with a well edited and printed manual and a box... Would pay good money for that!!!

MicroA1 - 800Mhz G3, 512MB
A1200 - 50Mhz 030, 16MB
CD32
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Good question.

Personally, I think we should have a couple of options.

We have already paid for the OS4 license so some people will rightfully refuse to pay any more. Those people can have an ISO to download and burn their own. For those without broadband I suppose Hyperion should offer a free CD via snail mail though.

There are also some people that would gladly pay some more for a nice OS4 final CD in a sleeve or similar. Maybe include a little special touch like you get with movie DVD special editions these days. I know I wouldn't mind paying some reasonable amount (e.g. $25 USD) for a fancy packaged OS4 final.

Printed manual? No thanks. I'll print it myself if I need it. For those that want one they can buy a printed manual in my opinion.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I'd buy a CD for ?20 quid.
Printed manual? Nah, put it on a PDF

Rude!

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Ditto

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I`d quite happily swap my pre-release CD for a OS4 final CD.
Printed manual please. Don`t mind paying for that.

Both the UK A1 dealars are now defunct who`s gonna take care of the final CD
distribution and exchange if pre-release needs to be exchanged for a boxed final version ?

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Me too I have old manuals from my Amiga500, so I think its time for new printed manuals, for me it all depends on the packaging, I think over years I have used AmigaOS4 it?s worth the investment to get final CD, but only if it contains printed manuals.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I would happily pay for a nice package. I hope there will be a lowered price for us who took the early bird offer though (and all others who have already paid for AmigaOS 4 to be included with their AmigaOne).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
LiveForIt wrote:

Me too I have old manuals from my Amiga500, so I think its time for new printed manuals, for me it all depends on the packaging, I think over years I have used AmigaOS4 it?s worth the investment to get final CD, but only if it contains printed manuals.

Hey, hey, NutsAboutAmiga!!!!

While a printed manual is WAY COOL, if we want to only pay US $25, a BOOK costs about $25 by itself.

AND it would be a small print run.

It's really too bad, but they can't at this time request a 20,000 print run to get as low a rate as possible.

What I'd like to see is a DVD made with almost, if not all of OS4Depot on there (useful Aminet stuff?), hi-def no loss from jpeg pictures of EVERY AmigaNG motherboard available, and lines drawn to point out all the components and their chip codes and what the dip switches do, etc., etc., also a picture of all the coders, or at least something about them, if they're too shy. Some audio of them, if they're up to it. Even something from people of the past too.

HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE????

That'd be worth throwing down US$30. (Ouch, plus shipping.)

(Hear that ms? You may have $20 billion in the bank, but you could NEVER EVER do this. Sad! Hahahahahaha!!!! )

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@
Athiest

It could be done relativly easily using digital printing aka printing on demand which keeps prices down and is designed for small runs.

No need for lithos etc.

Many companies even offer direct to door services. So all hyperion have to do is submit the electronic version to the company.
And we order direct from the "print on demand" company.
It gets delivered to you door.
Hyperion gets a %age for every copy sold.

Win Win

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
This is a very good suggestion, Jurassicc. Some friends of mine have made very good experience with this since their theological publications are usually sold in smaller batches. They are very happy with the advent of print on demand.
For some of you who have never heard of this, I suggest to read this article that I find on the world wide web.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Or they could provide it in digital format on the CD and those that want to could print it out. Of course making the PDF A4 scale would help here then all you need to do is get one of those folders with the plastic envelopes, print it out and bam! one manual.

I remember those programming books that came with the C64, something like that also could be cool. I think those books, more than anything else, gave rise to the bedroom coder.

It's NEVER easy...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
First I would download the ISO and burn to CD, so that I can use OS4.0 final straight away, then pay for and request an official package. (Manuals too please)
I still have all the manuals for all my computers, except the Ohio Superboard II.
The Sinclair QL "File" was lovely to use.

The Only way to code is with paper manuals next to the computer plus a blank A4 notepad.

Cheers,
Tim

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Here's another vote for a printed manual. When I'm travelling on the train I like a little read and a manual is just the thing. Besides, a manual is more comfortable than a laptop in bed.

[edit] I'm prepared to order and pay for it, though! [/edit]

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Quote:
LiveForIt wrote:

Hey, hey, NutsAboutAmiga!!!!

While a printed manual is WAY COOL, if we want to only pay US $25, a BOOK costs about $25 by itself.

Yeah, I agree it would be expensive. But I would really like to see something in the likes of "Das Buch" for OS3.9 that Haage & Partner made...

I would buy that...

MicroA1 - 800Mhz G3, 512MB
A1200 - 50Mhz 030, 16MB
CD32
Go to top

Register To Post