Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: anybody excited about the possibilties of sam
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Indeed. It will make a good building block (foundation) for the curious to get onboard.

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Hi EveryOne!!!!!
Oh, I don't know, but certainly the word "FUN" comes to mind about this product!

Not just fun. I followed a link to their manufacturing World Wide Web site in Italy - it looks like a very professional outfit. I hope the announcements that the OS4 port is ready and the license from Amiga Inc all happen on the same day they announce shipping schedules.

Let's hope it's soon!

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@RomanceClip
Quote:
I hope the announcements that the OS4 port is ready and the license from Amiga Inc all happen on the same day they announce shipping schedules.

Personally, I'd rather they skipped any and all public announcements entirely and just ship the product. The "announcement" should be the product is now available for sale from our online store and is shipping immediately.

That said, the SAM440EP would make a fine Amiga computer. Not the most powerful in the world but with that FPGA and all those I/O options it should be a hacker's dream come true.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Amigame

Quote:
want to see new Amiga HW to get more people on board the AOS4 boat !
Personally I'm more interrested in a high-end board (Panda ?) to maybe "replace" my A1XE (Though I won't let that one go !...).

I'm with you here, sooner or later i'd too like to get a
newer board to replace my A1XE, but stating from the pictures
i've seen, Panda is a Micro board too, isn't it?

Picture of Panda by TroikaNG

Don't want to drag this thread off-topic, sorry

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
To be honest not really.

I have an 800MHz G4 Amiga One and by now would have expected any new Amiga hardware to be in the 1-3 GHz range and not running more slowly than what was recognised only as a developer board to get things going.

There seems to have been little progress and if anything a step backward.

But I guess any new hardware is better than none.

It will no doubt excite those that have bo OS4 hardware but I am not going rush out to replace my already faster A1 with one

Bill.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

BillE wrote:
To be honest not really.

I have an 800MHz G4 Amiga One and by now would have expected any new Amiga hardware to be in the 1-3 GHz range and not running more slowly than what was recognised only as a developer board to get things going.

There seems to have been little progress and if anything a step backward.

For me, the SAM440-Amiga offers things I have never imagined in my wildest dreams. I cannot envision how fast it must feel to run my current applications on this NG Amiga and browse the world wide web at high-speed.

Edited by ssolie on 2006/12/5 23:40:37
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Dirk-B

No problem.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@COBRA

Quote:

IIRC Max Tretene (Soft3) said their target price is something like 400? including OS4 which is not bad for a start.

Hmm Has the price changed lately?
Mr Tretene himself posted on AW that the price would
be 450? including OS4 but without VAT.

AW link

This will make the end price even higher than 550?, here
in Sweden anyway with 25% VAT.

Not that I have a problem with this price myself but I know
it will not make a huge success outside our community.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Although I think we really need something with a bit more bang, the expansion capabilities I find intriguing.

Would this fit in the Amiga Fantasy case?
What happened to that project?

@Athiest
good to see you happy and chirpy again :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'm not worried about Sam's lack of power, honestly. I know most everyone here wants to see a new Amiga running the latest and greatest, but I think it kind of misses the point by expecting that. AOS can run great on lower end hardware, and seeing a lower end board running it at full speed will go a long ways in pronouncing this fact...although not as much as running it on a PDA, but I digress. This board definitely would provide a good foundation for future hardware, with the added benefit of being a little more affordable for those of us who can't spend $1,000US+ on hobbyist hardware. Let it sit out there for a bit, and maybe the economies of scale will allow for more powerful hardware to come out at a reasonable price.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
IonMane wrote:

@Athiest

Hi IonMane!!!

Quote:
IonMane wrote:

Loooookkk at my (hnl_dk's, okay, okay Marko Hirv's (sp?)) avatar!!!

That is, I would say, THE BEST case I've EVER seen! Quite sexy too, with the curves. Very lady like.

I think that a most complete, and fast, and quiet (passive cooling), semi-portable (not quite laptop) system it COULD be!!!!!

"Keyboard" and mouse (and joystick) would be complete system.... How about that?

Remember playing M.U.L.E.? Heh!

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I personally always hated the integrated keyboard cases, although I do find the A1200 case to be the nicest of those I've seen. I'd much prefer something new though...maybe they could integrate the computer into the mouse? That's about the only peripheral that hasn't been done with yet. :D

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Sauron wrote:

I'd much prefer something new though...maybe they could integrate the computer into the mouse? That's about the only peripheral that hasn't been done with yet. :D

Hey there Sauron,

Oohhhh, that's just crazy talk!, ... however, eight unique directions (vert., hor., diags) on two mice = 64 "keys", almost enough to get something going. Mouse click (menu?) selects text case, making 26 movements for whole alphabet.

The Street Fighter II champs could go along with that!

P.S. A thought. I wonder if two mice could be used simultaneously on AOS4.0, just like that "paired coding" they had, with two programmers using a keyboard on same screen. (Or was that my imagination?)

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Although it may be , in some peoples eyes, a step backward form the A1. You can not buy A1s anymore.

We seriously need some hardware to run OS4 on, beacuse we are a bout ten years behind on the needed software appplications needed to make Amiga a viable platform, that could be used for everyday things, and we would no longed need our windows booxes....

To achieve this we need the hardware too run OS4, soo people can develop on it.

I wish to god hyperion would release OS4 for classic as I have the hardware to run it....

But I kinda of understand there reasosns

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

RomanceClip wrote:
It would be nice if one could buy an A600 style case for this.

Absolutely, somebody should make an official case!
This is the new hardware project I am most extied about so yes I am very excited about the possibilities it could offer :)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:
anybody excited about the possibilties of sam

well, we need first to see and feel it.
let them build the machines and let the users test it. then we can answer.

byebye...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Quote:
IonMane wrote:

@Athiest

Hi IonMane!!!

Quote:
IonMane wrote:

Loooookkk at my (hnl_dk's, okay, okay Marko Hirv's (sp?)) avatar!!!

That is, I would say, THE BEST case I've EVER seen! Quite sexy too, with the curves. Very lady like.

I think that a most complete, and fast, and quiet (passive cooling), semi-portable (not quite laptop) system it COULD be!!!!!

"Keyboard" and mouse (and joystick) would be complete system.... How about that?

Remember playing M.U.L.E.? Heh!

Oh yeah, I have long admired that avatar, and I agree with you about the system it could be.
I am amazed you remembered M.U.L.E.! Possibly the best game ever made. Crappy graphics, cheesy sound, but playability through the roof and just plain fun. Despite that cheesy sound, the theme music kinda got stuck in your brain.
If they ever made a joystick version of the cd32 or A500, this would have to be on it.

I was always impressed how much expandability was provided by third party manufacturers for the various amiga classics. This expansion set of the SAM reminds me of that and I look forward to seeing the options for it people like Elbox may come up with....especially in that sexy case.

So, does anyone know what happened to that project?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I think the low power of the Sam could be a good thing. It will encourage or even force people to optimise their code a lot more and keep it nice a tight.

Edited by neon32 on 2006/12/6 16:18:26
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Sure, the Sam isn't top-of-the-line HW, but at least it will offer AOS4 to more people. More users = more HW = more software!

Since I don't own a A1 i'm just looking for any HW capable of running OS4!

(Let's just hope the board will be shipped at a relatively low price, that would surely make the community broader as not only the die hard amiga-fans would buy it!)

//Jimmy
A600|A600T|A1200|A1200T|A4000|CDTV|CD32
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Frankly I wont be even remotely excited until we have decent hardware that has been licensed so OS4 can legally be run on it. As things are and with Amiga, Incs track record I can't see it happening.

Considering everything I am more than a little worried that OS4 will be without hardware as Amiga, Inc frankly seems totally disconnected from not only the OS4 community but the wider "Amiga" community as a whole, regardless of what Wayne tried to get going over at Amiga.org (much praise is due to Wayne for getting what he did get out of Bill McEwen though.)

Without confimation of a (rough) future development roadmap for the OS and no hardware apparently being seriously considered for licensing by Amiga, Inc, I am beginning to wonder what the point of a final release of OS4 is at all.

All the credit for OS4 has to go to Hyperion and their developers and to Alan Redhouse for being mad enough to even try to get a new hardware platform out in the first place, even if the A1s were less than acceptable to many.

Our only hope is that Amiga OS 4.x or any future version may be available on impressive enough hardware and give an "Amiga" enough like experience (ie easy to use, gives you the power to create etc etc).

The SAM will never interest users who arent already Amiga users, it will however provide a replaceemnt development platform following the death of the A1s and a posible integratable hardware platform for industrial or non-general computing device use, and I am afraid I can't really get excited about that.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »