Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Recover SFS partition !
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi all,
I am using SFS 1.267 on a partition called docs: where I store scans of old magazines, on a 80Gb HD.
The partition was 8 Go but was nearly full so I created a new one at the end of the HD called "documents".

after save and reboot, I got 2 uninitialized partitions (docs and documents).
I thought that if I delete and recreate the docs partition, I should have everything back in place but no :(

after sfsformat, I have now a totally empty partition even sfssalv sees nothing in fast and deep mode...

are my scans lost forever ? why 2 partitions sharing some caracters would become uninitialized ?

Go to top
Re: Recover SFS partition !
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Lio

Quote:

Lio wrote:
Hi all,
I am using SFS 1.267 on a partition called docs: where I store scans of old magazines, on a 80Gb HD.
The partition was 8 Go but was nearly full so I created a new one at the end of the HD called "documents".

The most likely reason is that you accidentially moved, changed the size or some other settings of docs. Especially moving partitions by accident happens very easy, if you click on a partition and move the mouse a little bit while still holding the left mouse button the partition is moved
But HDToolBox should have warned you that the contents of the docs partition are lost in such a case.

Quote:
I thought that if I delete and recreate the docs partition, I should have everything back in place but no :(
Recreating it with exactely the same settings (lowcyl, highcyl, blocksize, dostype, etc.) should have worked.

Quote:
after sfsformat, I have now a totally empty partition even sfssalv sees nothing in fast and deep mode...

are my scans lost forever ?
After formatting it, especially if it didn't have the same settings anymore, there is probably not much left, if anything, which can be recovered.

Quote:
why 2 partitions sharing some caracters would become uninitialized ?
Of course that shouldn't happen.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

joerg wrote:
@Lio

Quote:

Lio wrote:
Hi all,

Quote:
The most likely reason is that you accidentially moved, changed the size or some other settings of docs. Especially moving partitions by accident happens very easy, if you click on a partition and move the mouse a little bit while still holding the left mouse button the partition is moved
But HDToolBox should have warned you that the contents of the docs partition are lost in such a case.

I am quite sure I did not change the docs partition because it is in between 2 others existing partitions and moving was unlikely as well.

Quote:

[quote ] Recreating it with exactely the same settings (lowcyl, highcyl, blocksize, dostype, etc.) should have worked.

because it was in between 2 existing partitions, recreating it was easy, just with "add new partition" but as I said the partition appeared completely empty...

Quote:

are my scans lost forever ?
After formatting it, especially if it didn't have the same settings anymore, there is probably not much left, if anything, which can be recovered.

Quote:
why 2 partitions sharing some caracters would become uninitialized ?
Of course that shouldn't happen.[/quote]

sure, maybe I should investigate this way...

thanks for (trying to) help.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Lio

Quote:

Lio wrote:
@joerg

Quote:
Recreating it with exactely the same settings (lowcyl, highcyl, blocksize, dostype, etc.) should have worked.

because it was in between 2 existing partitions, recreating it was easy, just with "add new partition" but as I said the partition appeared completely empty...
That way you can only be sure sure the low- and high-cylinder numbers are correct, but the rest of it (DOSType, BlockSize, Reserved, etc.) could still have been wrong. There are tools which can seach partitions on the HD and will display the corrct values for the partitions, but since you have formatted it they can only find the new, and probably wrong, values now and don't help anymore.

Go to top

Register To Post