Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
85 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 85

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
SmartFileSystem 1.274
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I've uploaded a new version of SFS which includes a new format supporting large files, for example you can burn complete DVDs (4.3 GB) with AmiDVD using a partition with DOSType 'SFS\2'.

If you still have partitions using the old, non-working SFS 2.x make a current backup and remove SmartFileSystem2 from your kicklayout before installing SFS 1.274, it's 'SFS\2' format is not compatible to the one used in the old SFS 2.x versions.

Go to top
Re: SmartFileSystem 1.274
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Does the current 'limitation' in partition width still apply? I have 2 1TB HDDs and 20 or so partitions...

Bye,
TMTisFree

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." (Napol?on Bonaparte)
"I would love to change the world, but they won?t give me the source code." (Unknown)
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TMTisFree

Quote:
Does the current 'limitation' in partition width still apply? I have 2 1TB HDDs and 20 or so partitions...
The limit for 'SFS\2' partitons is 1 TB.
Or even more if you don't use 512 bytes/block, for example with 32 KB/block partitions of up to 64 TB should be possible. But I didn't test if that actually works

But even if it works you shouldn't create such large partitions, SFSDDefrag and when 'SFS\2' support is added tools like SFSCheck, PartitionWizard, etc. need several 100 MB RAM to work on a 1 TB partition ...
Creating or restoring a backup of a 1 TB partition very likely takes a few days, even nearly one day if you have identical partitions on 2 HDs and use something like diskcopy for a mirror backup/restore instead of copying the individual files.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
The limit for 'SFS\2' partitons is 1 TB.

Ah, cool, I will switch back to my previous (update4) setup then.

Quote:
Or even more if you don't use 512 bytes/block, for example with 32 KB/block partitions of up to 64 TB should be possible. But I didn't test if that actually works

Of course !

Quote:
But even if it works you shouldn't create such large partitions, SFSDDefrag and when 'SFS\2' support is added tools like SFSCheck, PartitionWizard, etc. need several 100 MB RAM to work on a 1 TB partition ...

I have 2 GB of RAM...

Quote:
Creating or restoring a backup of a 1 TB partition very likely takes a few days, even nearly one day if you have identical partitions on 2 HDs and use something like diskcopy for a mirror backup/restore instead of copying the individual files.

Yes, I know. I wrote some ARexx scripts to use MirrorCopy to replicate the partitions in differential backup. I setup it to work by night once a week, so it doesn't bother me.

An other pb: I have a HDD that is not recognized anymore in either system I tested it (A1/UBoot, PC/BIOS). It contains 2 old SFS/2 partitions. I would like to recover the data by a specialized firm. Is it possible to recover the data? If yes, on which form?

Thanks for your work on SFS.

Edit: grammar

Bye,
TMTisFree

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." (Napol?on Bonaparte)
"I would love to change the world, but they won?t give me the source code." (Unknown)
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Thanks for your continued support.

So I guess this means you have merged SFS and SFS2 into
one file system now? I mean with only changing the type
to switch from small to large file support.

Is the large file support still to be considered exprimental
and prone to changes or is it safe to format the partions with
the new type?

Best Regards,

Harry

[SOLD] ?A1-C, 512MB, Antec Aria
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TMTisFree

Be wary of your 2 GB RAM. Although it may seem to be fault-free, I would be very surprised if it did not have errors that are not detected in normal use, but only show up with large files in RAM.

So you might find that files that are copied into RAM and back to disk end up with corruptions.

Yes, I know that your RAM has "never shown a problem" etc, etc, but I don't believe that there are any A1s that work faultlessly with 2 DIMMs in place. I can always be proved wrong, of course, and PowerAmiga will argue, but don't trust it.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

Quote:

tonyw wrote:
@TMTisFree

Be wary of your 2 GB RAM. Although it may seem to be fault-free, I would be very surprised if it did not have errors that are not detected in normal use, but only show up with large files in RAM.

So you might find that files that are copied into RAM and back to disk end up with corruptions.

Yes, I know that your RAM has "never shown a problem" etc, etc, but I don't believe that there are any A1s that work faultlessly with 2 DIMMs in place. I can always be proved wrong, of course, and PowerAmiga will argue, but don't trust it.

Hmm. I never said that my RAM have no pb or bla-bla of this type. I do not know if the 2 modules are fault-free,or not as memtester reports inconsistent results according to the slot(s) or the RAM module(s) used. But in real use (testing OS4 final atm), I did not notice troubles.
Soon I will test these modules in an old PC to see if they are really fault-free or not.

Is that ok for you?

Bye,
TMTisFree

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TMTisFree

I think, he means, that a1 chipset is unable to handle two sticks correctly.

so you can test in with join couple of big files together and then copy it to ram and again to disk. To be sure make that couple of times (allways delete earlier copy from ram) and then check result to compare original to copied with md5 sum.

I'm intrested in about results allso.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mlehto

Quote:

Mlehto wrote:
@TMTisFree

I think, he means, that a1 chipset is unable to handle two sticks correctly.

I understand technical discussion.
I just don't like his 'tone' toward me.

Quote:

so you can test in with join couple of big files together and then copy it to ram and again to disk. To be sure make that couple of times (allways delete earlier copy from ram) and then check result to compare original to copied with md5 sum.

I'm intrested in about results allso.

Will do that soon.
I have an old Abit motherboard here that needs work (weak battery, VIA686 USB not functionnal, etc) in which I will test the memory modules. I will post results here.

Bye,
TMTisFree

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TMTisFreeerm ... i guess you didn't take it.

The problem are not the ram sticks, but the use of them in an AmigaOne.

Perform the test over your AmigaOne

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TMTisFree

Perhaps because English is not my mother tongue, I cannot see any "tone" in his posting towards you, he's only advicing against taking any pair of mem sticks (i.e., used in pairs in an A1) as reliable without heavy testings first.

It's not that the sticks are faulty, so there's no real need to check them on another machine -unless you really suspect of a hard failure-, but that the A1 is quite unreliable when using them in pairs, it's related to timing, IIRC.

I myself am using 2 x 512MB sticks, and they have not passed memtester fully, at some stage it reports some fault, so better take tonyw and mlehto advice for good and check sticks in place, copying large files to ram: and checking their integrity with md5sum against original files, as I did.

Saluditos,

Ferr?n.

Amiga user since 1988
AOS4 Betatester
Member of ATO Spain
A1 Cfg
OS4 SCR
A1200
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TMTisFree

Quote:
An other pb: I have a HDD that is not recognized anymore in either system I tested it (A1/UBoot, PC/BIOS). It contains 2 old SFS/2 partitions. I would like to recover the data by a specialized firm. Is it possible to recover the data? If yes, on which form?
It depends on what is defect, if it's an electronic or mechanical defect they usually just take the discs from the non-working HD and build them into another, identical HD with working electronics and mechanics. If that's not possible, either because they can't get an identical HD, often even the firmware version has to be the same, or because the discs have errors due to head crashes, etc. the only thing they can do with file systems they don't know is to copy as much of the data they can recover to another HD, either the sectors directly or they put the data from the broken HD in one file on a NTFS, ext2fs, or whatever common file system with large file support you want, partition.
If the discs themself had too serious errors, they can't recover all data and therefore using SmartFileSystem2 itself doesn't work to access the data I could build a special SmartFileSystem2 version of SFSSalv or PartitionWizard for you.
If they know the file system(s) which was/were used on the broken HD you get a new HD with the same partitions and individual files instead, but even if there are companies which offer such a service for custom file systems as well the fee would be huge, not "just" the usual hundreds or thousends US$ (depending on the size of the HD), especially for a file system they'll never have to deal with again and for which they would have to write special recovery software only for a single HD.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Ferry

Quote:

Ferry wrote:
@TMTisFree

Perhaps because English is not my mother tongue, I cannot see any "tone" in his posting towards you, he's only advicing against taking any pair of mem sticks (i.e., used in pairs in an A1) as reliable without heavy testings first.

English is also not my native language, so if I have not understood fully what he was trying to write, I'm sorry.

Quote:
It's not that the sticks are faulty, so there's no real need to check them on another machine -unless you really suspect of a hard failure-, but that the A1 is quite unreliable when using them in pairs, it's related to timing, IIRC.

I myself am using 2 x 512MB sticks, and they have not passed memtester fully, at some stage it reports some fault, so better take tonyw and mlehto advice for good and check sticks in place, copying large files to ram: and checking their integrity with md5sum against original files, as I did.

Saluditos,

Ferr?n.

As I said above, I know there are pb with two sticks inserted because memtester reports faults, but no error with either module alone. But I would like to fully test the modules with a bootable CD on a PC, but the one I currently work on has only DDR slots. Will check the Win98 PCs of my sons tomorrow.

Thanks for your advices.

Bye,
TMTisFree

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TMTisFree

Quote:
As I said above, I know there are pb with two sticks inserted because memtester reports faults, but no error with either module alone. But I would like to fully test the modules with a bootable CD on a PC, but the one I currently work on has only DDR slots. Will check the Win98 PCs of my sons tomorrow.
Testing the modules in a PC doesn't help if they pass memtester in the AmigaOne when used alone. The modules are not defect and will work, alone as well as both together, in the PC without any problems.
But that doesn't mean they work together in an AmigaOne as well, if memtester reports errors they don't.

(Make sure to use the current version of memtester, IIRC there were old versions of memtester which reported errors even if there were none becasue they overwrote wrong memory themself ...)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Yes I know, but tests in AmigaOne /OS4 are only partial
because some memory is alrealy used/locked and cannot be
tested with memtester. With a bootable CD, the 2 modules
will be tested in the full range.

Ahh, thanks for this info, my version is completly
outdated (04/2005).

Btw what is JXFS v4.19? :)

Bye,
TMTisFree

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TMTisFree

I have tested one module alone last night and it reports full of errors. Will test it in the other slot.

Bye,
TMTisFree

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TMTisFree

Sorry if I seemed to be criticising you.

I was trying to warn you that there may be errors that you can't detect when two sticks are used. Those errors (if they occur) might cause file corruptions that could spoil your data on disk without your knowing about it.

I don't know of any memory test process that we can rely on.

BTW, what sort of 1GB DIMMs do you have?

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

Quote:

tonyw wrote:
@TMTisFree

Sorry if I seemed to be criticising you.

OK.

Quote:

I was trying to warn you that there may be errors that you can't detect when two sticks are used. Those errors (if they occur) might cause file corruptions that could spoil your data on disk without your knowing about it.

Suppose I want to download from WWW a 1GB file to disk or copy this file from disk to disk; will it be corrupted without any doubt?

Quote:

I don't know of any memory test process that we can rely on.

Do you suggest that memtester is not reliable for these tests?

Quote:

BTW, what sort of 1GB DIMMs do you have?

The exact ref. is Crucial CT128M72S4R75.36FDY (1GB 168-PIN DIMM 128MX72 SDRAM REG PC133 FBGA Pb-FREE)

Bye,
TMTisFree

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Ahh, thank you for your reply, miss it before.

Quote:

joerg wrote:
It depends on what is defect, if it's an electronic or mechanical defect they usually just take the discs from the non-working HD and build them into another, identical HD with working electronics and mechanics. If that's not possible, either because they can't get an identical HD, often even the firmware version has to be the same, or because the discs have errors due to head crashes, etc. the only thing they can do with file systems they don't know is to copy as much of the data they can recover to another HD, either the sectors directly or they put the data from the broken HD in one file on a NTFS, ext2fs, or whatever common file system with large file support you want, partition.

The pb is probably electronical (due to overheat) because the disk is not recognized anymore by either UBoot or PC BIOS. I suspect the disks inside are OK so I sent the dead disk yesterday together with a good one (exact same model) for data cloning.
If cloning does not work for whatever reason, how they could recover data without knowing technical details about how the filesystem works?

Quote:

If the discs themself had too serious errors, they can't recover all data and therefore using SmartFileSystem2 itself doesn't work to access the data I could build a special SmartFileSystem2 version of SFSSalv or PartitionWizard for you.

Thanks for the offer, but as I say before the HDD is not displayed in UBoot/BIOS. If they are able to clone the data, I will try to recover the data from the old SFS/2 with the copy of the OS4/Update4 I keep for that matter. I have not completely switched to OS4 final (I just see there is an update, I'm late).

Quote:

If they know the file system(s) which was/were used on the broken HD you get a new HD with the same partitions and individual files instead, but even if there are companies which offer such a service for custom file systems as well the fee would be huge, not "just" the usual hundreds or thousends US$ (depending on the size of the HD), especially for a file system they'll never have to deal with again and for which they would have to write special recovery software only for a single HD.

Their quote is actually 590-890?. I'm waiting for the final quoting if the data are really recoverable.

Anyway, many thanks for your usefull post.

Bye,
TMTisFree

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg
I just saw you released the new 1.275 version!
One question: why did you switch back from MUTEX to Forbid?

Thanks

Bye

Richi

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »