Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 31 »
Re: ScummVM and AmigaOS4.1 F.E.
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
When children and wife sleep, i have about 5 hours of non-stop-no-one-bother-time. Another side that on next day i can sleep permanently for 20 minutes from time to time, but love this feeling, so good for everyone :)

So, good news! No, didn't fix shaders at the moment, but that is for later. For the first: gl4es build works, and bring for us a bit of improvement. Maybe not _THAT_ big as I may hope, but still. What is done currently is just disables shaders support but keeps all other "new" functionality from GL4ES/Ogles2/W3DNova.

For tests, I use yesterday's daily MiniGL binary + my GL4ES binary.

Results:

Myst3: faster, no more missing mouse in the menu, no more black stripes when watching at the sky, no more visuall mess when switching between scenes. That game really improves much on all fronts.

Grim Fandango: for MiniGL we have 15 FPS right at the beginning of the level. For the GL4ES build, we have 37-39 FPS at the same place. So Grim is more than 2 times faster (if the FPS counter is the correct one at all because the MiniGL version visually works fine enough too)

Escape From The Monkey Island: Almost no differences. With MiniGL almost 10 FPS, with GL4ES almost 12-13. A little bit better, but I see that CPU loading going to 99%, so... not much. But still playable in general.

The Longest Journey: no more crashes as in the case with MiniGL, works now. Through, while intros, menus, movies are all fast, the game itself is still not good enough to be playable. Pretty slow, I think 5-7 FPS no more. Better of course in comparison with software rendering, but still far from being good.

See on 2 videos how it all looks like:

MiniGL: https://youtu.be/ndhmxNXlLH4

GL4ES: https://youtu.be/KiDJ3ox51lU

So GL4ES build make it all be better, yes. But not that much as I was hoping for. Still not bad IMHO. The next stage will be fixing of shaders, to see how it will be with them and if there will be any different. After that, i may try a pure OGLES2 build, without GL4ES at all. But first, need to deal with shaders.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Just out of curiosity...would a OGLES2 build also make use of the NEW driver features?

I thought gl4es was especially done to provide that since there was no other way.

Great progress.

Please make sure that your changes can be merged into the original source tree, so we don't lose them.

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel
OGLES2 build will only eliminate the GL4ES layer, adding a bit of speed maybe. Also, maybe code written in ScummVM for exactly OpenGLES2 is better than OpenGL code which we use now via GL4ES.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel
I think i found a bug in the Myst3 that happens to be on big-endian (at least minigl and gl4es build on amigaos4): when you switch between scenes, there should be a tasty effect when one scene change another one. But on our side, we don't have that effect, instead of on minigl we have "mess" on a second when switching scenes, and on gl4es a white screen for the same second. I tested the same version of the same scummvm on win32, and it is fine.

I also tested on win32 Grim, Monkey, and Journey, they all really fast. Grim gives 320 FPS, monkey gives 500 FPS, and the journey is also very playable. Interesting that on our side, Grim give 3-4 times more than Monkey, and the difference is just too big to be explained by drivers or something of that sort. It seems something else is involved in scummvm code that handles those games.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Please report your findings to the scummvm bug tracker.

Nice progress...wish i could help more...but I'm stomped after work

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel
Created about Myst3:

https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/13169

Through can't find it in the list of active tickets but I probably don't understand from start their way of showing active tickets. Or maybe they moderated before.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

The default view is kinda strange, yes.
If you sort the default list by "created date" it will show up on first position, see here: https://bugs.scummvm.org/report/1?sort=created

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel
Right thanks.

Btw is "Full pipe" working on our side now? I remember it crashes just on the loading stage some time ago.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Yes, the Big Endian bugs were fixed.
It runs, playable, error free, but slow

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Actually, if you want to shift focus from 3D for some time you could take a look at AGS games.
95% of them load to a black screen and simply don't work.

Just search for raziel- on the scummvm tracker...

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel
interesting that full pipe only loads up CPU on ~75% so this slowness comes from something else and not CPU power. Will check gl4es build

EDiT: gl4es build didn't make it be much faster. Maybe intro a bit but the gameplay seems still the same.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel
Btw is there a reason why we didn't have renderers in scummvm Compositing one? Only software and OpenGL.

And there seems a little issue in the launcher: words "Game 3D renderer" instead of written as "Game 3...renderer":

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel

Also created a topic on scummvm forum about "why grim/monkey/journey is THAT SLOW": https://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=16466

And I also as on morphos forum to check them too n terms of speed so we will see what and where problem s.

Will try to build ScummVM on PPC Linux on my x5000 to see how those games will react here. That can make us a better understanding of the problem.

Because having on win32 500 FPS and on os4 10FPS ts unpossible even wth absolutely bad everything. Something wrong somewhere .. Le maybe disabled optimization or dunno additional debug somewhere or so.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e
@raziel

Thank you guys so much for all the time and effort you put into making this possible!

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 550 / ATI X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS 4.1 FE / Linux / MorphOS
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the NET
Vampire V4SE TrioBoot
RPI4 AmiKit XE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel
Oh! it turns out that indeed optimization was disabled by default! Now I add --disable-debug --enable-release and now GL4ES / OGLES2 / Warp3Dnova show their omiga1200 power!

I assume you build the 2.5.0 release without debugging and with release mode enabled right?

if so then the difference there is VERY BiG now. See:

Your 2.5.0 MiniGL build wth OpenGL renders:

Grim Fandango: 15 FPS.
Escape from Monkey Island: in your build not compiled but compiled in daily ones but they debug ones (correct?)
The Longest Journey: CRASH on daily build and "desired OpenGL renderer not found" on your 2.5.0 release one.

Software renders:

Grim Fandango: 50FPS at start 20-30 FPS when play + glitches.
Escape from Monkey Island: in your build not compiled but compiled in daily ones but they debug ones (correct?)
The Longest Journey: with your build can't start.

And now GL4ES build.

All works in OpenGL mode fine - all games. Speed for OpenGL renderer (without shaders for now):

Monkey: 75 FPS
Grim: 50 FPS
The Longest Journey: all fast!

See the video:

https://youtu.be/8N3Ecw88cCY

Even damn Full Pipe fast! But as I can see in software mode with enabled optimization it is also fast enough now.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Wrt compositing

Iirc I tried, with the help of capehill, to set composting back in the day, but the speed difference was non-existent and I couldn't figure out a way to check if it was even used.

Yes, all release builds are non-debug builds

Holy moly, awesome progress.

Thank you very much

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel
Some more progress: i build fully ogles2 only build of scummvm (i.e. OpenGL ES 2 + shaders no pure OpenGL involved no minigl or gl4es just pure ogles2.library+w3dnova).

Now when i run any game (launcher wors) i have errors from the shaders coming with games :) For example from engine/myst3/shaders/ They (at least for now) fail only because "boolean uniforms aren't supported yet" which is easy to fix.

So will try to fix shaders and will see how it.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Thank you guys for the continuous and hard work!

Good to see encouraging results for the 3D games supported by ScummVM.

If we had to focus on a reduced subset of games and technologies, depending on results:

- if performance with MiniGL is low, and knowing that it won't support Longest Journey, it may be better to work on GL4ES support (or OGLES2)

- I know that not all games work well so, among these games, I think it is would be good to get one working well, and then another one ... Grim Fandango would be great first, then Escape From Monkey Island, and finally Myst 3 or Longest Journey (I would prefer this one personally).

Count on me to test (I own the 4 games) and maybe to try fixing things.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Corto
With enabled optimization, GL4ES build of scummvm give very good FPS for all games already.

Grim - 50FPS
Money - 70FPS

Myst3 also works fine but have one bug:

https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/13169

We find out that this bug happens also on MorphOS and their drivers too. But on both amigaos4 and morphos we have no issues with software rendering.

That means that only OpenGL based part of Myst3 is not properly big-endan aware. And there is that code for Myst3:

https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/tree/master/engines/myst3

Files in question probably are:

https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blo ... engines/myst3/effects.cpp
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blo ... ines/myst3/gfx_opengl.cpp
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blo ... t3/gfx_opengl_texture.cpp

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e
Thanks for the feedback and this summary. Very good!

Note that I also have setups to build and test on Linux PPC if necessary.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 31 »