Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

Rob, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Web browser in 2021?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Primax
@Raziel

This post done using IBrowse 2.5.5 ...

I still have Timberwolf 4.0.1 (Release Candidate 3) on my MicroA1 for nostalgia. I rarely use it, because it is very annoying.

Today, I used Timberwolf several times to access Amiga websites, Amiga.org, Amigaworld.net and Amigans.net.

Amiga.org seems to work ok most of the time.

Amigaworld.net ...
I get secure connection failed messages, saying
www.amigaworld.net:443 uses an invalid security certificate.

But eventually, it settles down.

Amigans.net ...
The connection was interrupted message.
The connection to www.amigans.net was interrupted while the page was loading.

When quitting Timberwolf, I usually get a DSI error and a message saying that the parent process croaked before it closed the associated child processes.

Anyways, I have other web browsers that I use more often.

---
redfox

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
hmmmm, thanks!

Do you still know how exactly you installed Timberwolf....? Any special 'move'...?

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 550 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition / MorphOS 3.17
Amiga1200 / Blizzard 1230 IV PiStorm32-lite / AmigaOS 3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Primax

I installed Timberwolf RC3 so long ago that I don't remember if there was any special trick to make it work.

VERY IMPORTANT: Read the included Readme file, it contains vital information about how to run Timberwolf.

Over the years, I have installed some beta versions, RC1, RC2 and RC3. I seem to recall simply downloading each new version and installing it in its own drawer to test then deleting or archiving the previous version.

There are some files that should be copied over to the new version, user configs and bookmarks.

Timberwolf uses alot of memory and requires the "random" device for some functions. Can't remember if it requires special fonts.

For many years, I had the "random" device disabled because it caused instability on my system. This prevented me from saving bookmarks in Timberwolf.

"Random" device seems to work ok now on AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 (fingers crossed hoping I didn't jinx myself by saying so).

BTW, Timberwolf does not like JXFS partitions, but is ok with FFS2 and SFS2 partitions.

---
redfox

Edited by redfox on 2021/9/5 17:08:26
Edited by redfox on 2021/9/5 17:14:57
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Primax

Sorry, please forgive my previous comment...

Reading some comments on OS4depot joggled my memory.

One of the earlier releases of Timberwolf contained everything needed to make it run. Some of the updates did not contain a complete release of all the required files and directories. As a result, we had to copy the new files into the old drawer to overwrite the old files that needed updating. Each time I updated Timberwolf, I kept a complete backup of my previous version to fall back on if the update failed.

I suspect you have somehow lost some of the files or directory structure that are required by Timberwolf.

As per comments on OS4depot ... there is a "fix".

If anyone has problems to Start Timberwolf just Download the older Version from Aminet and overwrite these Files with the Files from the newer version from OS4 Depot Archive!

This is from 2019, and I have not tested this theory. Assuming they are the correct distributions it should work. In theory, the older version on Aminet would setup the required directory structure and files, and the update on OS4depot would update the Timberwolf program and some related files.

---
redfox

Edited by redfox on 2021/9/5 20:08:08
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@redfox
Thanks for your explanation.
But this is how I exactly installed it once: First downloaded the archive from Aminet and later copy all files from the OS4Depot version.
This it how it worked. And suddenly no longer.
Odd!

And since I did the recommended font cache procedure, I can enter words in the search field but nothing happens...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi all,

I think we have bear in mind, Timberwolf were just progress builds...
Beta releases.

I found that it could be made to run most reliably by making it start from
scratch every time. Somehow it seemed to collect bad ju ju as it ran. To
that end, I added these line to the beginning of its "Timberworlf" startup
script:

-------------------
if exists CurrentUserProfile NOREQ
delete CurrentUserProfile/#? all force
endif
-------------------

But in the end, TW just stopped working on most sites. I suspect that's
likely due to its decades old SSL code.

For as great an HTML 4 browser as IBrowse is, the lack of a more modern
browser is dire threat to the modern Amiga world.

At least those with the money are now working on new clocks, docks
and replacement C: commands. Brilliant!

Thanks,

PJS

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)