Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
74 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 71

flash, sailor, salass00, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Promote projects for donations
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
The last weeks I am thinking if it makes sense and how we could promote projects (websites/applications/general causes) in amigans.net, that deserve people to help with donations/hardware etc.. I mean, there are people that would like to get donated something from the community, and we don't even know that, i.e. I believe that a lot of people do not know how to donate to Aminet.net, who do not mention anything at their website, but just in their wiki (http://wiki.aminet.net/index.php/Donate_to_Aminet).

I would like to ask you guys for ideas how we could present projects that deserve donations and how would that be accessible to everyone? Maybe a Donation page would be enough. Or a block at one of the sides of the page, that shows randomly a project out of a specific list, and a way to see them all.

Or even, if we wanna make it more interesting, a new forum section where we discuss and vote for the project we would like to donate to next month.

I don't know. Feel free to shoot some ideas.

My goal is to help people find projects to donate to, if they want.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Re: Promote projects for donations
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@walkero

Curiously enough I have had some similar thoughts during the last weeks. However, in a more common way. I think if we establish a seperate website or something like that then it should be open for at least AmigaOS4 and MorphOS because for both OS a proper/active bounty wesbite is missing.

I was thinking about the 'how' as e.g. I want to have the FreeRDP client (https://www.freerdp.com) ported to both OS.
Of course itcould be that the few developers do not have time to accept such offers or, when they have time, then better push their own projects further...
But who knows it? Maybe sometimes projects are not such heavy as expected and a developer would be grateful to earn a little extra money...?!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Isn't that what they tried to do at http://openamiga.org/ and also apparently here https://www.bountysource.com/issues/30 ... inherited-from-webkit-x86

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@NinjaCyborg
If you answer to me, that's not my intention, to create a new bounty website. What I am asking is how we can promote to people the next projects they should donate to, in a way that would help the people behind those projects.

Follow me on
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@NinjaCyborg

Quote:

Isn't that what they tried to do at http://openamiga.org/

No but that is a stubborn common misconception.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
At least the last news entry there is dated from 4 September 2016...So not much activities...

@walkero
Is there a big difference between your any my approach?
A bounty website - or something like that - do not have to be a one-way road. Users can request for posible developers for a project but of course developers / developer teams also can ask for help or financial support from the users / community.

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 550 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition / MorphOS 3.17
Amiga1200 / Blizzard 1230 IV PiStorm32-lite / AmigaOS 3.9
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@Primax
Possible, I didn't make myself clear, and I am sorry about that.

I am thinking on how we can promote projects through amigans.net, by placing the necessary information inside our website. People will not be able to request for donations, or ask for help though that implementation.

For example, aminet.net has the donation information at their site, so how we can let the users know about it?

But of course, I am open for other ideas as well. But I am not talking to create one more bounty website.

Follow me on
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

But I am not talking to create one more bounty website.

Which of course would be absolutely unnecessary if we had one. But we have not...

Quote:

For example, aminet.net has the donation information at their site, so how we can let the users know about it?

Don't you think that the administrators of the Aminet would promote their request for financial support a little bit more prominently if it was that necessary..?
Otherwise in my opinion for your idea a new, corresponding thread would be fine, wouldn't be?

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 550 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition / MorphOS 3.17
Amiga1200 / Blizzard 1230 IV PiStorm32-lite / AmigaOS 3.9
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@walkero

I remember something similar some years ago, but don't rememeber if it was here or another website. Something like the Developer of the Month was shown on the top left or right of the page and during that time users could click the donate button.

Maybe something like that, with a link to the donate button of the developer/group/whatever, and some info about past and current projects she/he is working on now?

PowerBook 5.2 MorphOS 3.15
PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.17
Amiga 1200 BPPC/BVision AOS4.1 FE
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
There used to be something we called "Featured donations" on Amigans.net way back in the day.

We ended up dropping the feature though since there was no one volunteering to keep it maintained.

https://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum ... 808&forum=5&post_id=21788

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin

Yes, that's the one.

PowerBook 5.2 MorphOS 3.15
PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.17
Amiga 1200 BPPC/BVision AOS4.1 FE
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin

Thanks for linking the old conversation - made my donation for AmiCygnix :)

And in general - good idea, for example I've completely missed the AmiCygnix support from my side.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@walkero

What about extending OS4coding.net with developer profiles, in which devs could introduce themselves and their projects? Each profile could have a Donate button so that users could support devs or projects that are, in their opinion, worth supporting.

Two advantages: 1) OS4coding already exists, so you don't have to set up a new website. And 2), the name has no "Amiga" in it so it is safe from our dear trademark vultures and permanent suers.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@trixie

He's asking for ideas on how amigans.net can help promoting donations to developers.

As in, enticing amigans.net visitors to make donations whilst visiting amigans.net.

Edit: No idea why this originally replied to the wrong person.

Edited by orgin on 2021/7/30 23:55:33

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@trixie

Only developers go that site (OS4coding.net), so does not make sense, better place is OS4Depot.net.
Upcoming projects, working progress, and donate buttons on existing software if developer wonts it.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt

Fair enough.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@LiveForIt

If on OS4Depot I'd probably prefer a "Donate Here" link that the uploader can provide rather than the actual HTML for a donation button. The HTML that you get for paypal at least is a bit messy and I wouldn't want to verify, administrate or manage that. (It's an actual, rather large, HTML blob that you have to include on your page to display the button)

@walkero
Sorry for hijacking your post.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@orgin
No worries. I find the idea of having a link in OS4Depot on every project quite useful to be honest, and that would be great.

Maybe, if you have time to do it, usually for paypal the code is the same. Possible, an ID or the username changes.

So, it would be nice if the user has the option to select:
- Paypal, and add only the necessary info in a textfield, which you will get and add it at the standard script of the button
- Other, and add a URL link

And maybe at the future you could add other options as well. But I agree with you, not letting the user to add any script there. This should be monetized.

Follow me on
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Primax
In the case of MorphOS from WArMUp association has work in this with bounties and personal donations from the president, the problem is what developers to do the donation, and which projects, big, little, all, the other failure in the bounty system in all Amiga system has been searching a project and one developer responsible for it, when some developers has other projects or personal projects, donate computers, humm, when they hasve a cost of 300-400 euros the board where you find this money, because the Amiga users I think that we aren't richmen, and search external sponsors, well, this is a hobby computer not a sport team.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@walkero
The solution cans with a direct Paypal account for the author link for example like the WArMUp association and MorphOS store, or with someone that collect the donations and after the users of this site can choose or voted the people, but here the problem are the money and to have show the fonts and bills of money got and donated, and the donate computers, this is other problem, I knowed one case of one people that in the bad Amiga times and some company gifted Pegasos I for developers, this man never did programs and games for MorphOS to promote both the machine and OS, and this situation for the users can bother and angly them.

Go to top

Register To Post