Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

QEMU in PPC emulation mode
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
It seems that QEMU is able to emulate PowerPC according to this page:

http://www.qemu.org/status.html

I wonder what it would take to get OS4 to run on that, as an el cheapo development/testing environment.

[Edit:]
That is, taking all the boring issues about licensing and "we won't do it" out of the equation and just focus on what would be required on a technical level.

Edited by orgin on 2007/8/3 15:49:24
Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Re: QEMU in PPC emulation mode
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

It'll depend on possibility/availability of proper uboot, or OS4 able to boot on machine with bios similar to that used in qemu..
The latter probably won't happen. The former looks doable.

And other stuff as OS4 ability to run without the bridges used in A1 are to be solved too. Means more work on OS4 imho.

Lets' see what OS4 guys say about it.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

And other stuff as OS4 ability to run without the bridges used in A1 are to be solved too. Means more work on OS4 imho.

OS4 doesnt require an A1, it still runs on CSPPC and BPPC.
However, only the A1 version was pubished yet, and AFAIK
nobody has a license to run it outside of his A1.

There exist rumours that KMOS (or was it ITEC?) paid
Hyperion for a port of OS4 to an IBM PDA. You could ask
KMOS or IBM if they sell you a copy, maybe it doesnt require
UBoot. There exist other rumours that IBM closed its PDA
department so you may have problems to get the required
hardware. Some sort of Deja-Vu? Well, that happens when
you rely on small companies to build OS4 hardware.
Suggestions for bigger and better companies are welcome

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TetiSoft

Quote:

You could ask KMOS or IBM if they sell you a copy, maybe it doesnt require UBoot.

Maybe it doesn't require UBoot, but surely it requires what kind of bios/bootstraper the Arctic had.

Quote:

There exist other rumours that IBM closed its PDA department so you may have problems to get the required hardware

Rumors ? It's was announced years ago: the Arctic platform was based around the 4xx family of chips. IBM sold it to AMCC, the guys that build the CPU the Sam440.
So unless you convince AMCC to make you a PDA, well, it's a dead end.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TetiSoft

How about Embedded planet?

http://www.embeddedplanet.com/

EP40xC, EP440C and EP5200C are all products that OS4 can be ported to, if Hyperion was allowed to do so.

http://www.acube-systems.com/

Has there sam440 waiting for AmigaOS4.

http://www.genesippc.com/

Genesi real strategies are support as many Operating Systems they can for Elfia as possible.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Gee thanks for the off topic posts guys.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

Well, I talked to someone who claimed he managed to run OS4 under QEMU. The speed on Intel 3.3 GHz is comparable to A1/XE at 600MHz.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

IIRC, QEmu can run MacOSX (the PowerPC version), or was that PearPC? Anyway, if that's the case, ACube is supposed to have a Mac Mini port that they're hoping Amiga Inc. will give them a license for; that could work on QEmu/PearPC, assuming that we have drivers for the emulated hardware.

Hans

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TetiSoft

Quote:

TetiSoft wrote:
@Jack

Quote:

OS4 doesnt require an A1, it still runs on CSPPC and BPPC.
However, only the A1 version was pubished yet, and AFAIK
nobody has a license to run it outside of his A1.

Still boils to being tied to some hardware, in this case C/BPPC. To implement it in qemu? I doubt. Emulators are restricted to some architecture standard, usually a common one.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@AmiKit

That's not too bad. Though speed wouldn't be the main point. The main point would be to get the OS out there for development and testing purposes. A bit like the consoles have development setups that run on a normal PC rather than target hardware.

@all
I wouldn't suggest that this is done outside Hyperion, it would have to be done by them. I was just interested in what it would take on a technical level to get it done. Ignoring for a moment whether they have a license or not or want to do it or not.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@AmiKit

I doubt the truth of that. While I think that it wouldn't be difficult at all to run OS 4 on top of QEmu, I don't believe those that claimed to have done it.

It would take me a week or so to adapt the kernel to work on it, possibly less. But I would work from the source code.

Unless of course the person in question had access to the source code in which case he violated trust and all sorts of agreements and compiled Thomas and my code for a different platform. I hope that this is not the case.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Rogue

A week or so, hmm, I wish I had the money to pay Hyperion (and whomever) to allow you to do that then.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@amikit/ssolie

Please use the too hot to handle forum if you want to discuss who did or didn't do a port.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top

Register To Post