Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 112

BSzili, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »
Re: Updater locking up
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Thanks moved it to listviewer

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues
Interestingly that this crash in the Enhancer's format command: http://www.amiga.org/developer/bugreports/view.php?id=699

Also have in stack trace at the end : gadgets/listviewer.gadget:myLine_FreeColumn(). It's not the last one through, the last one comes from images/bitmap.image , but still, I have a feeling it's all can be about bugs in listviewer.gadget.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Could be please add this info to the bug report else it will be lost as I'm not going to hve time to trawl forums for details.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

I just installed the hot fix. Prior to that Updater was working for me using the old kernel and after enabling Effects in Prefs/GUI. Now after the hot fix, Updater locks up from dock, drawer and shell.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Paul

Weird... just enabled Prefs/Gui effects to give it a try, but updater still works.

AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 550 / ATI X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS 4.1 FE / Linux / MorphOS
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the NET
Vampire V4SE TrioBoot
RPI4 AmiKit XE
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have the same issue as Paul describes.
Updater locks up for me as well. Worked fine on on the pre-hotfix installation.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Skateman

When I enable the effects in prefs/gui, intuition tries to close all windows. Somehow it fails to do so, so the requester retries a couple of times until it remains open. But during this time, I am able to start Updater. After I pressed cancel to close the intuition requester, Updater continues to start fine until the next reset.

This doesn't work for me the other way around.

With effects enables, the system locks up before the Updater window is opened.
With effects disabled, the Updater window opens but fails to complete because of a lockup.

I don't have V3 of the RadeonHD driver yet. Maybe that is the issue. I will buy it tomorrow to find out.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@geennaam
Quote:

I don't have V3 of the RadeonHD driver yet. Maybe that is the issue. I will buy it tomorrow to find out.

No, the same issue for me with RadoenHD 3.7 as well. The crash is in listbrowser class, probably enabling/disabling compositing somehow trigger it differently (maybe on the relayout stage when gadget start to sort columns, etc)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@geennaam

No issues with updater..

Made a quick video..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UpuQT ... csPTRaU_/view?usp=sharing

AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 550 / ATI X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS 4.1 FE / Linux / MorphOS
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the NET
Vampire V4SE TrioBoot
RPI4 AmiKit XE
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Today the lockup issue disappeared. Both with compositing on and off.
Sounds like updater or one of its components might use an uninitialized variable or pointer.

Hard or soft reset will not clear the memory. Powering off the X5000 did the trick apparently. So it might fail again at random.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@geennaam
I tried lately the debug version of the listvwer.gadget attache by Andy there: http://www.amiga.org/developer/bugreports/view.php?id=702

But with this one, I can't reproduce lockup. Meaning that bug is damn one: memory layout shifts, binary start to be bigger, and bug disappear for a while or moved to some other random position.

Maybe you will be lucky to catch it with the debug version if you have a serial cable attached ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e
May be a corrupt xml file or something in the xml file causing the lockup .

Try backing up (For testing) then deleting

SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/ringhio.appsprefs.xml
and
SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/application_lib.amiga.com.xml

second one seems to be the culprit

Edited by Spectre660 on 2021/1/14 23:00:05
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Paul
@All

I have been running fine with AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 2 Hotfix.

Today, I installed some stuff from my Enhancer Software v1.5 CD. Of course, there have been updates since I purchased the CD. I launched Updater fine, updated some of the Enhancer software including listviewer.gadget and updated Updater to version 53.70.

This action kicked me out of updater. Next launch a grey window opened with no splash logo and no list. My mouse pointer was frozen and I had to reset the machine.

Just for the fun of it, I enabled compositing effects and launched Updater again. Launched fine and gave me a good list. However, 58% of my 32 MB video RAM was in use at this point. Quit Updater ok.

I disabled compositing effects again and launched Updater ok a few times. Much less video RAM in use.

Too late to check further tonight.

A MicroA1 has onboard Radeon 7000 and only 32 MB of video RAM. There is no way to increase the amount of video RAM.

Due to this limitation, I have kept compositing effects disabled for many, many years.

There is NO WAY that I will enable compositing effects again to make A-EON Updater happy.

I will check further tomorrow and rollback listviewer.gadget or Updater if necessary. As I indicated above, Updater was working fine while I was running the version included on my Enhancer CD.

NOTE: I do not run Updater from my AmiDock. I go to my System drawer and launch it from there.

---
redfox

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@redfox
With updater, it's all just random. On some setups, it works with compositing, on some not. On some crashes freezes, on some not. But at least we already find 2 separate issues and both are reported and Andy tried to deal with:

http://www.amiga.org/developer/bugreports/view.php?id=702
http://www.amiga.org/developer/bugreports/view.php?id=704

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Thanks very much.

---
redfox

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@redfox

Quote:
updated Updater to version 53.70.

This action kicked me out of updater. Next launch a grey window opened with no splash logo and no list. My mouse pointer was frozen and I had to reset the machine.

Just for the fun of it, I enabled compositing effects and launched Updater again. Launched fine and gave me a good list. However, 58% of my 32 MB video RAM was in use at this point. Quit Updater ok.

I disabled compositing effects again and launched Updater ok a few times. Much less video RAM in use.
So had Updater been updated by then? I.e. was it the new version you could run (with compositing) after the reset?

I can see the purpose of Updater "kicking you out" after it has updated itself, since it would need to restart. And maybe the grey window and freeze is because it doesn't quite succeed to restart under the meagre conditions of your Micro. But if it works after the reset, that's not too bad, I guess.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nbache
@all

As far as I can recall, when I got the first freeze on launch of Updater, Updater 53.70 was showing at the top of the screen where the Workbench Screen message normally shows.

Updater 53.70 launched ok a few times today. Then I changed some Updater settings to Startup iconified. My system didn't like that at all. Mouse pointer moved but no menus at all for Updater or anything else. I could still open drawers with the mouse.

I deleted my settings file for Updater and I have rolled back to Updater 53.65 and seemed to work fine after that.

Currently using Updater version 53.65 with default settings (no settings saved).

---
redfox

Edited by redfox on 2021/1/17 5:14:57
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
All who have issues with updater freezes: Andy seems to be dealing with it. Check this out:http://www.amiga.org/developer/bugreports/view.php?id=702

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Update...

Today, I realized that AmiPDF is the only application that I actually use from the Enhancer package, now that AmiDVD and PartitionWizard are porked.

Calendar and Clock are pretty, but just eyecandy.

MultiEdit and MultiViewer are nice, but I have been using NotePad and Multiview for so many years.

My system is a MicroA1. It has onboard Radeon 7000 and 32 MB video RAM. There is no way to upgrade the graphics. Due to this limitation, I disabled compositing effects years ago. I use OS4.0 look and feel, with square corners on windows.

Today, I removed the Enhancer elements from my system.

Perhaps, I will install Enhancer software in the future on a different system.

---
redfox

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@redfox
Maybe on the MicroA1 it makes no big sense indeed, but those apps are can be handy on MicroA1 too:

1). Exchanger
2). ClipViewer
3) Mutiedit and Multiview (still kind of improved version and feels more modern)

And that all probably, yes :)

Other must-to-have parts are not for Micro1 of course, like RadeonHD/Radeon RX drivers, Warp3dNova and ogles2.library. Also hardware-accelerated playback too, but it's part of "drivers" as well.

All the other stuff from Enhancer except maybe some classes are done by Trixie are for sure nothing.

Replaced components are a mess, have bugs, and have no needs.

If Mattew realizes that better to spend time ONLY on NEW stuff that OS didn't have already, instead of rewriting components on more buggy versions, then it all can be better.

Edited by kas1e on 2021/1/19 9:20:33
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »