Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
139 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

X5000 RTC
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
My X5000 has never kept time well so I have relied on the RTC. Just this last week it entered a mode of strangeness I don't understand or can explain.

If I do a SETCLOCK LOAD it loads the date/time from the last time I saved the date with SETCLOCK SAVE. As I keep my machine running for days I find that weird as if the clock is no longer running on the board. If I coldboot IE. Disconnect power and load OS the clock reverts back to 12/1/2001 12am.

I would think battery but I changed it last month to known good battery, I changed a bunch of coins from same batch with other devices and was seemingly working.(I have to go buy more)

Does battery have to be good for clock to run even when powered on?

There is something weird with X5000 if you leave them unplugged for periods of time or turn off power supply.

Every time I seem to un-power(Plug or turn off supply) the board for a few days it requires multiple reboots before the machine would not lock up. Now seems fine takes a few days to crash :)

I am beginning to wonder if something is not right with RTC and the NVM that does not like being unplugged. I have seen multiple posts regarding strange booting issues.

Anybody got thoughts?

Thanks
Doug

Go to top
Re: X5000 RTC
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@DStastny

I had lots of issues that were all down to the battery not fitting properly. All i can suggest is keep moving it around until it clicks into place and make sure it is not backwards.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@DStastny

In my Sys:Prefs/Time "Remote"-tab "Timeserver"-input I have "sth1.ntp.se",
have worked great for me and my X5000 the last 4 years.

Just find a timeserver that match your timezone.

1989-> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Vampire 500 V2+, Vampire 600 V2, Amy-ITX, Denise ITX <-2024
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@khayoz

Hi,
I have that configured fine. Its just the wonkiness's of the RTC and cold booting issues that has me puzzled.

Thanks
Doug

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@DStastny

Did you try a SetClock RESET yet?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nbache

That was it! The RTC clock is now running correctly again. Very odd. Not something I have experienced before.

Regards
Doug

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@DStastny

interesting indeed..so typing SetClock RESET in shell and that solved your buggy issues with your RTC? I always thought that just by changing the battery which usually takes a few minutes automatically resets the RTC chip

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@328gts

I think the problem is that re-applying power to the RTC (when inserting the new battery) can sometimes mess up the internal state of the thing, so it needs to be reset.

Or something - that's more or less me imagining how it happens .

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@328gts

I am not sure it solved all the weirdness but for now it keeps time between reboots. I need to test cold boot(turn off power supply) see what that does.

Doug

Go to top

Register To Post