Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

flash, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Crazy idea or not?
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
We all are talking a lot about how much needed is a new browser based on latest WebKit. And looking how far the Wayfarer for MorphOS is going I was thinking what we need to make this happen.

For sure money but also knowledge and experience for someone to start doing this.

Would make sense to find a developer outside of the AmigaOS community, with experience on WebKit porting and ask him to create for us a webkit port that we can use in our system? For the rest of the browser features I believe we can manage.

For that person we can give him ready cross development environment with gcc8 and all the necessary libraries and SDKs to start working on it. A few people will have to cooperate with him on providing the necessary tools, so that he will not need to search for that and lose time and interest.

This person can give us an estimated cost for this project, which we might be able to collect if we all contribute.

Is it that crazy? That crazy that it might actually work?

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Re: Crazy idea or not?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@walkero

Not an bad idea, have thought about it my self over the last couple of weeks.

OR make a demoscene competition out of it and make em compete for the 1:st place bounty,
then we will have a couple of extremely SUPER efficient browsers, no joke! :D

Edited by khayoz on 2020/12/31 3:07:02
1989-> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Vampire 500 V2+, Vampire 600 V2, Amy-ITX, Denise ITX <-2024
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
We will see what others think.
For now, I posted a question on stack overflow, just in case someone gives us some info and hints.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/65 ... ernative-operating-system

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@george
It's all easier than sounds. All the questions you post on StackOverflow already have answers. By anyone who was involved in the WebKit based browsers. You may just ask here about :) Or ask JadaCaps, he pretty open to explain what and how he does.

All you need is a skilled and motivated developer. It should be of course non-amiga developer, but then, you should motivate him. Without any bounties, without any other amiga-stuff. Just you and him.

I am sure for 10-25 thousand someone can take such a huge job, like, developers from the PPC-world of Linux.

There no needs to be any objective-C or whatever as Jadacaps go with Wayfarer (it's just his own wish to use ObjectC, nothing which makes it necessary). The whole WebKit is still c/c++.

All is about found out developers outside of the amiga community, deal with him, land him machine (and be sure he will not be the one "that and that didn't works, it's shit", but one who can deal with issues for sake of work, etc).

And to control it all, it should be someone with good knowledge. Not like throwing money out the window, because one will promise a shit of stuff :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I'd be happy to donate to such a project if we can find the right person. Collecting the money should be doable.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I think its a great idea! Happy to donate as well.

AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 550 / ATI X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS 4.1 FE / Linux / MorphOS
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the NET
Vampire V4SE TrioBoot
RPI4 AmiKit XE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Skilled, motivated and the one that has enough free time :)

A web browser is going to need monthly if not weekly maintenance so for one person it's a road to burnout as an after-work hobby :(

Go to top

Register To Post