Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 96

mbrantley, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

X5000 booting from USB without loading additional files from HDD + bootmenu mouse issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@All

Have a little issue about booting from USB on x5000.

I have my os4 ISO raw-write to the USB stick, and then to boot from I just go to Uboot and type there "usb reset" and then "boota".

And it will load up from the USB stick.

Now:

1). If I plug off my HDD, then it boots up from the USB stick fully as expected, with the suggestion to install OS, etc. All as expected.

2). If I attach my HDD which have already installed the system (but corrupted/broken) and repeat the same steps (i.e. "usb reset" and "boota" from uboot), then the kickstart modules and all initial stuff loads up from the USB, but remain files (like startup files, etc) loads up from my HDD's system partition.

Question is: how with plugged on HDD with working system partition, but broken installation, still boot from USB _ONLY_, but without disabling partition of HDD or whole HDD, so when I boot from USB I still need to install the clean OS over the broken/messed one on HDD.

Maybe by changing boot priority of HDD from 0 to let's say 1 (in hope that one from USB has 0)?

Edited by kas1e on 2020/12/20 11:59:06
Edited by kas1e on 2020/12/27 16:57:44
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: X5000 booting from USB without loading additional files from HDD , how ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Changing of boot priority didn't help, but what helps is:

1). boot from a USB stick while it also will load stuff from your system partition (if it didn't break much)

2). via media toolbox made it be non-bootable, save, reboot.

3). now boot from USB stick: everything will loads up only from the USB stick till the welcome screen, where you can use the media toolbox again together with installation and stuff.

So there you can or continue with WB (and repair all the stuff), or via media toolbox set your partition again as bootable, and install everything from scratch.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: X5000 booting from USB without loading additional files from HDD , how ?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Did you try this

https://forum.hyperion-entertainment.c ... wtopic.php?p=51787#p51787

Re: Install CD boots kickstart from CD then boots from HD ...

Post by tonyw » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:24 pm
You can force it to boot from the same volume that it loaded Kickstart modules from (normally it will always boot from the volume with the highest boot priority, but I think a CD has infinite priority).

Go into U-Boot command line and type:
"setenv os4_bootdevice auto"
"saveenv"

--- then it will always boot from the same volume it loaded KS from.
cheers
tony

Go to top
Re: X5000 booting from USB without loading additional files from HDD , how ? SOLVED
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Spectre

Checked, and I already have "os4_bootdevice=auto" set, and with that, I anyway have boot kickstarts from USB, but then boot from HDD other stuff if partition marked as bootable.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: X5000 booting from USB without loading additional files from HDD , how ? SOLVED
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e
How about pressing both mouse buttons to get to AmigaOS early-startup menu and select your boot device there? (Once UBoot has finished loading the kickstart modules, that is)

Regards,
Thomas

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Thomas
For me "2 buttons" never worked on x5000. I tried to press and hold them and when I only have x5000 boot screen. And right after kickstart modules loaded. Does not matter how hard I try.

Probably bug somewhere or so. Imho, the boot menu on loading should just scan if 2 mouse buttons pressed (and does not matter when I press them). Right now it looks like you should be lucky to be able to enter to boot menu.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Thomas
I read bootmenu.kmod documentation and find out that part:

Quote:

With some USB configurations, it may be difficult to enter the boot menu unless the mouse buttons or key are tapped repeatedly instead of being held down. In some cases it may be necessary to force bootmenu to wait
for some USB devices to initialize, by setting the firmware variable "bootmenu_waitticks" to 25, 50 or 100 ticks. This can be done from the Shell with the command 'NVSetVar bootmenu_waitticks 100' or from the firmware prompt with the command 'setenv bootmenu_waitticks 100'.

Going to U-Boot, and can't see any predefined bootmenu_waitticks environment, so just set a new one as it says to 100: and hooray! I can enter to boot menu with no problems! Just by holding 2 mouse buttons after x5000 power on, without needs to press on it like a madman. Just press and hold.

But then, meeting with another issue: my mouse didn't move up/down, only right-left. Probably because it's too a new one with 5 buttons. But anyway feels like a bug in bootmouse.usbfd.

Maybe that can be also an issue in the bootmenu.kmod itself, but dunno.

Unplug/replug mouse while in bootmenu didn't change a thing, so it something somewhere ..

Edited by kas1e on 2020/12/21 13:23:50
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e
Good to hear you were able to access the early-startup menu. But bummer about the mouse axis problems.

If I recall correctly you are OS4 beta tester, right? If so, and you are using latest USB modules I'd like to hear more about that mouse of yours - the bootmouse.usbfd should play along nicely if the mouse supports the bootmouse protocol. Otherwise I may have something I need to fix somewhere :)

Regards,
Thomas

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Thomas
Created a BZ and add you as CC, #10290 :) Let me know if I can be of any help, I can do all the prinf-debug tests of debug versions and all that stuff quite fast (i.e. today/tomorrow, or when you will have time, not after months or years of reports from my side) :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e
Thanks, I'll try to find some time to investigate it tomorrow.

Regards,
Thomas

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e

I have the same problem with a Klim Skill USB mouse in the early startup menu

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Lio
Check your mail/pm box

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: X5000 booting from USB without loading additional files from HDD + bootmenu mouse issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@All

Is anyone except me and Lio have the same issue with their mouse?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: X5000 booting from USB without loading additional files from HDD + bootmenu mouse issues
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e

I have no issues with wireless logitech M185 mouse when bootticks is set to 100.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@derfs

I am not about issues with coming to the boot menu, but about issues when you can move the mouse only left/right in the boot menu, that kind of issues :) (see last few posts)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e

Sorry, I was not clear - I meant that I can move my mouse in all directions in the boot menu which is now easier to get to due to setting bootticks to 100

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
When i try to boot the x5000 with an usb stick, it just looks for the usb and then resets the machine..
Anyone here experienced the same thing?

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique
Probably it tries to boot from USB, can't find it, and resets

Regardless of what is written on the wiki about x5000 boot from USB, that the way it actually works:

1). PowerOn.
2). "ESC" to go to the boot menu
3). choice "command line" (nothing else, but "command line")
4). type : "usb reset"
5). type : "usb storage"
6). see if after "usb storage" you have your mass storage stick listed in the output. If it listed, then:
7). type "boota".

And all should be fine.

If it didn't listen after you do "usb storage", try, all the same, just put USB stick to other USB port.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top

Register To Post