Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

amigait, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
adripper on X5000?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I tried to get adripper going, after I got CDPlayer to work using some imaginitive device renaming for the CD/DVD drive. But no matter what tool types I add to the adripper icon, I can't get it to recognize the (commercial) music CD in the drive.

I remember there are issues with optical drive recognition with the X5000. I currently have the DVD drive as the second device on the p5020sata.device. Is there a way to get this working with adripper? Maybe put the DVD on my Sil sata card? But then can I still boot from CD/DVD?

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Re: adripper on X5000?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Paul

Quote:
I remember there are issues with optical drive recognition with the X5000.

There are no drive recognition issues. The problem is that the p5020sata.device (still very beta) works in a non-standard fashion, upping the device unit number with every media insertion. So when you first insert a CD/DVD, the device is called CD0: When you remove it and insert another one, the device is called CD1:, and so on.

Such behaviour is, of course, utter and complete and total and absolute b*llocks: Amiga software does not expect optical drives to change the device name after merely changing the medium. ADRipper is not the only program to stumble upon this.

I could possibly add a workaround but I strongly believe the problem should be addressed at the system level. It's about time anyway.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Renamed? Does Adripper say "Selected device is not a CD-ROM drive"?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Thematic

When I start adripper I get a message that says:

"ADRipper Error
Unable to find or create image!"

Changing the tooltype to FORCEDEVICE=CD2: didn't do anything in ADRipper.

Adding the line FORCEDEVICE=p5020sata.device did not help any in ADRipper.

PlayCD is where I renamed the tooltypes to:
DOSDEV=CD2:
DEVICE=p5020sata.device

at whichpoint PlayCD started working.

BTW, the CD2: is the way my drive shows up in SysMon

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Paul

Quote:
Unable to find or create image!"

This error message has nothing to do with CD drives. It means that (some of) the GUI images could not be found. You probably haven't installed AISS, which is mentioned as a requirement in both the program documentation and the OS4depot file description.

Quote:
FORCEDEVICE=p5020sata.device

This wouldn't work anyway: the correct format is FORCEDEVICE=CD0: etc. But as I explained above, this tooltype is quite meaningless on the X5000 because the p5020sata.device does not keep a constant device name as it should.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie

Thanks for the continuing followup.

By checking the CDx: drive number in SysMon , then changing the tooltype in ADRipper, I have succesfully ripped one CD. Clicking on the MP3 file icon of a track plays it.

Now I need to figure out the syntax for pulling up files in the AmigaAmp3 playlist. I can drag'ndrop files from the ripped files drawer and they play, but I can't figure out how to get the sound files to show from the file requester.

Paul

Edited by Paul on 2020/11/25 18:12:43
X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Paul

Quote:
Now I need to figure out the syntax for pulling up files in the AmigaAmp3 playlist.

What are you trying to do exactly? ADRipper generates a standard, cross-platform .m3u playlist files which AmigaAMP plays fine on my system.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie

Thanks for the earlier heads up about installing AISS. I thought I had done that. But obviously not. Hard to keep straight what I've done with the XE and what I've done with the 5000.

I just saw in the documentation that you are the current maintainer of ADRipper. Cool! Thanks for your work. Now that I have used it to (re)rip the same CD a few times, I've found that I can manually change track titles, even though this disk wouldn't auto populate the disk info. I've also checked the box to add a file extension for .mp3. I think that might be what got the files to start playing in AmigaAmp.

And having played around more with the prefs in AmigaAmp, I now have everything working as it should be. After falling away from the Amiga when my A1-XE was dying, I'm getting to be more and more happy with my X5000.

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Paul

Quote:
this disk wouldn't auto populate the disk info

This is because the freedb.org server used for downloading the CD and track metadata was shut down by the new owner, unfortunately

Quote:
I just saw in the documentation that you are the current maintainer of ADRipper.

I am, and I've put months of work in updating the program and developing its plugins. That being said, ADRipper is end-of-line software now and there will be no further updates.

It is my plan to write a replacement from scratch, a program that would - for an estimated price of 20 EUR - offer the following new features:

- a freedb alternative, so that downloading metadata can work again;
- CD track playback using AHI;
- CD-Text support (hopefully, as the standard is rather quirky);
- a new encoder system offering more target audio formats with more options;
- a more modern GUI.

However, I'm not sure there will be enough interest, considering the downfall of the CD as an audio medium. Also, until the p5020sata.device is fixed there's really no point in trying.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@trixie

Quote:
This is because the freedb.org server used for downloading the CD and track metadata was shut down by the new owner, unfortunately
What about gnudb.gnudb.org?

It worked for me recently in the FreeDB application, haven't yet tried it in ADRipper.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nbache

Didn't work for me but maybe you'll be more lucky? (If you're not, my best guess at the culprit would be the lack of HTTP proxy configuration in ADRipper.)

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@trixie

I don't use a proxy here, so that's not going to be a problem.

I'll see if I can get around to trying it some time soon

Will let you know.

Edit:

Oh, I see ... my settings in FreeDB include using a proxy at gnudb.

proxy.gnudb.org, port 3128.

Still works fine in FreeDB, but no luck in ADRipper.

Hmmm ... are you sure you don't feel like making one last feature in ADRipper

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nbache

Quote:
are you sure you don't feel like making one last feature in ADRipper

I'm working on a bigger project at the moment. The project will produce something I can also leverage in the ADRipper replacement, giving me a good reason to embark on more substantial modernization.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie

Quote:
However, I'm not sure there will be enough interest, considering the downfall of the CD as an audio medium. Also, until the p5020sata.device is fixed there's really no point in trying.

I think it still has a place and a purpose, though. People might have a large library of CD's they would like to listen to on modern digital playback equipment or in the car (or on their Amiga's )

I'm still a generation behind that. I have a lot of vinyl I need to digitize first. I'd like to transfer it in full glory to CD's first, and then go to MP3 from there for car and Amiga. I'd buy the new version, bottom line.

As far as the p5020sata.device goes, I'd be doing these gradually enough, that I won't mind changing the tool type in the current ADRipper for each session.

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Paul

Quote:
I won't mind changing the tool type in the current ADRipper for each session.

Actually, you shouldn't need to change the tooltype at all. Whenever ADRipper starts it builds a fresh list of current CD drives, so after inserting a new CD and restarting the program ADRipper should pick it up - or at least you can select it from the drive selector (the pop-up at the bottom-left of the program window).

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie

OK. Thanks for that tip.

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

I would gladly pay that amount for an ADRipper replacement. Let's hope we get the p50x0sata.device fixed soon. Also another feature I'd like to see is that when it downloads the meta-data, if it's not already in the local cddb database, that it's then added to it.

Valiant@Camelot
AmigaOne XE, 800Mhz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u7
Sam440ep, 666Mhz, 512Mb, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u6
A1-X1000, 1.8Ghz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1x
A1-X5000/40 2.2Ghz, 2GB, Radeon HD 7700, OS4.1 FE ud 2
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Valiant

Adding local metadata to the online database (upload) is already a feature in ADRipper.

You can name your tracks, set the genre etc. and upload it just fine (given the database http address is correctly set up).

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Valiant

Quote:
Let's hope we get the p50x0sata.device fixed soon.

The problem was already fixed in FE Update 2.

Quote:
another feature I'd like to see is that when it downloads the meta-data, if it's not already in the local cddb database, that it's then added to it.

The "Connect to server only if needed" should give you what you want (if I understand your request correctly). In that case, ADRipper uses the CDDB database stored locally on your computer.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

I remember it was fixed right after I posted that.

What I'm looking for is a way to add the CD info to my local CCDB database when it's not already there. PlayCD will do it and so does FreeDB (sometimes). It would be nice if ADRipper did it also, so I don't have to run PlayCD/FreeDB in addition.

Valiant@Camelot
AmigaOne XE, 800Mhz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u7
Sam440ep, 666Mhz, 512Mb, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u6
A1-X1000, 1.8Ghz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1x
A1-X5000/40 2.2Ghz, 2GB, Radeon HD 7700, OS4.1 FE ud 2
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »