Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

Maijestro, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 12 »
Re: Company<->User communication...Is it still a thing today?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Magellan I would not say doing nothing

I use Magellan in my distribution, also Icaros uses it

"ApolloOS" on vampire also uses magellan (I think the old one)

And certainly some users out there too

Finally the community is very small now, you cannot make real money and only few skilled developers left. I think expecially in the "NG"-Community expectations were too high, partly fueled by announcements like Libre Office ported to 4.X. People spent lots of money for new hardware to get something useable in todays terms but that not became reality. And now the disappointment is even bigger. Honest communication and not making unrealistic promises would have been better. MorphOS team there is better, they do not make promises but deliver. On 4.X it is the opposite ;)

And of course even on open source you need management. Linux f.e. is not chaotic either. Kernel development is in one hand. Open Source only makes it easier to contribute and you can use it without legal problems (of course depending on the conditions)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rob

Because of that nobody will ever buy 4.X and they will never find a new investor

Good example is magellan, they opened the sources for really little money. If they would have asked for the money that was invested in it in the 90s there would have been unrealitics amount of money.

The money something is worth depends on what you can do with a product, how much money you currently earn with it, the user base paying f.e. for updates and what you need to invest in it in future.

You can guess that 4.X is not "worth" a lot of money for a investor. The expectations Ben H. seems to have are completely unrealistic there. And even then... you would need to have spend lots of money both in OS development and software development so I am not sure if there is any investor out there being interested. You would have to answer why not f.e. invest in Linux then what is much safer.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@OlafS3

Quote:
MorphOS team there is better, they do not make promises but deliver. On 4.X it is the opposite ;)

I agree. But to make a fair comparison, the ownership and management of MorphOS is not tied to an unpredictably company that has based its business model on lawsuits and legal threats.

The development of OS4 has always relied on motivated contributors, few of which were ever paid for their efforts. This worked while the developers believed they were on a community project driven by a shared dream. Things changed when Hyperion showed their true colours and started using their OS4 licence as a way to extort more rights from others by legal pressure. This has created a disgusting atmosphere that can hardly keep the developers motivated and loyal. MorphOS is lucky to be free of all that.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nbache
>Just to make absolutely sure:
>
>You are sure you mean Updater and not AmiUpdate, right? >They are two completely different things.
>

Yep, sorry I didn't realize that 'updates' available were just couple of gadgets :D (and Multiviewer update). I was looking something bigger... like Warp3DNova update or something :)

Really active forum-item we managed to get - and to get back on topic (from my side atleast), I would really like to get some updates about:
- Office tools, are we getting anything (OO for surely not, but anything else) - yes we have AmiCygnix (but it just seems to be more unstable with new release on my x5000)
- Anything else that's ongoing there - any other projects that people are working on that we're not aware of?

I myself have lost already some motivation for OS4 as it's coming more and more obsolete especially because of the browser, but hey now I have time to get my classic machines back on track...Personal Paint and AmIRC works on my A4000 and A2000 as well as it does on x5000 :D

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

Quote:
I agree. But to make a fair comparison, the ownership and management of MorphOS is not tied to an unpredictably company that has based its business model on lawsuits and legal threats.

Code ownership, on the other hand, is related to people who don't always have to be predictable. As far as I know in MOS the ownership of every piece of code is owned by its author.

People have a short memory and flatter MOS today, but I remember that until recently, MOS had not had an update for over 1000 days, people were leaving the system and there were opinions that it was already dead. And the reason for the stagnation was that one of the developers quit and took his code. It took 3 years for MOSTeam to deal with it.

Summing up, 5 years ago AmigaOS 4 was lucky and MOS was unlucky with the ownership of the code. Today, MOS is lucky and AmigaOS 4 is unlucky, but no one knows whether an offended programmer will leave MOSTeam tomorrow, and Hyperion will finally deal with the licenses and the sun will shine for us.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mufa

I remember the MorphOS desktop was open sourced many years ago.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@OlafS3

I didn't say anything about what OS4.x might or might not be worth. I was talking about the software owned and developed by A-EON, namely what is included in the Enhancer bundle. This is why I addressed them separately in my answer

This software is still actively developed and sold and I do have some idea of how much has been invested.

GP Soft open sourced Magellan nearly a decade and a half after Amiga development ceased, not in 1997.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Tohe

Web browser stuff used to be a lot worse, I think keeping up with mainstream is impossible, but not being 100% irrelevant is possible.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tolkien

Quote:
AOS4 users are still great.

We're trying our best

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The Amiga Developer Team is pleased to announce our new Blog:

http://blog.amigadeveloper.com

It will periodically cover topics about our latest projects authored from various members of our team.

amigakit.com - the Amiga store
Links: www.amigakit.com | New Products | Enhancer Software
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@amigakit

Thank you very much for starting this. It's a step in the right direction!

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigakit
This feels like a step in the right direction 🙏

This is just like television, only you can see much further.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigakit

Nice! Thanks for listening to the users! Looking forward to follow the blog. :)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@amigakit

Thanks! Looking forward to the news being posted there. It might even help developers when we as community members know what they are working on. We can test early code, or help with things they need, of dont have the time for... (could be lots of things)

Edited by Skateman on 2020/10/18 9:49:39
Edited by Skateman on 2020/10/18 9:50:17
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 550 / ATI X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS 4.1 FE / Linux / MorphOS
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the NET
Vampire V4SE TrioBoot
RPI4 AmiKit XE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@amigakit

Think this is a good idea, it be great if let say there one person responsible, (a team coordinator), maybe once a month, check commit logs, ask the developers, and make small summary of the work over the last month.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Skateman

Quote:
It might even help developers when we as community members know what they are working on.

My first contribution to the A-EON blog will be an account of the new ToolBar Gadget I've developed for the Enhancer project. The article will be written with developers in mind so that they can start using this cute little gadget in their own software. The ToolBar is more configurable and much easier to set up compared to the standard system SpeedBar Gadget. It is going to be made available as part of the free Enhancer Core pack (watch out for AmiWest news).

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

Great! Looking forward to your Blog article.

It could also be helpfull to make some sort of a ToDo section on the blog regarding the pending projects. If the Coders spend their time on code... we might be able to help out on other fronts. beta testing, suggesting, translating etc.

AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 550 / ATI X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS 4.1 FE / Linux / MorphOS
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the NET
Vampire V4SE TrioBoot
RPI4 AmiKit XE
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigakit

Thank you!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie

Looking forward to read your article1

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Trixie
Talking about new classes and stuff, and as you probabaly one of the communicable person : is anyone plan or work on some "text editor" new gadget, which will replace system one, and be fast, have semi-modern functionality , highlighting, buttons configuration and co, so everyone can use it when need to attach editor. At least that can be pretty good candidate for "what to do"

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 12 »