Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmigaOS 4.1 on WinUAE
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi All,

I'm working on getting OS 4.1 running on my PC laptop. Using the great information on Tom's Homepage I have an install to the point that it boots reliably. I have the UAEGFX setup so the display is high res and high color.

Where I'm having problems is getting the networking going. I've had both the x-surf-100 and the A2025 initalized to the point the OS was getting an IP. At that point I was able to ping the WinUAE gateway but not the DNS IP's.

Anyone here have Networking working with OS 4 on WniUAE?

Thanks!
Bill "tekmage" Borsari

Go to top
Re: AmigaOS 4.1 on WinUAE
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
I am sure white is going to contribute on this topic a lot. He is messing with this stuff a lot.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tekmage

found this

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76608

You have to use ethernet.device from Aminet:

http://aminet.net/package/driver/net/Ethernet

Install that in your Devs/Networks drawer and then go to SYS:Internet
Select New Connection -> Local Area Network -> Manual Configuration

Select the Commodore A2065
Change the device from A2065.device to ethernet.device

from http://www.pjhutchison.org/emulation/uae_config.html

7. Can I access the Internet through Winuae?

That is possible. You can through the PC's Internet connection by enabling the bsdsocket.library support feature on the Expansions page of
Winuae configuration. Make sure you go on line before loading Winuae. It will work on Dial up and Broadband internet access. There is no need to
install any other TCPIP/Internet software.

For AmigaOS 4.1 on PowerPC systems, do not use the bsdsocket.library option in Winuae, instead use the bsdsocket.library v4.307, that is supplied with AmigaOS 4.1 (see Libs:).

hope it helps

when i got os4.1 running on winuae, i didnt do anything. it jusr worked, i still have the config files somewhere is you still need

Sam460ex 2GB 120Gb SSD&1Tb HD7750 Envy24HT A-Eon Drv 2.10+Warp3D New Uboot
Apollo v4 Standalone
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tekmage

Quote:
At that point I was able to ping the WinUAE gateway but not the DNS IP's.

WinUAE's built-in NAT router does not supprt ICMP. This means that Ping, Traceroute and similar utilities won't work.

But normal network traffic should work. So if your laptop is connected to the internet just try to open https://www.google.com in a web browser. Or http://www.amiga-news.de if SSL is not working yet.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi tekmage,
if you have errors in the configuration in the wizard it is normal that it happens a few times in winuae after having already made a connection or having the wrong procedure.
Do it like this:
Start the emulation from Floppy and CD as if it is the first time you are installing.
Select Live CD
then delete in Devs / NetInterfaces / your configuration (ethernet) <---
then delete in Devs / Networks / the ethernet.device file <---
reboot your system normally and copy ethernet.device again
in Devs / Networks /
Restart normally and repeat the wizard, now everything will work.

separate note:
your configuration must be right so:
expansion -> network adapters -> A2065 enabled
then
network mode -> SlirpOpenPorts
just follow the wizard and choose automatic and the ethernet.device "driver"
I hope it's useful, that was what you were looking for?

Edited by white on 2020/9/22 17:42:33
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@white

Thanks for the information! I had been using "mac mode" so I'll switch to SlirpOpenPorts and see if that works better.

One interesting thing about the internet prefs app is when you select the network device it actually does a probe the device and will populate the "type" string with "Ethernet" if the device is working correctly. I've been an OS 4 user for 16 years and can count on one hand the times I've used the Internet Wizard :)

I had noticed that the C= A2025 device stopped probing correctly when I enabled audio. Is that expected?

Cheers,
Bill "tekmage" Borsari

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tekmage

Hows the emulation speed?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tekmage
Unfortunately I never had real hardware so my experience is based on winuae only.
some little things differ in winuae however unlike real hardware.

If you just need to complete the internet connection then I recommend using RTL8029-PCI as a "driver"

If during use you happen to have lag or other problems then you can use ethernet.device is probably more compatible with your modem-router in this case.
But I advise you to try RTL8029-PCI first

You must also enable one of the two peripherals you have available in PCI bridgebords:
Mediator or G-Rex
Mediator is generally the recommended one.
I personally use G-Rex it allows to allocate more memory in winuae.
To activate G-Rex in the startup-sequence there is a floppy.adf in the 4.1FE CD in this case if you need some advice I'm happy to help you.

As an audio driver sb128 is currently the best choice.
Paula makes the sound heard and seems to work but in reality with more advanced configurations and while using the applications you will do later you will encounter problems.

The A2065 like RTL8029 can stop working in case if you try different configurations like choosing PCI etc.
But once you have your final setup this will never happen again except in very rare cases.

I made a small video on how to connect to the internet via RTL8029-PCI is also valid for Ethernet.device the procedure is the same:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF-Ivs0OZ_w

if you have to delete your old configurations the previous advice on how to do it is valid.
I hope it is useful, I am pleased to find people who use 4.1FE with winuae, currently there are not many who use it.

Go to top

Register To Post