Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmIRC for OS4 is it still available?
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
Hello everyone.
An AmigaOS 4 compatible version of AmIRC used to be available from OS4Depot, but long gone. This cannot be found on Aminet as well. Although I have that version, I would like to know if someone has the code, or if it is available anywhere. Is anyone maintaining that code? Is there a possibility to see newer versions?

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Re: AmIRC for OS4 is it still available?
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Just for information. Amirc was removed from OS4Depot by request from Harry Sintonen.

If you want a new version it would have to be from him.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
I found that news item at amiga-news.de (https://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2012-01-00026-EN.html).
It seems there is some drama behind AmIRC source code? Does anyone have more info since then?

Follow me on
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The drama was something like:
Amirc was opensourced but it turned out not everyone who has been involved in the development wanted to opensource it so the sources was removed but by then Costel had already made a version for os4.

Amirc has supperior arexx functions but who uses it nowdays?
The plugin system is also good but i don't see much use for plugins.
I would rather see an updated wookiechat as it has functions that is worth more for me than the functions in amirc.
Wookiechats main problem is that it's not stable enough.
iirc it could handle multiple servers and display utf8.
Amirc can handle utf8 with some plugin that is only available on morphos and you have to run one instance for every server you want to connect to.

For me irssi is supperior to both of them so i have not used any of them for years so i dont really care but if irssi was unavailable and i had to choose wookie or amirc.

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
Since there is a permission from the original developers to open source the code, this should be already somewhere available, IMO, at it's original form, before the changes of OS4 and MorphOS developers. After that, if anyone wants to contribute, or create a fork, that could be possible.

After so many years keeping such code closed no newer versions and constant maintenance happened. So, I am saying that it is better to be open and let the community contribute, and decide the future of the app.

@smf
To return to a shell IRC client, like the very good irssi, on a machine that influenced the GUI IRC clients, for me is no go. Even more that irssi is not available for OS3 & 4, or at least I couldn't find an available release.

Maybe you are right and we should focus on Wookiechat, which is already open sourced. But I am not sure how possible it is to make it more stable.

Follow me on
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@walkero

I prefer gui programs most of the time but irc is one of the few times when even i can work with a shell program :)

About why i prefer irssi:

I run irssi from some linux computer on my network 24/7 (atm it's a rpi3) and by doing that i can access the same client from whatever computer i'm using with ssh, i can do it from anywhere in the world.
For years i was doing it on Os4 by using a small rdesktop window with xterm maximized so it covers the full window.
Now with sshterm i rarely use the rdesktop method anymore. I just click on the sshterm icon to connect and enters "screen -dr" to bring back my screen with irssi.

Go to top

Register To Post