Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

password hacked? resolved
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Today I got a blackmail email with my OS4Depot password mentioned. I am now unable to log on at OS4Depot to change my password. I'm not sure how a hacker got my password but I need to change it. My username is xenic. Help please!

Edited by xenic on 2020/5/7 18:13:09
Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Re: password hacked?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Intresting. A few days ago I also received one of those blackmail emails with an old password I used to use for some amiga sites. I can't seem to log into OS4Depot right now either.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
ohh boy hope my account doesn't get hacked as I was there a few days ago with no issue but this news worries me...looks like site compromised so probably not good idea to change password now..

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@328gts
I checked my files and I think I might have used the password at a different site previously. It may not have been hacked from OS4Depot and the fact that I can't log in there could be a coincidence. I just need to change my OS4Depot password or get it removed.

The person who sent the email apparently doesn't know I'm an Amiga user because he threatened to release compromising pictures and my old monitor, Amiga and phone don't have cameras.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Most likely, they got the password from a historic security breach. You may remember some high-profile security breaches where hackers managed to steal millions of passwords. Well, those email addresses and passwords are now "public knowledge" (if you know where to look). Anyone can download them, and then start trying to blackmail people.

I've received these blackmail emails in the past before, because one or two of my old passwords got exposed in these data breaches.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans
Quote:
Most likely, they got the password from a historic security breach.

True. OS4Depot lists amigans.net as the contact point, which is why I'm posting here. Hopefully I'll get the attention of one of the OS4Depot staff soon.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@xenic

I'va also received blackmail emails over the last couple of days, just as I did some years ago - same old aw.net password that I changed many years ago now.

I wouldn't worry about it.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tonyw
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.

Since I'm no longer able to log in at OS4Depot after getting the blackmail that contained the password, my concern is that someone may have changed my password and might upload malware using my account.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
As tonyw said, someone hacked aw.net in 2018 and all passwords in the database was leaked/sold to some f''ker who spread/used them to spammers to guess/hack/blackmail the linked e-mail adresses on aw.net.

A lot of aw.net users experienced these same bullcrap blackmail e-mails,
but what ever you do, don't fall for it and pay!

In my blackmails I got a password that was all wrong, like encrypted, been a member since 2005? And doubt they encrypted passwords back then, if they even do it now..

So change your passwords often, whatever page you're on!

EDIT: There is an easy way to look if your e-mail has been hacked

https://haveibeenpwned.com

Which shows potential breaches where your e-mail was pwned,
but don't panic if it shows up, it could be a long time ago or
just that your e-mail adress was in a database that was hacked.

So never use the same password for your e-mail login as you do on forums/other sites, just change your e-mail/forum/site passwords,
and do it often!

Be safe, stay healthy and alive!

Edited by khayoz on 2020/5/5 5:38:08
1989-> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Vampire 500 V2+, Vampire 600 V2, Amy-ITX, Denise ITX <-2024
Go to top

Register To Post