Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 118

geennaam, VooDoo, Georg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmigaOS 4.1 FE boots to blank "Workbench screen"
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Seems like I've somehow managed to mess up my setup...

Was changing the preferences in the "Locale" program to set country, language etc., but it when I tried to save the new settings, a requester appeared with garbled text.

Could not get the requester to go away, so decided to do a reboot.

Computer started up, got the AmigaOS 4.1 FE logo, but after that it ended up with a blank screen saying "Workbench screen" on top. Mouse working, but no content.

Tried rebooting several times, turning computer on and off, but am lost on what to do.

I'll probably do a complete re-install, but before resorting to that, any ideas on what can be wrong? I have tried searching for solutions, but could not find any. Only thing I found was something about a "Quickfix" from years back that caused this kind of problem.

Setup:

SAM 460 - AmigaOS 4.1 FE (with latest update) - RadeonHD driver / 6450 HD card

Thanks in advance. :)

Best regards from clumsy Bob

Go to top
Re: AmigaOS 4.1 FE boots to blank "Workbench screen"
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Try deleting all #?.prefs in envarc:sys first, then reboot. Obviously you'll need to set up your preferences again.

Someone wise will probably tell you to back them up first, then try copying each one over in turn until it "breaks" again :)

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@BobSacamano
Try to do a no startup-sequence boot and at the terminal write
loadwb SKIP

This will load Workbench but will skip the WBStartup apps. Then try to load the prefs you tried to change and fix them.

Maybe the garbled text you mentioned was because of the changed language. Some parts of the workbench change just fine when you change the locale, but some others need to do a reset first, i.e. the context menus.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi guys and thanks for the help! Will try this later today. :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
A quick update in case someone else experience the same problem. Deleting prefs and and inserting loadwb SKIP did the trick. :) Now the desktop is back in action again! Thanks so much for your help!

Go to top

Register To Post