Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Torn between accelerators

See User information
I am seriously torn between running a Blizzard 1220 card, a Blizzard 030 and an 060 board. The modest board shows the Amiga off with just 4MB fast mem. The 030 with 64MB is both compatible and powerful but it can't run the latest big demoscene productions and the 060 is expensive and impressive but least compatible for classic games. Only room for 1 Amiga. Which should I stick with?

Go to top
Re: Torn between accelerators
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@A1200
Personally I'd go with an '030 (or an '040 if you can get one), but it really depends on what you consider most important: Classic games or the latest demoscene productions?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
personally I would take the 060 if I were in you because you have more power.. i am in love with the blizzard 030 50Mhz it was my first board and I did, really, a lot of things, but the 060 is another planet. Moreover, keep in mind, that with the WhdLoad you solve all the compatibility problems with classic games.. So my advice is for the 060, you won't regret it

Go to top

See User information
Ok after considering what's possible with the 030 /68882 50MHz you only need to look at something like TBl's Tint demo. The 060 is going to cost me at least twice as much but up to three times as much. My Blizzard's 030 chip is a revision C so the whole thing runs with a moderate temperature. If I got another 060 (had one years ago) it would run more stuff but the it would be like what about PPC/Picasso/audio card etc. So going to stick with the B1230/50MHz/64MB/FPU. Thanks to all who put opinion across on here and the other forums I posed this question.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@A1200

solution is by both a 030 & 060 as you only need one amiga to run which ever accelerator board you prefer
if you must choose one then go with the 060 and if you have problems with your fav games/ programs ask for the many workarounds available and if all fails you will Always make your money back and more if you choose to sell it

mancave-ramblings

Go to top

See User information
Now finished playing with this Blizzard 1230 MK IV its also for sale. [URL="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263117244852"]Link[/URL].

Amiga A1200, 3.1 ROMs, Blizzard 1230 MKIV 128MB & FPU, 4GB DoM SSD, Workbench 3.1
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have just bought my first accelerator for one of my A1200.

Viper 1230/28 with the M-Tec Mastercard (SCSI controller)

My first problem is that I now get an error on start-up

"A 68030 processor was found in the system, but a corresponding CPU library is missing. This may cause some programs to hang or may cause caching issues in I/O operations"

Is there anywhere I can obtain this library?

Btw not tried the SCSI controller yet

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@A1200

With my 060 I never felt sad because some games did not run.
Maybe I was less interested by old games than you. Or using WHLload games was more than enough for me.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
WHDload fix most of problems and I don't want to use floppies, so I'm very happy with my 68060 accelerators.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information

Go to top

Register To Post